Author Topic: Newb soon to walk PW  (Read 7018 times)

Marshy Pete

Re: Newb soon to walk PW
« Reply #15 on: 12:06:36, 20/07/17 »
It depends on your physical and mental fitness. Once the first couple of days have been overcome, hopefully,
Confidence will see you to the finish.
Hopefully I have responded in the correct place on this thread

Murphy

« Reply #16 on: 14:21:28, 20/07/17 »
I agree with Sussamb. Mind first And harder days than first one.  Have walked PW numerous times and mind over matter is priority especially in the weather!

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 14:27:58, 20/07/17 »
I didn't find the first day hard as my mind and body were fresh and ready to go, it might have been different if it was later on into the journey.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 14:45:37, 20/07/17 »
The hardest day can depend on the weather....

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 17:45:27, 25/07/17 »
Blimey, 50 is hardly old, with luck you should have years of walking ahead of you.
Attempting any Long Distance Path, especially one as long as the Pennine Way, needs time and longterm preparation.
By what you are saying, you seem to be struggling with long distance fitness.
Attempting a large section of the Pennine Way, when one is not used to long distance walking, is not advisable.

Now if you said you were 70, and suffering with painful feet, then i would understand your concern.

Obviously you do not want to disappoint your son, but the Pennine Way will be there in the future, and being only 50, aim for the walk in the near future.

Over thirty years ago, i could walk 50+miles a day, over tough terrain, and hunger for more.

Even though i am still extremely fit, and approaching my 60th birthday very soon, i could not cope with such a distance, simply because my legs are no longer used to walking that far.

I run regularly every week, still walk distances of 20+miles most months, but i would struggle on the Pennine Way, simple because i no longer do challenge walks, that involve time on your legs, for mile after mile, on a weekly basis.

I can easily cope with 20miles, but getting up the next day, and doing it again, and again, i would eventually call it a day.

Remember, you do not have to wild camp any sections of the Pennine Way, as its such a popular walk accommodation for most of its length is readily available.

Wild camping is more an adventure, but getting out into the bleak Pennines knowing there's a warm bead waiting every evening, has its benefits.

Build up to it, not jump head first, and even though a lot of the route is straight forward, you still have to get accustomed to walking long distances, day after day.

That can only be achieved with longterm practice.

A walk as long as the Pennine Way is meant to be savoured, not dreaded.

Good luck with the training.
« Last Edit: 17:54:11, 25/07/17 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 18:56:09, 25/07/17 »
Even though i am still extremely fit, and approaching my 60th birthday very soon, i could not cope with such a distance, simply because my legs are no longer used to walking that far.

I run regularly every week, still walk distances of 20+miles most months, but i would struggle on the Pennine Way, simple because i no longer do challenge walks, that involve time on your legs, for mile after mile, on a weekly basis.

DA, your posts really are getting worse.  If you can really walk 20+ miles it isn't your legs 'simply not being used to walking that far' that would prevent you walking the PW but your mind.  I'm older than you by around 5 years, and did my first PW when I was 60 and my second this year.  I walk at most 15 miles a week. Any reasonably fit and determined person can do it, but many fail because the mind fails.
Where there's a will ...

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 19:38:58, 25/07/17 »
I think Dyffryn has a point though. Yes any reasonably fit person can walk the PW depending on how long they plan to spend on it. His point of no longer regularly walking distances that he used to, affecting his performance is quite valid.
I have found this is the case. As I have older, certainly since the age of 65 years, still working full time physically hard, I am spending less and less time out in the hills. This has had a dramatic effect on my hill climbing and speed. Things I could do just a few years ago that I used to take for granted that I would succeed, I am now not so confident. Sure I can still outdo most others of my age and younger but still perform the same as I used to - no, but I'm still trying. Now if I were retired that would be another story.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 19:59:14, 25/07/17 »
His point of no longer regularly walking distances that he used to, affecting his performance is quite valid.

Well that point I didn't disagree with  O0

Someone may walk slower than they did but should still be perfectly capable of long distance walking, but may just take more days to complete something like the PW.
Where there's a will ...

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 22:36:30, 25/07/17 »
I too don't generally walk many miles in a week, just when we are on holiday.  But most years we will do a LDW and train for it. So for example the Pennine Way, we walked 19 days plus 1 rest day about two thirds of the way through.  Training for it was mainly weekends building up the miles, so you can't really train for the whole walk as most people don't have that much time on their hands! I think if you are generally fit and aim a week or two before to walk at least 2 days in a row covering the miles you will do on your first 2 days on the actual walk (or a bit more if like us you don't live near hills!), and carrying your full pack, you should be fine. You will "walk into the walk" , but do prepare for it mentally as well.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 11:21:53, 26/07/17 »
Completing 20miles in one day is within the capabilities of most fit walkers, but repeating that process day after day, for up to two weeks, possibly more, wold destroy most walkers not used to long distance walking.
However slowly you walk, 270 miles in a long way, with every weather imaginable thrown at you for good measure.

My best time for the 53mile South Wales Marathon walk, back in 1992, was 13hrs 28min, i was dead chuffed with such a good effort.
If the Challenge walk was still going, i know i would fail to complete it, as your legs begin to tire quickly once you pass 40+miles over hard terrain in the Brecons, and its been years since ive attempted such a long distance.

You have to train hard, to successfully complete the very long Long Distance Paths, attempting one thinking you will be successful, with little or no preparation, is most unwise.
Its a bit like training for a marathon, when the person in mind cannot yet complete a mile without stopping for breath, its a very unrealistic target.

Put in the months of training, getting regular long walks, over various terrain, and then contemplate an attempt on the Pennine Way, thats the sensible approach to this classic LDW.
« Last Edit: 11:28:49, 26/07/17 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 12:16:27, 26/07/17 »
... as your legs begin to tire quickly once you pass 40+miles over hard terrain in the Brecons, and its been years since ive attempted such a long distance.

Please, it's the Beacons or the Brecon Beacons, it is most definitely NOT the Brecons  >:(
Where there's a will ...

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 13:15:37, 26/07/17 »

Put in the months of training, getting regular long walks, over various terrain, and then contemplate an attempt on the Pennine Way, thats the sensible approach to this classic LDW.

DA you're risking putting off the OP completely. He's obviously not taking it lightly hence why he is asking for advice on here.  He is only doing a week of it anyway.  I managed the whole Pennine Way and I' m not superwoman! (Not young either - 58). We only walked long distances in the last month and very little in the hills as we simply don't have that option.  Yes train and be sensible about it but don't go overboard.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 13:46:35, 26/07/17 »
 O0 O0 O0
Where there's a will ...

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 19:48:07, 26/07/17 »

DA you're risking putting off the OP completely.

I am quite sure the original poster is intelligent enough to realise that walking the Pennine Way isn't on par with storming the beaches on D-day. ;)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 19:56:11, 26/07/17 »
He is struggling with his current mileage, how does he expect to walk half the distance of the Pennine Way, without considerable effort.
By the looks of things, he will have to let his son down, or contemplate putting off the walk until walking regularly long distances, comes naturally to him.
For the average walker, that could be a very long time.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy