Author Topic: New member  (Read 946 times)

Hiking43#

« on: 22:39:21, 23/12/20 »
Hi Everyone,

I am  planning on walking form Minehead to Lands End along the SWCP in May 2021 I have planned for 14 days hopefully this will go ahead.

This will be my longest hike I am mainly a day hiker or the odd overnighter so am giving myself plenty of time to prep myself for it

Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: 22:48:56, 23/12/20 »
Welcome to the forum from Aberdeenshire

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 23:15:29, 23/12/20 »
Hi and welcome from me in North London.
We have some SW members who hopefully will be able to help.

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:04:31, 24/12/20 »
Greetings from Northumberland  :)
For multi-day walks, my advice at this stage would be 1) get accustomed to walking appropriate distances 2) start thinking about what you absolutely must have in your haversack 3) consider how to save every last ounce of weight!
The fact you are already getting your head around it makes me suspect you probably know this  O0

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:14:13, 24/12/20 »
Welcome from Devon :)

I'm not sure from your post whether you intend B&Bing or backpacking. Either is perfectly possible on the SWCP between Minehead and Lands End - I've done both.
It is pretty much a tourist area, though few tourists venture far from habitation so the path itself is still pleasant to walk, so plenty of options for accommodation both B&B and camp sites. 
Wild camping on the cliff tops outside the agricultural land is no problem though technically not legal, of course.
No need to carry lots of food as you can pick up both food and drink as you go along.

Enjoy - I certainly did :)
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:35:46, 24/12/20 »
There are over 50,000 feet of ascending, and obviously descending, so practice walking up and down steep hills if you can. A wonderful walk, a different sight around every headland. See the following for accommodation:-

Accommodation Finder - South West Coast Path  
I did the whole SWCP in April/May 2007 and managed to find single accommodation every night without booking in advance, apart from memory Clovelly where I did book in advance. I carried a small tent in case of need.  One of my favourite long-distance walks alongside the Pennine Way and the Camino Frances.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:10:56, 24/12/20 »
We are all different and all of us live in different locations. For me, I live within 500yds of the sea, the idea of doing a coastal walk would not appeal to me at all. I'm OK with lake edges but that's just about it. If you are in that area and want to combine your walk with a bit of inland walking I fully recommend The Two Moors Way.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy