Author Topic: Overweight hiker navigation thread  (Read 6095 times)

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
Re: Overweight hiker navigation thread
« Reply #60 on: 19:19:16, 02/08/19 »
60 pounds lighter! Wow! Well done. O0 O0

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #61 on: 11:09:33, 03/08/19 »
Thanks.

Should have taken some pictures of what happened but I've only just thought of that. I'll describe it.

I got out there, rocked up at 6:50. Handrailed my way along for a while then the path vanished and I couldn't see any features so I got out ViewRanger  ;D ::) after I'd got a handrail back it occurred to me I should have taken a bearing on the map and walked on it. Oh well. Handrailed my way to just after Smardale Bridge then for some reason got ViewRanger out again. A passing chap told me the route we'd plotted wouldn't work and pointed out a gate I could use instead. I put ViewRanger away again and got to the viaduct but it was closed, so I handrailed my back over Smardale Fell (which was easy as there were walls and paths everywhere) getting the compass out once to check which path to take making me wonder how I lost all the features on the way out.

At least I got some practice even if it was really basic and I got out on a nature walk again.

I'll have to find somewhere else to practice more as I didn't do any bearings or slope aspect stuff, I was enjoying the walk too much to stop and faff about. Bit of a shame but there will be other walks now I'm back on it.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #62 on: 15:00:36, 03/08/19 »
If you look at the map there is a path that runs beside Smardale Gill from the east end of Smardale Bridge, starting at NY 72244 05967 and finishing at the northern end of the viaduct NY 72734 06934.  It is a perfectly practicable path that can be used if the viaduct is closed.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #63 on: 15:24:07, 03/08/19 »
If you look at the map there is a path that runs beside Smardale Gill from the east end of Smardale Bridge, starting at NY 72244 05967 and finishing at the northern end of the viaduct NY 72734 06934.  It is a perfectly practicable path that can be used if the viaduct is closed.

So there is, I didn't even think to look there. There was a map on the viaduct too showing another path around that crosses the beck but I wasn't sure I interpreted it correctly (it wasn't an OS map) and cowardly chose the long route back rather than risk wandering all the way up there and having to double back on myself.

Also I thought I saw a route I could have taken on the OS map, but wasn't sure what I was looking at, I couldn't find what the dotted line was and it's been a while, what is it?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #64 on: 15:33:40, 03/08/19 »
That's a Parish Boundary!
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #65 on: 15:39:27, 03/08/19 »
That's a Parish Boundary!

Glad I didn't assume it was a path then. It looked like a parish boundary on the key but it just started in the middle of nowhere so I thought I'd got it wrong.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #66 on: 15:59:01, 03/08/19 »
Actually you can see it running all the way up the Gill.  There is nothing down there but hardship!  I have never seen or heard of the viaduct being closed. What was the reason?

Incidentally, when the wind is right the viaduct sings as the air blows over holes in the railings.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #67 on: 16:05:05, 03/08/19 »
It runs up the Gill but it starts... oh wait it runs east by Smardale bridge and I didn't realise, I'm being dozy today, also bought some lunch by mistake that doesn't strictly fit in with my diet and didn't realise until I'd eaten it, first time I've done that too (though I bought the wrong drink by mistake last week).

I can't remember the reason, they're doing work on unstable something, might have been railings, might be a figment of my imagination.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #68 on: 16:15:23, 03/08/19 »
Where shall I go next ninthace? I think I'm going to check out your Warcop route as a walk but it won't be much navigation practice, maybe on Wednesday though the weather looks rubbish.

Incidentally my waist is now only 0.7 cm too big for a Lhoste Jacket, I'm days away from it fitting me. Pity I'm drowning in debt... Maybe I'll get one anyway going to be in debt until mid 2021 anyway what's another 3 months of it...

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #69 on: 16:54:11, 03/08/19 »
The dotted line is a boundary,  as mentioned earlier. However, where your arrow is it appears to coincide with a path (dashed line).
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy