Author Topic: Ben Macudi  (Read 1741 times)

dinger

Ben Macudi
« on: 05:43:25, 22/03/17 »

A few of us were supposed to climb Ben Macdui a few weeks ago but cancelled it due to bad weather, so now the plan is for the 1st week in April.
We have decided to camp out near the ski slope at some camp site near , unsure the name of it but some other guy booked.
My question is looking on the map it seem quite straight forward walk apart from distance, but it shows a path around the North north west area, that seem to go through a gulley which looking at the contour lines looks quite steep, can anyone tell me if its easier then it looks on the os map?

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: Ben Macudi
« Reply #1 on: 22:11:07, 22/03/17 »
Not sure where you mean. Where are you starting from? Do you mean NNW of the ski centre or of Ben Macdui? The shortest route from that side is from the ski centre car park via the Fiacaill a Chore Chais ridge. That's the ridge to the right of the ski tows as you look up the hill from the car park.

dinger

« Reply #2 on: 20:09:14, 23/03/17 »
Looking at the map it say Miadan creag running side of it.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:47:02, 23/03/17 »
Ok got you. The steep bit your looking at is Coire an Lochain, unless your looking for ice climbing I'd keep away from that area. There's a path that follows the righthand (western) edge of the coire as you'd be looking at it from the bottom. It's a very safe way up or you could take the stream to the west of the ridge - Lurcher's gully either way brings you out on the col between Creag an Leth-choin and Cairn Lochan. The path may be buried under snow in places, we've not had as much as normal so it's only a thin cover.

P.S. If you go even further west you'll come to the top of the crags that over look the Lairg Ghru, if you want to get to the top of Ben Macdui don't go down into that.   

snoopdawg

« Reply #4 on: 20:50:33, 23/03/17 »
Dinger

I guess what you mean is the path that goes from the ski centre car park and contours across to the area you mean. Its not a gully at all, its a big broad shoulder that the path ascends up and as you go higher you get views down into the Laraig Ghru. The path up to and including the shoulder is well constructed and you will have no difficulties. From there it is path up onto the plateau and a walk across it to Ben Macdui. Your danger might be the weather. I have done it numerous times. One time in the second week of April 2011 I had to abandoned on the shoulder you are talking about due to the high winds and heavy snows. It was the day that Breamar MRT had to rescue a large party from the summit of Ben Macdui.

Your campsite is probably Loch Morlich

I will see if I have photos of the shoulder.

dinger

« Reply #5 on: 21:50:11, 23/03/17 »
Cheers guys

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:45:52, 27/03/17 »
When planning a trip to the high ground of the Cairngorms at this time of year a look at the SAIS site will give you an indication of where the snow is lying if you look at the Blog section, usually several images taken on the day, of the Northern Cairngorms section of the avalanche conditions reporting system.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy