Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 276041 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #690 on: 21:20:12, 14/02/19 »
Such a beautiful day today.  Simply had to leave work early and head out onto Dartmoor.  Perfect afternoon walk. Wonderfull sunset sitting looking accross the valley from Longaford towards Beardown tors.  Then a gentle walk back to two Bridges, under the stars, with a three quarter moon making the head touch redundant.

dank86

« Reply #691 on: 20:55:19, 19/02/19 »
Next week seeing as I've got a hospital appointment in the area I'll be doing the Rhymney valley Ridgeway.

It's a 28 miles circular route starting near Hengoed, be a nice little early season overnight trip too

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #692 on: 04:59:38, 20/02/19 »
Tongariro Alpine Crossing tomorrow. It looks like some rain is forecast, first we have seen in NZ, wouldn’t you know it?   >:(
Ordinarily it would be pleasant if strenuous walk but I was laid up with a cold weeks ago and I still haven’t got my tubes clear so I’m nowhere near on top form. Still, we’ve come this far.
0700 start too!
Solvitur Ambulando

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #693 on: 10:49:51, 23/02/19 »
Planning walks around Harrogate/Knaresborough area, staying in a nice hotel.

ilona

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #694 on: 18:39:15, 23/02/19 »
Tongariro Alpine Crossing tomorrow. It looks like some rain is forecast, first we have seen in NZ, wouldn’t you know it?   >:(
Ordinarily it would be pleasant if strenuous walk but I was laid up with a cold weeks ago and I still haven’t got my tubes clear so I’m nowhere near on top form. Still, we’ve come this far.
0700 start too!

How did it go?

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #695 on: 20:13:47, 25/03/19 »
I walked today from Falmer to Hollingbury, both of which are on the outskirts of Brighton.  A 12 mile linear walk taking in a swathe of the South Downs and the Low Weald, via the tiny villages of East Chiltington, Streat and Westmeston.  A delightful walk full of variety and masses of spring flowers  -  primroses, violets, celandines, wood anemones.  And glorious sunshine     :)

Tyldesley Paul

« Reply #696 on: 13:12:07, 01/04/19 »
Going from Hollingsworth Lake to Blackstone Edge and back, maybe with a quick stop at the White Horse

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #697 on: 20:22:28, 01/04/19 »
Got 2 days booked in Grasmere  O0

Weather doesn't look fantastic and was hoping to do the Crinkles plus a few extra that I've to "bag" around that area so am undecided. Have a couple of shorter half day walks in mind also which might be more suitable if it's raining.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

GnP

• Veteran Member
Lloyney in Wales.
« Reply #698 on: 20:39:50, 01/04/19 »
On Thursday I am visiting Lloyney again, which is just inside Wales near the border. It is a two hour drive there by car.
This pic was taken last week. I didn`t see a soul for six hours walking ... bliss. This week will be colder & maybe wetter methinks, so will be taking my Poncho, fleece & snood for sure...

« Last Edit: 20:53:27, 01/04/19 by GinAndPlatonic »
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Litehiker

« Reply #699 on: 03:01:50, 02/04/19 »
Here in "Sin City" (Henderson, NV beside Las Vegas) we have a LOT of hiking trails built within the last 10 years. They are mostly "exurban", i.e. just bordering the city among low mountains (up to 6,000 ft.).

BUT.. in the intense Mojave Desert summer heat the trails are only walkable from sunrise to 7 AM. June, July and August. Then we go into the high Spring Mountains northwest of the valley. Drive an hour up into them, park at the trailhead around 9,000 to 10,000 ft. and hike in that thin, cool air among the huge Ponderosa pines up to the ancient low, twisted bristlecone pines at around 11,000 ft.

That is my DURING the week hiking. Summer backpacking can be in the Sierra Nevada of California or Rockies of Colorado.

Eric B.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #700 on: 17:54:32, 02/04/19 »
Drove to the Lakes this morning, was surprised to see lots of snow on the higher hills. I had thought about a 10 mile walk taking in Crinkle Crags but decided to leave it for a warmer day and no snow.

Instead I parked at New Dungeon Ghyll and did a short 4 mile circuit with 3 Wainwrights including Pike of Stickle. I had done the walk previously but nearly all of it in cloud so it was nice to return and get the impressive views this time.

4 miles but it was either up or down, the only level section was a short bit around the tarn (Stickle Tarn???)
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #701 on: 22:06:53, 02/04/19 »
I know where I want to go walking, Lord's Seat but the weather is conspiring against me. According to the Met Office fell top forecast visibility is poor tomorrow morning, I could try and do it in the afternoon as it's only 5.5 miles but I like to have time to spare and doubling the walklakes minimum time usually gives an about right estimate for me meaning it will take at least 5 hours (which should be enough really even if it took me 7 hours, maybe I'll go after all). Thursday might be OK the weather forecast keeps changing, Friday was supposed to be OK yesterday. Oh well, it's supposed to be nice next week so worst comes to the worst I'll do it then.

So maybe Lord's Seat tomorrow? Still not decided will find out tomorrow morning. I should decorate my flat really but I'd rather go walking...

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #702 on: 08:10:20, 03/04/19 »
I know where I want to go walking, Lord's Seat but the weather is conspiring against me. According to the Met Office fell top forecast visibility is poor tomorrow morning, I could try and do it in the afternoon as it's only 5.5 miles but I like to have time to spare and doubling the walklakes minimum time usually gives an about right estimate for me meaning it will take at least 5 hours (which should be enough really even if it took me 7 hours, maybe I'll go after all). Thursday might be OK the weather forecast keeps changing, Friday was supposed to be OK yesterday. Oh well, it's supposed to be nice next week so worst comes to the worst I'll do it then.

So maybe Lord's Seat tomorrow? Still not decided will find out tomorrow morning. I should decorate my flat really but I'd rather go walking...

You could always look at Sale Fell and Ling Fell just to the north - little bit lower. 

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #703 on: 10:21:45, 03/04/19 »
You could always look at Sale Fell and Ling Fell just to the north - little bit lower.

Yes thanks hadn't thought of that. With all this snow about and not being sure how it will affect those fells not having been there I think I'm going to cowardly wait until it melts. Friday is looking good again it's only 2 days away now.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #704 on: 18:49:44, 03/04/19 »

Yes thanks hadn't thought of that. With all this snow about and not being sure how it will affect those fells not having been there I think I'm going to cowardly wait until it melts. Friday is looking good again it's only 2 days away now.

Go with the snow. :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy