Author Topic: keswick to york - help!!!!  (Read 1989 times)

danspeakman

keswick to york - help!!!!
« on: 01:27:52, 10/10/08 »
I am trying to organise a walk from keswick to york, via kendall and then through the yorkshire dales.  Money raised through the walk will go to the lymphoma society www.lymphoma.org.uk [nofollow] to help find a cure for the cancer that someone close to me has.

I need help with planning this walk and wonder if you could put me in the right direction? 

I had planned to do the walk over approximately one week, realising that some days would be very long and hard work.  I have persuaded a bunch of people, some that are very keen walkers and others that are willing to train hard to complete it.  it would take place april/may 2009.

The section through the lakes will hopefully encorporate some of the known walks but understandably will have to join walks together until the path through the lakes is complete.  do you know if this has been done before?  if so do you know if there are maps for this already?

any help would be greatfully appreciated. 
Dan :)

tonyk

• Veteran Member
Re: keswick to york - help!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 09:35:12, 10/10/08 »
 I doubt if one week would be long enough,you might need around ten days.As you say there are plenty of routes through the Lake District.Best bet is to head to Bowness and then pick the Dalesway up to Kettlewell and from there you should be able to work out a route to York via Nidderdale and Harrogate.The Dales Way passes close to Kendal.

High Way Chris

« Reply #2 on: 10:25:41, 10/10/08 »
Hi Dan

Are you committed to Keswick- York? If not you could have a go at A Dales High Way. It's 90 miles from Saltaire to Appleby and goes through the Dales and over the Howgills. You can do it in a week and there's good train links back to York. Check out the website www.daleshighway.org.uk [nofollow] for route, suggested itinerary, accomodation guide etc.

Good luck. I hope you raise loads of dosh whatever you do.

Chris

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:34:49, 10/10/08 »
Dan

The AA give Keswick to York as 112.6 miles, you can cut a bit off this by going a more direct route but not much. Can you all do 16 mile days for a week? If you think you can then I would recommend that you still have back up to carry your luggage.

To plan the route get all the possible maps out of the library and have a long, long session with the experienced walkers in your group. I love hills but the purpose presumably is to get as many people to the end as possible so look to cut down the ascent and descent as much as you can and go for the direct route rather than the scenic.

Alternatively, as has been suggested, pick a different route. I imagine most people who sponsor your walkers will give them £5 if they complete the walk wether it is 75 miles or 130.

Hope this helps.

Ridge

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 01:48:29, 13/10/08 »
Hi Dan

If i can help in anyway just let me know, i am back online, so it wont be a problem.
I have done a bit of LDP, so not to bad at routes, planning ect.  O0
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

wold ranger

« Reply #5 on: 12:24:14, 13/10/08 »
how about cumbria way  keswick to elterwater. then a link route elterwater to bowness. the dales way bowness to ilkley. then the ebor way ilkley to york. not sure on distances, but a lot i suspect.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:47:50, 13/10/08 »
There is some of your sections here, if i remember right.

walkingforlife.piczo.com

O0

pete

« Reply #7 on: 22:00:58, 13/10/08 »
From N.of Kendal you could cut E. to pick up the Dales Way then towards Hawes.From here the Yoredale Way follows the route of the River Ure all the way to York on mainly riverside paths.
It must be tea time by now

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:54:38, 14/10/08 »
Or you could be real cool and find the old Roman route...... Ermmm theres a thought  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy