Author Topic: Pennine Way  (Read 1620 times)

Griff

Pennine Way
« on: 10:53:08, 14/02/20 »
Morning All

Joined this group as part of preparation for doing the PW. I did the Camino Frances a few years back and found it a good way to get some fresh air. It was a very well sign posted route.
Can the same be said of the PW?

Florence Lamb

Re: Pennine Way
« Reply #1 on: 11:12:15, 14/02/20 »
Welcome Griff

I love the PW. I’ve done it numerous times and going again either May or June. Most certainly plenty of fresh air

Are you camping, carrying kit etc?

FL

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:15:52, 14/02/20 »
Having done both, as have a couple of others on this site, the answer is No.

Neither as well signposted, nor anything approaching the level of support.
If not wildcamping sometimes the daily mileages to get to shops and accommodation can be a lot further than they need to be on the CF. There are hostels, but most though not all are off route as is a lot of the accommodation, the availability of which on the route or very close by seems to be diminishing. Others may prove me wrong on this point.

Of the two I preferred the PW. As a walking route it had so much more to offer. However the CF did have its moments and actually I think I am enjoying it more now after 2 years retrospect than I did at the time.  But I am more tempted to do the PW again.
Too little, too late, too bad......

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:19:29, 14/02/20 »
I walked the Camino Frances last year and it is a lot easier, more people around and no need for any navigational experience not even mentioning the food/wine and luckily for me the weather.  With all the arrows etc I am sure that I could walk it without a guide book/map.  The Pennine Way however is, in my opinion and I have walked it twice, totally different.  You are likely to be alone for most of the day and you need to take care of the route either by GPS &/or map and compass or both.  The weather can be very changeable with all 4 seasons in one day.  If not camping then there is a need to book accommodation in advance.  However don't be put off it is a really enjoyable walk with good companionship in the evenings.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:40:51, 14/02/20 »
If you are planning to use accommodation BOOK IT NOW!

I am walking the Pennine Way end June - beginning July and had some problems when I was booking a month ago.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:45:00, 14/02/20 »
I always camp unless I'm feeling ill or for a similar reason.

I haven't done the Camino Frances, just the section from Roncevalles to St. Jean du Gard and on the French Camino from Le Puy en Velay to Figeac. All very nice and 'easy strolling' mostly, for me the time to indulge in wine, food and good company and luckily for me glorious weather as well. Easy to camp as well. The Pennine Way is different, less reliable weather, more changeable as well, one can be more alone, the food and drink are different, the settings and the 'style' of it all is different, and it does make 'physical and psychological demands' on the mind and body in a way that the Camino doesn't I think. But then again, I'm biased, I'm more of an I 'want to hike in France' sort of person, except for the Spanish GR11 which I'd love to have another go at, Spain itself doesn't turn me on.

Would I hike the Pennine Way again, YES indeedy!!! Its been on my mind to do again, like Florence, around May, just haven't decided yet.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:11:14, 14/02/20 »
It's easier to camp in France on that route than in Spain. Not to say it can't be done, it can, but wild camping is really frowned upon and anyway you are always too close to civilisation and barky dogs.  Not too many proper campsites en route. However loads and I mean loads of good hostels (Albergues).
Too little, too late, too bad......

Griff

« Reply #7 on: 13:31:11, 15/02/20 »
Welcome Griff

I love the PW. I’ve done it numerous times and going again either May or June. Most certainly plenty of fresh air

Are you camping, carrying kit etc?

FL
I will be staying in Youth Hostels and carrying my kit and clothes but none of this wild camping with stoves/pans and bivvies! There's enough to be carrying with just the essentials, water and a packed lunch.

Griff

« Reply #8 on: 13:37:58, 15/02/20 »
Thanks for all the responses.
It is just as i thought, in that I will be brushing up on my map reading skills and walking in the wrong direction some of the time.
I appreciate that the level of support won't be the same as on the Camino but at least the locals speak the same lingo!
Once I've worked out the best start date I'll then book the Youth Hostels and make the most of their hospitality. I might just give the Tan Hill a try and see how the windows that Ted Moult recommended all those years ago are lasting!

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:39:12, 15/02/20 »
Others will tell you - check your "essentials" as quite a few won't be!  You will be able to stock up at night if you run out of Jelly Babies/Wine Gums!  Make sure you stay at the Forest View Walkers Inn in Byrness, stay 2 nights and they will pick you up half way across the Cheviots and drop you back there in the morning thereby making the last 28 miles a bit easier - and you will get to Kirk Yetholm with enough time to enjoy a beer or two.
« Last Edit: 13:42:57, 15/02/20 by harland »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:45:34, 15/02/20 »
Personally, I think the Pennine Way in most places along its length is quite good for support in that a village, pub etc can be reached on most walking days. I can only remember a couple of places that demanded more of an effort, the first day and the last day in particular, maybe my memory has grown dim?

Griff

« Reply #11 on: 13:57:16, 15/02/20 »
Thanks for the recommendation regarding accommodation. I've looked them up on Tripadvisor and they come out as highly regarded hosts.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:43:10, 16/02/20 »
Just a query, for those who have walked and have used public transport get to or from Kirk Yetholm, did you go to and or from Berwick by bus? Has anyone walked it, possibly following the St. Cuthberts Way route perhaps?

I too am seriously thinking of walking the Pennine Way again this year, I haven't decided for sure but if I do I think I will hike it in April. As I live in Portsmouth it's the Kirk Yetholme to Berwick or vice versa end that I need to decide on. In all previous attempts, I've always been taken or collected from there by my wife or son but this time I plan to travel by train.

I also haven't decided yet if I will walk South to North or vice versa?

Florence Lamb

« Reply #13 on: 19:23:45, 16/02/20 »
GWM

I’ve used bus a couple of times to get from KY to Berwick when doing south to north and another time had taxi minibus from Berwick to KY when doing north to south. The people at the Border Hotel prearranged it for me.  Other times got picked up.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:07:18, 16/02/20 »
+1 for Forest View and jelly babies!
We booked our accommodation in January to walk end of June.

We walked the Pennine Way in 2016 and found then that a few places had closed. We often ended up having to do maybe a shorter then a longer day. But we also found accommodation off route where there had previously been some and arranged pick up from the owners. Examples I can think of are;
Day 2 we stayed at Diggle and walked down to the B&B and they gave us a lift back next morning.
Not much between Ponden and Gargrave so we stayed at Gargrave and had a very short day next day to Malham.
Had planned on staying at Clove Lodge just over the A66 but it had closed, so we were picked up and dropped back there by the Fox & Hounds, Cothersdale. You just have to think creatively!
Also beware hotspots such as Keld where the C2C crosses.

GWM We planned on catching the bus from KY to Berwick but shared a taxi with 3 others who we met en route. There will often be someone else finishing the same day as you who will probably also need to get to Berwick. One of them we met on our first night in Edale before we had even started!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy