Author Topic: Phone suitable to use with Viewranger and other walk apps  (Read 3031 times)

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
Re: Phone suitable to use with Viewranger and other walk apps
« Reply #15 on: 16:11:28, 01/02/19 »
Maybe this is best thread for me to ask about a specific phone problem I have?? (I have done a search of old topics and can't find much on specific issue I have...but I'll admit my ability to search old topics is not at "super" level).

My present smart phone is an Apple. I like using a smart phone for various things when walking (not as main navigational tool...but things like keeping in touch with family and friends)...and find Apple battery drains very fast, particularly in cold conditions (and I mean cold English conditions...not the kind some of you guys go out in).

Is there a mid priced Smart phone with a particularly good battery life in cold (English) winter conditions?? (I do take a portable power bank with me typically...but would be happier if phone battery itself was more resilient.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 16:31:49, 01/02/19 »
Not sure about the cold but you can significantly improve battery life when walking if you select airplane mode. Your phone without a wifi, Bluetooth or mobile phone signal is constantly hunting for them, and GPS also drains the battery.
Where there's a will ...

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:23:07, 01/02/19 »
Not sure about the cold but you can significantly improve battery life when walking if you select airplane mode. Your phone without a wifi, Bluetooth or mobile phone signal is constantly hunting for them, and GPS also drains the battery.

I was thinking about stuff like that as i had a soak in the bath just now.

Given that I don't use phone to navigate (like you I prefer GPS as main nav tool, but maybe unlike you I use map and compass as the back up...if I altered that...would probably just get a second GPS as back-up option.)

I could just shut down phone completely at start of walk, then only "power up" when I specifically want to send a message/ picture or whatever to a friend.

Stupidly...I've been leaving phone on in normal mode up to now, although 99% of time I do nothing with it!

I think your suggestion of just leaving in airplane mode has slight advantages to my idea of complete turn-off...faster to get back in normal again by just de-selecting airplane mode to use phone for a short while, rather having to completely re-start from complete shut down.

Thanks

« Last Edit: 18:26:29, 01/02/19 by pauldawes »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 18:29:00, 01/02/19 »
All good advice.  The only thing I would add is if you keep your phone in an inside pocket temperature in a UK winter should not be an issue.  I have used mobiles down to -25C without cold affecting battery life by keeping my phone in an Aquapac slung round my neck.  As Sussamb suggests, airplane mode is a good idea (why isn't it aeroplane for heaven's sake).  Better yet, if you are not navigating with it - switch it off altogether.  Too many people seem unable to live without a regular screen fix for social media etc - use it when you have to then turn it off again.

Edit:  our posts crossed so i missed your reply.
Solvitur Ambulando

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 18:36:55, 01/02/19 »

Is there a mid priced Smart phone with a particularly good battery life in cold (English) winter conditions?? (I do take a portable power bank with me typically...but would be happier if phone battery itself was more resilient.

Long battery life is one of the things I am looking for as I do use my phone for navigation and distance travelled recording in an effort to encourage myself to do more walking to improve my fitness. In these circumstances I don't think airplane mode is an option. But I don't use it for data when I am out, only an occasional phone call. So I would be interested to hear about battery life.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 18:42:34, 01/02/19 »
All good advice.  The only thing I would add is if you keep your phone in an inside pocket temperature in a UK winter should not be an issue.  I have used mobiles down to -25C without cold affecting battery life by keeping my phone in an Aquapac slung round my neck.  As Sussamb suggests, airplane mode is a good idea (why isn't it aeroplane for heaven's sake).  Better yet, if you are not navigating with it - switch it off altogether.  Too many people seem unable to live without a regular screen fix for social media etc - use it when you have to then turn it off again.

Edit:  our posts crossed so i missed your reply.

Thanks...I realised we must have been posting at roughly the same time...but, of course, you made a couple of useful extra points I had not thought of...about keeping phone in an inside pocket, and keeping it in something like an Aquapac. (I've kept it in a normal thin case, in an outside pocket.)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 19:25:12, 01/02/19 »
In an Android phone Viewranger works in Airplane mode and on power save settings, also if you can disable 3G do so (basic phone and texts will still be available.) That will keep your battery ticking over a bit longer.
None of the above applies if you want to use the buddy beacon setting or to Iphones.

Too little, too late, too bad......

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 20:12:56, 01/02/19 »
Long battery life is one of the things I am looking for as I do use my phone for navigation and distance travelled recording
I have a Samsung Galaxy J5 2017 and track my walks on Viewranger with wifi, bluetooth and mobile data turned off, and Location switched to phone only. I find it uses only about a quarter or a third of battery life for a walk of around ten miles. What seems to drain the battery is going online.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 21:39:20, 01/02/19 »
I loaded viewranger up on my S5 along side OSApp.  Worked ok.  Just use OSApp at the moment.  Old S5s are cheap as chips on fleebay.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 22:17:30, 01/02/19 »
If you have no sim in it can't use battery power signal hunting.
If you get an older mobile where you can change battery yourself then spare batteries are easily available and very light to carry so you could carry backup fully charged spare bateries.
I carry a power bank and if on a multiday walk a 14w solar charger that sits on my backpack.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy