Author Topic: Yorkshire Sculpture Park - parking  (Read 3002 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Yorkshire Sculpture Park - parking
« on: 15:50:46, 18/05/19 »
Hi all

Our WI Walking Group is having a trip to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park in the near future.  Having just choked on my cuppa at the price of the parking there, I'm wondering if there is anywhere nearby that isn't quite so expensive? 

Thanks in advance.
Mel  :)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Yorkshire Sculpture Park - parking
« Reply #1 on: 16:42:10, 18/05/19 »
Looks like West Bretton Village Hall has a car park.  IME many village halls have parking for free or a small donation.
Solvitur Ambulando

Dread

« Reply #2 on: 16:58:17, 18/05/19 »
It is expensive but bear in mind that is your entrance fee. The sculpture park is an amazing place but costly to run and free if you use public transport. The roads around are narrow but people still park up on them to avoid the charge. The village hall charges but is always full. You can park outside Wakefield and there is a nice walk to the park but it takes a couple of hours.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:44:05, 18/05/19 »
We parked on road in the village. The carpark charges do seem high BUT there is no entrance fee so if you have a  car load of peops to share the parking cost then it's really not too bad.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:11:32, 18/05/19 »
I parked at the village hall in West Bretton, and put a £1 donation in the box. It was empty when I went.

ilona

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:13:15, 18/05/19 »
Thanks everyone for the replies  :)

At the last head-count there will be 6 of us going so two cars will be needed.  £4 per person sounds more feasible to be honest. Hopefully a couple more people will want to come along which will bring the price down to £3pp  O0

Although, if I ever visit on my own I'll certainly take advantage of the Village Hall parking.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:57:24, 20/05/19 »
I allus park for free, roadside by a farm on the road going out northwards, "Bretton Lane" just beyond maltkiln lane (see bing maps). Just 5mins more walk down to the park. Saw an article on sat about a couple of new godawful sculptures there by that pillock damien hirst, they are grisly.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:04:13, 20/05/19 »
I'll certainly bear that in mind if I visit again on my own pleb  O0

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:27:18, 20/05/19 »
If you want sculptures with free parking, then you could visit the Lumsden Sculpture Walk and add a visit to the Scottish Sculpture Workshop. Getting there might cost you a bit more than you would save on car parking and public transport might take a while to get there.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:10:38, 20/05/19 »
Cheers BFM.  Although I suspect that's a little too far away for our WI walking group (this trip to the YSP is A Big Adventure!).  ... Though mebby not for me in my County Bagging quest...  I will earmark it for further investigation  O0

Personally I do generally prefer mother nature's artwork ... wind sculpted rocks and geological forces at play and such like.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 07:47:39, 26/05/19 »
Cheers BFM.  Although I suspect that's a little too far away for our WI walking group (this trip to the YSP is A Big Adventure!).  ... Though mebby not for me in my County Bagging quest...  I will earmark it for further investigation  O0

Personally I do generally prefer mother nature's artwork ... wind sculpted rocks and geological forces at play and such like.

There are plenty of more interesting places to walk in Aberdeenshire than a sculpture walk. We are on the edge of the Cairngorms, have smaller hills and some fantastic beaches - plus plenty of castles and distilleries.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy