Author Topic: TR 25th May - A Howgills wander  (Read 8833 times)

karl h

• Veteran Member
Re: TR 25th May - A Howgills wander
« Reply #15 on: 20:46:33, 26/05/20 »
Stunning.  Funny you mention Ravenglass as I'm literally (tonight!) planning a route from there for when we've got out of 'lockdown' proper!
Thanks mate O0
The normal one way train fare from my neck of the woods is 34.50 but  For some reason  on couple of trains during the day it's only a tenner so I thought it was worth the gamble. Great walking over Muncaster Fell into Lakeland from Ravenglass

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 20:47:53, 26/05/20 »
Squeaky says yes as long as A + B can come because someone has to carry her food  O0

I truly hope we have been let out of prison by then  :(

Go on then...but no snoring or farting and bring gas :D

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 20:55:57, 26/05/20 »
Great pics karl O0
Yes April does a lot of that ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 20:58:33, 26/05/20 »
Great pics karl O0
Yes April does a lot of that ;D
Thanks mate O0  Hopefully wont be too long before we are out on a camp. Even with Apriil's farting and snoring ;D

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 21:10:16, 26/05/20 »
Lovely, green, velvety, rolling fells   :)

I also couldn't quite get my head around the pic of the walkers on the fell side - I thought you'd randomly done a google satellite view  ;D

Between you and Richard you're doing a grand job of exploring these hills for me  O0

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 22:21:50, 26/05/20 »
Even with Apriil's farting and snoring ;D

I think everyone on this forum knows who the snorer is and who is the farter. A clue, not me and not Squeaky  :D
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 10:29:26, 27/05/20 »
Cracking pics Karl - and that looks a great route, particularly as you didn't have to walk through any farms etc.   O0

Those walkers look daft to me, though I guess if you talk a fall down that slope it really wouldn't matter how long the MRT took!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 13:17:56, 27/05/20 »
Great report and photos karl - the Howgill Fells have such a lot to offer. I'll certainly be back soon, but we have our eye on Black Combe tomorrow....
Those walkers on the steep slope were in a bit of an exposed spot, weren't they.

By coincidence I have been looking at the Fairmile Road as a starting point, and had a long day out in mind... https://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MzA1MzgzOA==
« Last Edit: 13:21:03, 27/05/20 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 18:03:19, 27/05/20 »
Lovely, green, velvety, rolling fells  :)

I also couldn't quite get my head around the pic of the walkers on the fell side - I thought you'd randomly done a google satellite view  ;D

Between you and Richard you're doing a grand job of exploring these hills for me  O0

Thanks Mel. The Howgills are very kind on the feet, the grass is so nice to walk on  ;)

Cracking pics Karl - and that looks a great route, particularly as you didn't have to walk through any farms etc.   O0

Those walkers look daft to me, though I guess if you talk a fall down that slope it really wouldn't matter how long the MRT took!

Thanks Paul O0  My route planning fell into place when I saw the parking spot on the Fairmile road which is just what I was looking for.

Great report and photos karl - the Howgill Fells have such a lot to offer. I'll certainly be back soon, but we have our eye on Black Combe tomorrow....
Those walkers on the steep slope were in a bit of an exposed spot, weren't they.

By coincidence I have been looking at the Fairmile Road as a starting point, and had a long day out in mind... https://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MzA1MzgzOA==

Cheers Richard O0  Your route looks a grand day out. Enjoy Black Combe, When I did it from the west we started at Townend hall and did   Seaness and Townend Knotts  on the way to the top

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 18:26:21, 27/05/20 »
Thanks Mel. The Howgills are very kind on the feet, the grass is so nice to walk on  ;) 
Not kind on the legs though!

Cheers Richard O0  Your route looks a grand day out.
I've become a bit obsessed with 'the other Langdale'.

Enjoy Black Combe, When I did it from the west we started at Townend hall and did   Seaness and Townend Knotts  on the way to the top
Uncanny. Almost creepy, in fact. That is exactly the route that I am planning. :D

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 18:37:03, 27/05/20 »
Not kind on the legs though!
I've become a bit obsessed with 'the other Langdale'.
Uncanny. Almost creepy, in fact. That is exactly the route that I am planning. :D

To be fair there are only a couple of routes from the coast so it had to be one or the other :)
But I would say that wouldn't I ?  ::) ;D

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 20:31:40, 27/05/20 »
Working on a plan to do a 2 day walk in the Howgills, with a wild camp in Langdale, so my next trip is partly reconnaissance.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 22:02:01, 27/05/20 »
Working on a plan to do a 2 day walk in the Howgills, with a wild camp in Langdale, so my next trip is partly reconnaissance.
The problem with Langdale is that the drop in to the valley is quite sporty from the sides or the Calf end. The map does not tell the whole story, have a look at the aerial imagery - lots of V shaped water eroded valleys.  From the N access is problematiic, there are no rights of way to get you to the open access area and no continuous route in like Bowderdale.  I have often looked down into it but never been into it.  I am sure you will find a way in and a way out though, good luck.
PS - Have a look at going S from Cotegill as an access.  Parking may be an issue.  The road is narrow and I would not like to leave a car overnight close to and in sight of the A685.  Alternatively, park as for Bowderdale and work off piste round the N end of West Fell.
« Last Edit: 23:02:24, 27/05/20 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 06:49:16, 28/05/20 »
Thanks, ninthace - the difficult access only adds to Langdale's appeal!  :)

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 07:57:39, 28/05/20 »
Richard. Whilst i was having my sandwiches on Bush Howe I was looking down into Langdale and thought at the time that the little hill of Cobles ( great name  :)  ) looked a possible route in or out of the valley.

I'm thinking of going back this weekend for a walk over above Black Force then down Uldale and back along Langdale up Cobles and back to Fairmile gate.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy