Author Topic: Warmish waterproof jacket  (Read 1566 times)

spenthompson

Warmish waterproof jacket
« on: 13:28:29, 07/01/20 »
Hi
I'm looking for a jacket for hillwalking which is fully waterproof with a bit of insulation, but not too much. Also i don't want something long and bulky.
Most jackets available are either big winter coats or individual layers (insulation, waterproof) which can sometimes be zipped together which I'm not too keen on. I like to be able to just put one piece of kit on top of my shirt and at the same time not be too constrained or hot/cold.
Maybe unrealistic but would appreciate any ideas.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
Re: Warmish waterproof jacket
« Reply #1 on: 14:33:12, 07/01/20 »
Closest you'd get in terms of things described as 'waterproof jackets' would be a '2.5 layer' jacket - which is a waterproof jacket with a 'wicking' layer on the inside which effectively adds some warmth.  Most waterproof jackets are designed to be layered, so you can wear them all year if it's 30C or -15C provided you wear the proper stuff beneath it.

If you're looking for more of a 'all in one' solution there are two ways you can go, either something like a Buffalo Mountain Shirt - which is warm, windproof and 'functionally wateproof' whilst moving, or along the lines of a Vaude Rosemoor - a waterproof outer layer with synthetic insulation layer beneath.  The problem with the 2nd option is it is going to be very clammy on the inside in all but its designed conditions, however if you want something for leisurely dog walking where you just want weather protection and to be warm without having the faff round adding layers before you leave the house - this might be more the thing you're looking for.

spenthompson

« Reply #2 on: 14:40:12, 07/01/20 »
Closest you'd get in terms of things described as 'waterproof jackets' would be a '2.5 layer' jacket - which is a waterproof jacket with a 'wicking' layer on the inside which effectively adds some warmth.  Most waterproof jackets are designed to be layered, so you can wear them all year if it's 30C or -15C provided you wear the proper stuff beneath it.

If you're looking for more of a 'all in one' solution there are two ways you can go, either something like a Buffalo Mountain Shirt - which is warm, windproof and 'functionally wateproof' whilst moving, or along the lines of a Vaude Rosemoor - a waterproof outer layer with synthetic insulation layer beneath.  The problem with the 2nd option is it is going to be very clammy on the inside in all but its designed conditions, however if you want something for leisurely dog walking where you just want weather protection and to be warm without having the faff round adding layers before you leave the house - this might be more the thing you're looking for.

Fantastic, thanks very much for the suggestions.

Pitboot

« Reply #3 on: 18:26:26, 07/01/20 »
Any jacket by Paramo might fit the bill.

spenthompson

« Reply #4 on: 18:33:09, 07/01/20 »
Any jacket by Paramo might fit the bill.

Thanks, good shout. Those look great. Definitely on the pricey side though!

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:56:40, 07/01/20 »
I read your not keen on Zips.  However I have one of these, for when it's damp, but not howling down.  Great jacket nice and warm and you don't ever have to unzip the fleece, if you don't want too.  O0

https://www.craghoppers.com/breithorn-3-in-1-jacket-blue-navy-deep-blue/?endcap=pdp-mens-relatedproducts-jackets

That said I wear the fleece on it's own some times.  ;)

spenthompson

« Reply #6 on: 19:44:51, 07/01/20 »
I read your not keen on Zips.  However I have one of these, for when it's damp, but not howling down.  Great jacket nice and warm and you don't ever have to unzip the fleece, if you don't want too.  O0

That said I wear the fleece on it's own some times.  ;)

Thanks for the input. I may end up with something like that.

motorlaunch

« Reply #7 on: 19:47:01, 07/01/20 »
Paramo have a seconds shop on Ebay.  The stuff there is just as good as in the shops, but at a cheaper price. Worth checking out if you know what you want.

spenthompson

« Reply #8 on: 19:57:02, 07/01/20 »
Paramo have a seconds shop on Ebay.  The stuff there is just as good as in the shops, but at a cheaper price. Worth checking out if you know what you want.

Thanks!

Pitboot

« Reply #9 on: 21:24:09, 07/01/20 »

Thanks!
True,
I bought Mrs P a jacket off them and it was half price and perfect.

mow1701

« Reply #10 on: 09:43:59, 11/01/20 »
Another vote for paramo. I used the Alta jacket for the cooler months and the Pasco which is a shorter fit for the summer and backpacking. They don’t make Pasco anymore but they do the lighter version the Quito. Even in winter I still find I’m quite often in a base layer under the jacket, Paramo just needs a change in layering mindset from Goretex. So many advantages over hard shells, such as easier to reproof without worrying about taped seams delaminating, breathes better and quieter to walk in. As you can tell I’m a big fan and not sponsored by Paramo....unfortunately 

mow1701

« Reply #11 on: 09:45:29, 11/01/20 »
Another vote for paramo. I used the Alta jacket for the cooler months and the Pasco which is a shorter fit for the summer and backpacking. They don’t make Pasco (seconds/second hand pop up on eBay) anymore but they do the lighter version the Quito. Even in winter I still find I’m quite often in a base layer under the jacket, Paramo just needs a change in layering mindset from Goretex. So many advantages over hard shells, such as easier to reproof without worrying about taped seams delaminating, breathes better and quieter to walk in. As you can tell I’m a big fan and not sponsored by Paramo....unfortunately

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 09:49:40, 11/01/20 »
Paramo certainly do seem to be the Marmite amongst waterproof jacket brands! :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

wobblyknees

« Reply #13 on: 12:30:18, 11/01/20 »
I love and dislike my Paramo Alta jacket.

I dislike it because it is not waterproof. I love everything else about it. Best designed jacket I ever wore (apart from the fact that it is not nearly waterproof).

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 13:33:11, 11/01/20 »
I love and dislike my Paramo Alta jacket.

I dislike it because it is not waterproof. I love everything else about it. Best designed jacket I ever wore (apart from the fact that it is not nearly waterproof).

I would also recommend Paramo gear and I've never had a problem with it's waterproofness providing it's regularly washed and reproofed with Nikwax's Tech Wash and TX Direct as recommended.

This old post from a couple of years ago may be worth a read as it may possibly help you http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=35247.msg503914#msg503914 particularly the info from Paramo about having the jacket dry cleaned to remove any possible contaminants before restarting the washing and reproofing process with Nikwax's Tech Wash and TX Direct. It's got be worth considering as an option to try to resolve the issue. I've previously read elsewhere that if you send a jacket back to Paramo for reproofing the first thing they do is dry clean it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy