Author Topic: got lost for the first time in Kent  (Read 4596 times)

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
Re: got lost for the first time in Kent
« Reply #15 on: 05:58:20, 17/09/20 »
I've toyed with the idea of getting a GPS device for a while, the luddite, purist part of me regards it as cheating. Whilst the bit of me that knows I've got a spare 2 litre bottle of chilled water in a freezer bag back at the car reckons it's a great idea.

Always tend to smile a bit at notion that GPS is “cheating” but map and compass is not.

There’s a good amount of advanced tech in a good map and compass...and few walkers make their own, or learn how to use without training or reading instruction books, etc.

Agentorange

« Reply #16 on: 07:11:53, 17/09/20 »

Always tend to smile a bit at notion that GPS is “cheating” but map and compass is not.

There’s a good amount of advanced tech in a good map and compass...and few walkers make their own, or learn how to use without training or reading instruction books, etc.

I think it's because with map and compass you still have to work out where you are for yourself, whereas with a GPS it's being done for you. But you're right it doesn't make a huge amount of sense, I did say it was my more Luddite nature.....same reason I haven't got a Sat Nav in the car  :)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 13:23:28, 17/09/20 »
Interesting the different reasons people adopt or not GPS.  I was a keen advocate of OS app when it first came out.  Alas the later iterations they have over complicated it with, IMHO, pointless features.  It's clear others use those though.  Net result I have gone back from using GPS to using a map and compass, because it is all I need and it's  doddle after years of using them. O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 14:12:39, 17/09/20 »
I think it's because with map and compass you still have to work out where you are for yourself, whereas with a GPS it's being done for you. But you're right it doesn't make a huge amount of sense, I did say it was my more Luddite nature.....same reason I haven't got a Sat Nav in the car  :)
There has always been innovaton and the old ways are gradually replaced by easier ways of achieving the same goal.  Finding your way around in the countryside is just one such example.  Some people enjoy doing things the hard way, some folk don't.  The reasons for this are various.  Some people see merit in preserving the old ways, some people are unwilling/afraid/ incapable of learning new things.  Some folk just resist change.   Personally, I can still navigate the old way if I have to, but I find no virtue in it if I do not need to, others will have a different view.
And yes, my car does has a moving map display with navigation option.  I regard it as advisory rather than obligatory but it came in useful this morning when I tried to find my own way to a village hidden in the maze of lanes we have in Devon and ended up taking a wrong turn because I was too proud to use the satnav.

Solvitur Ambulando

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 14:21:06, 17/09/20 »
Interesting the different reasons people adopt or not GPS.  I was a keen advocate of OS app when it first came out.  Alas the later iterations they have over complicated it with, IMHO, pointless features.  It's clear others use those though.  Net result I have gone back from using GPS to using a map and compass, because it is all I need and it's  doddle after years of using them. O0
What features would these be Buzy?  I have no trouble with it but it is not my first choice as it cannot record a track while following a route.  Nevertheless, I have stuck with gps.  I use ViewRanger, the OS app and a Garmin Etrex.  The Garmin is my primary aid as it is most reliable and is built for the purpose and my phone apps as back up.  I also run VR on every trip so can produce routes from it to share with the walking community.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 18:22:11, 17/09/20 »
What features would these be Buzy?  I have no trouble with it but it is not my first choice as it cannot record a track while following a route.  Nevertheless, I have stuck with gps.  I use ViewRanger, the OS app and a Garmin Etrex.  The Garmin is my primary aid as it is most reliable and is built for the purpose and my phone apps as back up.  I also run VR on every trip so can produce routes from it to share with the walking community.

Worst was they changed the way it zooms in and out to make it more generic.  It means I can no longer zoom out on the 25k map stored on my phone, to look at the big picture.  It now switches to the 50k map and then another scale, as you zoom out.  This works great when I have a phone signal, but as soon as I don't, ie in the middle of nowhere when I need a map, I just get a useless blank screen or a tiny area at 25k :(

I drove up to Lynton VOTR to climb a few weeks back. Stopped in North Molton, to take a look at the map on the phone and surprise no signal.  Had to use my paper AA map.

No compass needed .btw ;)
« Last Edit: 18:29:56, 17/09/20 by BuzyG »

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 18:42:19, 17/09/20 »

Worst was they changed the way it zooms in and out to make it more generic.  It means I can no longer zoom out on the 25k map stored on my phone, to look at the big picture.  It now switches to the 50k map and then another scale, as you zoom out.  This works great when I have a phone signal, but as soon as I don't, ie in the middle of nowhere when I need a map, I just get a useless blank screen or a tiny area at 25k :(

I drove up to Lynton VOTR to climb a few weeks back. Stopped in North Molton, to take a look at the map on the phone and surprise no signal.  Had to use my paper AA map.

Apologies for butting in, but I've been assuming that discussions regarding GPS refer to dedicated GPS devices rather than phones that can do some of the same things, but by no means all.

For example, zooming in and out on a Satmap Active 20 is very different from what you described. Depending on the map card used, zooming can automatically switch between a whole series of maps from 1:10k street level through to the base map. Or the device can manually cycle through the installed maps: 10k, 25k, etc.

(I gave up trying to use a phone for navigating a long time ago!)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 19:09:06, 17/09/20 »

That is a phenomenon common to all apps.  You either have to save a map for off-line use or you will need a data signal.  Some have a generic map of the UK downloaded but that is not a lot of use for close work.
Solvitur Ambulando

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 21:59:19, 17/09/20 »
That is a phenomenon common to all apps.  You either have to save a map for off-line use or you will need a data signal.  Some have a generic map of the UK downloaded but that is not a lot of use for close work.

Maybe I have misunderstood what Buzy wrote but I thought he had stored a 25k map for off-line use...to quote him: “I can no longer zoom out on the 25k map stored on my phone....”

I was puzzled because I thought I could still zoom out on off line 25k maps stored on my phone using OS app even when getting no phone signal...but thought maybe app was working differently on Android and Apple phones. (Mine’s an Apple.)

(Mind you...a fair time since I used OS app in an area where I can’t get a signal. Think I’ll be in one tomorrow...so I ‘ll give it a try and see what happens.)
« Last Edit: 22:18:26, 17/09/20 by pauldawes »

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 22:37:51, 17/09/20 »

Yes I have the whole SW of England loaded at 25K

I can view it Zoomed in but I can no longer zoom out like I once could. The App trys to switch to the 50k map that I don't have loaded and if there is no signal then all I get is a blank screen.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 23:16:52, 17/09/20 »
With you now. I only have off line maps stored for walks I am intending to do. I have not found a need for maps of large areas on my phone as yet.
Solvitur Ambulando

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 08:00:23, 18/09/20 »
(I gave up trying to use a phone for navigating a long time ago!)
I’m not surprised. Phones weren’t up to navigation a long time ago. They are now.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 08:15:23, 18/09/20 »
I’m not surprised. Phones weren’t up to navigation a long time ago. They are now.

I don't know what you guessed I meant when I said: "a long time ago", but I knew that I was referring to 3 years ago.

I always carry my phone with the OS maps app installed and I sometimes carry a Satmap Active 20 handheld GPS. I find the former very useful for taking photos and making phone calls, and the latter far superior for navigation.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 08:17:46, 18/09/20 »
I don't know what you guessed I meant when I said: "a long time ago", but I knew that I was referring to 3 years ago.

I always carry my phone with the OS maps app installed and I sometimes carry a Satmap Active 20 handheld GPS. I find the former very useful for taking photos and making phone calls, and the latter far superior for navigation.
What’s far superior about the dedicated GPS? I have both btw.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 08:26:21, 18/09/20 »
What’s far superior about the dedicated GPS? I have both btw.
Sorry, just about to set off on a walking holiday in Devon. I'll let you know when I get back...

A quick thought though. I spent more than £500 on a dedicated GPS and I think it money very well spent. If you spent good money on a GPS and find it no better than your phone, then perhaps you wasted a lot of money. Who's the lucky one?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy