Author Topic: Are my Keen shoes leaking or are my feet sweaty  (Read 1879 times)

Thedogsmother

Over the summer I bought a pair of Keen Oakridge hiking shoes. I had been using my Scarpa goretex 'traditional' walking boots for pretty much everything, but started to feel that my feet got too hot and whilst they are comfy, my feet felt a bit constricted in them unless I was doing winter walking. The new Keen shoes are apparently waterproof, however I went out in them last week after a bit of an overnight rainy period, and after my walk I was surprised that when I took them off they felt quite wet inside. I  don't think it is down to sweaty feet as it was a certain part of the shoe (upper part between the toe and base of the laces). I was just wondering whether this is something other people have noticed?

I have not used walking shoes before so I am not sure what to expect. I'm wondering whether to raise it with Keen. I was hoping they would perform a little better in the wet.

I should add that though the grass was wet it wasn't raining on the walk and I hadn't done any stream crossings / bog hopping.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
Re: Are my Keen shoes leaking or are my feet sweaty
« Reply #1 on: 06:35:31, 26/09/20 »
Walking through wet grass is a good test of how waterproof boots are...there is a good constant mix of damp and pressure..if the boots aren’t waterproof that combo will fairly soon see the water getting through.

I know people worry whether that or it’s a build up of sweat...but usually the give away is that if it is just sweat build-up your feet will be just as wet when you’re not walking through wet grass.

And..have to say that “waterproof” Keen boots not being waterproof wouldn’t be a big surprise...I’ve seen a load of postings on this site to effect they are comfortable, but not that waterproof.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:39:19, 26/09/20 »
I agree Paul, wet grass for me anyway is THE test, seems to work better than just rain. I bought a pair of Keen Targee 2's a while back, they were great to walk in, they were supremely comfortable but they leaked big time! I sent them back and got a refund.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:03:02, 26/09/20 »
Walking shoes and wet grass are never a good combination.

It could be a leak but if it's the same with both shoes the chances are the rain off the grass has funnelled it's way up the sides of the tongue/s and got in that way.

When they're dry you could give them a test by pouring some water over the suspect area (upper part between the toe and base of the laces).

If it turns out to be a leak return them for a full refund and buy something else.

Get yourself a pair of decent Gore-Tex or eVent gaiters (if you haven't already) and wear them in those conditions this should at least minimise the chances of any water getting in via the top.

Thedogsmother

« Reply #4 on: 21:49:19, 26/09/20 »
Thanks all for the advice. It is the same spot on each shoe so I think there's a weakness. I'll contact Keen and see what they can do.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 07:50:25, 27/09/20 »
There's no harm in contacting Keen but your contract is with the retailer not the manufacturer and the retailer should be your first port of call.

This previous post may help you http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=36810.msg523727#msg523727

Thedogsmother

« Reply #6 on: 13:04:03, 27/09/20 »
Thanks for that link, really handy. I ordered them from Keen direct via their website. Will see how I get on. It's a shame as they are otherwise very comfortable.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy