Author Topic: Winter Gloves  (Read 1035 times)

cmasters2992

Winter Gloves
« on: 11:13:32, 11/12/18 »
I am looking at getting some new winter gloves, I am looking for something breathable / Waterproof. Just for general Winter hiking in the UK. Preferably with the ability to use a touch screen phone but this is not essential.

I have had a look and found the 2 pairs below

SealSkinz Dragon Eye Gloves
Extremities Insulated WTPF Sticky Power Liner Gloves

has anyone got any experience with either or could perhaps recommend another pair.

thanks

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
Re: Winter Gloves
« Reply #1 on: 11:25:47, 11/12/18 »
Following up a tip from a forum member I have bought and am using Tegera 297 gloves. These are industrial gloves wrhich are waterproof, flexible and insulated.
They come in different sizes so it is best to measure as per the website instruction so you order the right size.
The bonus is that they are considerably cheaper than well known outdoor brands. You can get them for about £14 plus postage if you search on Tegera 297 gloves.
Highly recommended,😎✴️✴️✴️✴️✴️
« Last Edit: 11:39:29, 11/12/18 by Slowcoach »
It's all uphill from here.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:09:26, 11/12/18 »
I have those Sealskinz Dragon Eye gloves. They're pretty good. I use them mostly for cycling and they work well at keeping hands warm and dry for a while at this time of year. Like most (all?) breathable waterproof gloves, they don't stay waterproof forever. And they're not thickly insulated so not enough when things get really cold.

I have quite a lot of gloves which I wear according to the weather. I have fleece gloves for warmer weather or just-in-case packables. The Sealskinz get a lot of use in autumn wet weather but they're not warm enough for properly freezing weather. if it's really cold but dry I'll wear cheap ski mitts. If it's around zero but very wet I have some German army faux-fur lined Goretex ones which keep the rain off for hours and seem to stay warm even after they start letting in water.

For properly cold temps I find only mittens will do and then wear some cheap touch-screen friendly liner gloves underneath if need be. My wife has Reynauds Syndrome and if her hands get cold they don't warm up again. She had to go to mitts as the only real way of fending it off.

I notice Decathlon sell some waterproof (not breathable) overmitts for a tenner which I keep meaning to buy to wear over non-waterproof ski gloves/mitts. Personally I think overmitts are one of the best cold and wet solutions as they can be a simple design with few seams to seal and you can see the underside of the seams to repair if need by. Extremities do their Tuff Bags which are a Goretex version.

If I was buying again for the oncoming winter months I'd probably get Buffalo pile mitts for the cold and some cheap waterproof overmitts to handle any rain.

I must say those Tegera gloves mentioned above do look good.
« Last Edit: 12:21:13, 11/12/18 by NeilC »

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:11:19, 11/12/18 »
Both Extremities and Sealskinz would make an ideal purchase.
Their gloves are high quality, and some of them are quite effective at keeping your hands dry.
Now looks the best time to invest in a pair of new waterproof gloves, as i managed to pick up a pair of Extremities for well under retail price, and they are very warm, actually too warm for summer use, more an autumn winter glove, and so far very waterproof.
As for the right glove, that can only be done through trying them on in a good shop.

Its a difficult choice, Extremities or Sealskinz, both make high quality gear, so i suppose its all about the price.

If you can grab your self a Christmas or new year sale bargain, then both companies will do the job nicely.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:45:49, 11/12/18 »
I swear by Dachstein mitts for use in the snow - the more snow, the warmer they get!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

cmasters2992

« Reply #5 on: 22:04:03, 11/12/18 »
Thanks very much for the info. I am erring towards the sealskinz but will see if I can find them at a bargain price  :)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:50:21, 01/01/19 »
Successful test of my newly purchased Extremities waterproof gloves.
Wore them up Snowdon to see in the New Year, dense fog, a very lite drizzle for over four hours, tested the gloves perfectly.
The outer membrane or outer fabric was getting a real soaking, but no water or condensation got in.
Fully waterproof, and fairly warm, warm enough to keep my fingers at a comfortable temperature, but they were not warm as toast, so i recon a second pair of thinner inner gloves would be on the cards in extreme cold and damp conditions.
« Last Edit: 11:53:55, 01/01/19 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy