Author Topic: Book Recommendations  (Read 6895 times)

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: Book Recommendations
« Reply #45 on: 09:08:39, 12/04/20 »
Unfortunately out of print but I highly rate One Man and His Bog by Barry Pilton as a very funny read.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&cm_sp=SearchF-_-home-_-Results&an=&tn=one+man+and+his+bog&kn=&isbn=

On my shelf somewhere - will locate and revisit :)
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 09:23:56, 12/04/20 »
On my shelf somewhere - will locate and revisit :)
If enough of us have a copy we should read it at the same time.
What happens at a book club? In my head it is a group of women getting together to drink prosecco and compare the inadequacies of their men but I suppose reading may have some slight connection to it too.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 11:20:46, 12/04/20 »
If enough of us have a copy we should read it at the same time.
What happens at a book club? In my head it is a group of women getting together to drink prosecco and compare the inadequacies of their men but I suppose reading may have some slight connection to it too.

I can assure you that a ladies book club is a gathering of highly intellectual, discerning and knowledgeable women enjoying in depth discussion and strong well informed opinions on the book currently under review in which prosecco has no part.

No doubt why I've never been invited to join one
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Rigel

« Reply #48 on: 19:04:34, 12/04/20 »
If there was book club that was specifically for the reading of Tim Dorsey novels, I'd happily join. I'd likely even find myself as the founder of the aforementioned book club.  And I highly doubt that prosecco would be the drink of choice in the book club, save for when  there's nothing else left to drink.

I'm presently reading Tim Dorsey's  Hurricane Punch

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 19:25:17, 12/04/20 »
I thought he played the jazz trombone.  I remember getting sentimental over it.  ;)
Solvitur Ambulando

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 19:38:42, 12/04/20 »
I will happily read many types of book, both factual and fiction. However, I cannot fathom why I would want to get together with a group of other people and discuss the book, even if alcohol was involved. This probably goes back to my least favourite subject at school - English Literature. I just couldn’t see the point of it as a subject. At the time I read between 50 and 100 books per year, but resented being asked to write meaningless essays about them. Even worse was Shakespeare. Why would any sane human want to read a play in olde English? Enforced visits to the theatre to see the plays made it worse. I have read and enjoyed Dickens, Hardy and Solzhenitsyn, but just couldn’t get into Shakespeare. Worst of all in this class was poetry. Why make teenaged kids read and write about poetry, unless it is being used as a form of torture?

So, to me, a book club seems like a waste of good drinking or reading time. Am I a Phiilistine?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 19:47:34, 12/04/20 »
I felt the same way Philis.  Probably why I ended up doing sciency things in the 6th form.  I enjoy watching Shakespeare's plays now but I still would not sit down and read one.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rigel

« Reply #52 on: 19:49:36, 12/04/20 »
I thought he played the jazz trombone.  I remember getting sentimental over it.  ;)

Two Tim Dorsey's, who would have believed  it? lol.  I'm still trying to get my head around there being two 'Ronaldos'

Admittedly, at least one of them is now affectionately and more commonly know as 'Fat' Ronaldo. Which probably serves as a sharp reminder, if you're commonly known by a single name only, somebody is likely  to get pushed out of the limelight! If you're a doppleganger, not so much.

Rigel

« Reply #53 on: 19:59:06, 12/04/20 »

So, to me, a book club seems like a waste of good drinking or reading time. Am I a Phiilistine?

No, you're not a philistine.  But if you had ever read Tim Dorsey books, you'd get the joke about a group of like-minded people coming together to read his books. It would be like a book reading club whereby Nurse Ratched presided, and all hell broke loose. 

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 20:36:35, 12/04/20 »
I will happily read many types of book, both factual and fiction. However, I cannot fathom why I would want to get together with a group of other people and discuss the book, even if alcohol was involved.
I would no more want to join a book club than I would a walking group!   :)

This probably goes back to my least favourite subject at school - English Literature. I just couldn’t see the point of it as a subject. At the time I read between 50 and 100 books per year, but resented being asked to write meaningless essays about them. Even worse was Shakespeare. Why would any sane human want to read a play in olde English? Enforced visits to the theatre to see the plays made it worse. I have read and enjoyed Dickens, Hardy and Solzhenitsyn, but just couldn’t get into Shakespeare. Worst of all in this class was poetry. Why make teenaged kids read and write about poetry, unless it is being used as a form of torture?
I studied English Literature at degree level, so I read a lot of Shakespeare and actually enjoyed it!    :)   Loved poetry   

But those books now just sit on my shelves.  Other interests have taken over.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: 08:30:07, 13/04/20 »
Even worse was Shakespeare. Why would any sane human want to read a play in olde English? Enforced visits to the theatre to see the plays made it worse.
I had the real advantage of not being made to read any Shakespeare as our school were trialling a new Olevel syllabus. I felt that this was a gap in my education and in my late teens decided that before I went to college I should read some. It was not easy but I wanted to do it so stuck with it and now like it. Young people reading Shakespeare plays is like getting them to read an accurate description of a rugby match without ever having seen a match or knowing what the rules are.
Some things you just have to work at to appreciate. I know nothing about whisky, if you offer me one I'll drink it but give me the cheap stuff I just don't get why some people will wax lyrical about one and not another.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 09:54:19, 13/04/20 »
When I was still living in London I took my parents to see a production of The Tempest at Regent's Park open air theatre, at the interval I asked my dad what he thought, his reply "very good apart from the fu$£!ng torturous language"  :) and this from someone who loves opera....
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: 09:59:29, 13/04/20 »
I saw an NSC production of The Tempest  last year.  Whatever Shakespeare was smoking when he wrote that - I want some.  Definitely not the easiest play.
Solvitur Ambulando

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: 10:05:40, 13/04/20 »
As with everything some operas/plays, and also some productions of them, are better than others.

Opera is definitely something that can grow on you over time, though so can varrucas.
I appreciate opera more now than I once did but I wouldn't pay for a ticket.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #59 on: 10:30:38, 13/04/20 »
I saw an NSC production of The Tempest  last year.
I give up ninthace, put me out of my misery. I can't think of a theatre company whose initials are NSC that did the Tempest last year.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy