Author Topic: Cumbria Way  (Read 8178 times)

sjwato

Re: Cumbria Way
« Reply #15 on: 19:40:26, 21/02/18 »
The Cumbria Way is a great route, leastways as far as Dalston, where catching a bus into Carlisle makes a lot of sense. 

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 19:32:47, 19/04/18 »
My cicerone guidebook has just arrived fancy a couple of the higher routes or bits of them weather permitting. I have a short day Keswick YHA to Skidaw House what's Skiddaw like I've not done any big summits since my ex left although I've always been the navigator, the only time he said he knew the way we got lost. I did the c2c and Cleveland way solo.
I also fancy Glaramara on the way to Borrowdale is it easy route finding? I don't like scary exposed ridges.
Great things are done when women and mountains meet.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 21:20:56, 19/04/18 »
My cicerone guidebook has just arrived fancy a couple of the higher routes or bits of them weather permitting. I have a short day Keswick YHA to Skidaw House what's Skiddaw like I've not done any big summits since my ex left although I've always been the navigator, the only time he said he knew the way we got lost. I did the c2c and Cleveland way solo.
I also fancy Glaramara on the way to Borrowdale is it easy route finding? I don't like scary exposed ridges.

Keswick to Skiddaw House can be done in a couple of hours. I'd definitely be looking to add to the route, maybe cross Skiddaw summit and drop down Sale How? Still a bit on the short side but very straight-forward.

Glaramara can be a bit tricky in poor weather/visibility unless you're a competent navigator. Shouldn't be a problem in fine weather though, and there's no scarey, exposed ridge I can think of.

Out of interest, when are you doing this?

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 21:36:27, 19/04/18 »
I was going to say pretty much what Glyno did.
Skiddaw you'll have no problems but Glaramara can feel like a maze, even in ok weather don't get complacent.

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 21:49:34, 19/04/18 »
I'm starting on 10th May should be doing Skiddaw on 15th. Would Sale How be better than via Whitewater Dash?

« Last Edit: 21:53:36, 19/04/18 by madame cholet »

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 22:02:13, 19/04/18 »
When I did the Cumbria Way and stayed at Skiddaw House, the reception didn't open until 5pm so if you're just walking from Keswick to there, you'll have a long wait. I seem to recall them emailling me the door entry code to get in before 5pm.

Also, there are no plugs if you need to charge up a phone but I asked the warden nicely and he charged it up in the little reception.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 22:11:38, 19/04/18 »
Wet weather plan is the morning shopping in Keswick lol. Great I like my tablet for photos and it gives me a gr if I'm unsure. The phone will be ok just to call my oh to say I'm ok.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 06:29:09, 20/04/18 »
Would Sale How be better than via Whitewater Dash?

you could indeed summit Skiddaw, keep heading north then drop down over Bakestall to Whitewater Dash and then approach Skiddaw House from there. It would kill a bit more time.

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 07:04:32, 20/04/18 »

you could indeed summit Skiddaw, keep heading north then drop down over Bakestall to Whitewater Dash and then approach Skiddaw House from there. It would kill a bit more time.
Looks like a plan can't beat a pleasant waterfall. Thanks Glyno.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 17:12:59, 23/04/18 »
Yeah, I'd go over Bakestall and follow the fence down to above the waterfall, which by the way was no great shakes when I passed by and certainly wouldn't go out of my way for it. It's then around 1.75 mile back to Skiddaw House from there. Skiddaw is a motorway of a track, fairly steep for much of it but straightforward and a great view from the summit on a good day, grim in bad weather.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 17:26:55, 23/04/18 »
An alternative from Skiddaw to the hostel is the route we took on the forum meet - Little Man, Jenkins Hill, Lonscale Fell and down to the Cumbria Way via Burnt Horse. You join the Cumbria Way very close to the hostel.

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 15:52:59, 24/04/18 »
great  ideas thanks lets hope the weather is good so i can take advantage of them

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 15:55:36, 24/04/18 »
the millage is about 9 via the dash which would make a decent walk with a summit

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #28 on: 08:13:54, 25/04/18 »
Wet weather plan is the morning shopping in Keswick lol. Great I like my tablet for photos and it gives me a gr if I'm unsure. The phone will be ok just to call my oh to say I'm ok.

If you are going to make any phone calls, then it's best to make them whilst you're still up on Skiddaw, otherwise you'll struggle to get a signal once you reach Dash and the track to Skiddaw House.

I've just checked the availability at Skiddaw House, and at the moment, they have beds available on both Tues 15th and Wed 16th, but are fully booked the rest of that week.   

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 09:59:19, 25/04/18 »

If you are going to make any phone calls, then it's best to make them whilst you're still up on Skiddaw, otherwise you'll struggle to get a signal once you reach Dash and the track to Skiddaw House.

I've just checked the availability at Skiddaw House, and at the moment, they have beds available on both Tues 15th and Wed 16th, but are fully booked the rest of that week.
Thanks for the phone tip. I booked in February.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy