Author Topic: horses - and paths.....  (Read 10184 times)

treborpope

horses - and paths.....
« on: 19:12:47, 28/09/10 »
Hi all,

once again I need an opinion, so look to the forum.....

The other day I was walking along a Public Footpath - not a bridle way (marked as such on the OS map, and on the waypoints on the ground) only a couple of miles from Trebor Towers. The path follows the edge of a field boundry (field of recently harvested corn).

Anyway - I'm around 400 yards from where I entered the field (through a stile, nest to a 5 bar gate), and maybe 600 yards from the exit, when coming toward me i hear, then see around 200 yards away 2 people on horses GALLOPING toward me. Now I am scared of horses, but Mrs Trebor owns a horse, and I know how to react around horses,and these wern't trotting, nor a canter, this was a full on gallop.

So I stood my ground, until I was sure the people, and the horses had seen me (about 20 yards away) then stepped into the hedge. The people at this point tried to pull the horses up, one succeded. The other horse veered toward me, then away, and at the point I was about to scream for mercy "buckarooed" missing me with the back hoofs by what seemed like inches (but was probably a couple of yards) threw the rider, then ran off into the distance.

In my shaken state I asked the rider if she was okay - she indicated to her friend to go chase the loose horse, then gave me a dressing down for scaring her horse. I was-to be honest-too shaken to argue and apologised.

I'm pretty sure I did nothing wrong - in fact - in my opinion horses should not be galloping along a public footpath - what do you guy's reckon?

cheers

trebor
"the ground over there looks less boggy........ oh b*gger"

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
Re: horses - and paths.....
« Reply #1 on: 19:18:12, 28/09/10 »
Have to agree with you Trebor - walking between Bridle paths maybe, but never at a gallop - that's just plain dangerous to all concerned.

P.s Daughter runs a horse and would never do that.

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:20:32, 28/09/10 »
If it's designated a footpath, which in your post you have made clear it is, then horses simply shouldn't be there galloping or otherwise. Obviously if you have a fear of horses then you're likely to have been left extremely shaken and not thinking clearly but personally I would've given the rider a piece of my mind (after checking that she wasn't seriously hurt of course)!
Current Munro tally: 78 out of 282 completed so far.

All 190 Welsh Nuttalls completed.

treborpope

« Reply #3 on: 19:31:12, 28/09/10 »
cheers both for your replies - and yes - I was rather shaken...... but the first thing I thought of (after is she alright) was - maybe she owns the field I'm in? still I suppose even if that was the case, it's still dangerous doing what they were.... My next thought was should I complain - but to who, and to what end? the last thing I want is a dispute with a local landowner whose land I walk through 2 or 3 times a week.....

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:33:35, 28/09/10 »
I suppose you could complain to the council as they're responsible for footpaths but I imagine that you don't know who the riders are and I dare say the council wouldn't do anything about it anyway.
Current Munro tally: 78 out of 282 completed so far.

All 190 Welsh Nuttalls completed.

dave-harris

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:36:59, 28/09/10 »
There is no reason why horses should not be on a footpath. But they must get the landowners permision, or they must own the land (i think thats right). But there is no excuse for their behaviour.

To be honest i do not think i have met a horse rider who has not been considerate. Nearly all welcome you, acknowledge you or give way to you. Normally i step to one side and let them pass first.
I walk to live

Willowisp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:53:00, 28/09/10 »
Christ your lucky Dave. I live in Epsom (home of the Derby) which is a big horsey place and I have had numerous run in's with horse riders who think they own the place. I've been running walking and cycling in these areas for years and am always considerate however they most certainly are not.

On one occasion a cross country (running) race was organised by my club and 2 horse riders rode straight past the marshals meeting before the race and loudly stated "I don't know why they can't run on the roads there are to many runners on here already"

As to the treborpope I would of dressed her down as soon as I saw her stand up. That could of quite easily of been a lot worse.
Willowisp - Beasty known for leading folks astray
Aka
Dan from Surrey don't you know. what what...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46705169@N06/

colliecorner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:35:49, 28/09/10 »
not so sure of the legal side of things but advice wise i'd suggest as a horse rider myself the worst place for you to stand is hidden in a hedge as the horse won't see you till the last minute and probably shy
the other tip i'd suggest is speak if you can to the rider even if its morning or shout i'm here so the horse will expect to see you there (hope this makes sense )
( good tip for bike riders too as horses have a blind spot behind them and bikes can make them jump)
hope this helps and you don't get scared again ..

ps: if they showed little respect i'd say serves them right  ;)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 23:00:20, 28/09/10 »
Horses aren't allowed on public footpaths.
Horses aren't supposed to be ridden to put other people at risk.
These people were twts.
This wouldn't be any consolation to a walker injured , or worse, by a horse.
The rider is lucky she didn't break her neck, but if she had, she would only have had herself to blame, had she survived.
The world has a fair share of idiots.
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 23:15:35, 28/09/10 »
Treborpope's nasty experience aside, the subject of horses on public footpaths, where they shouldn't be, as opposed to on bridleways, where they should be, is an interesting topic. 

Most of my walking is done in the Chilterns where even at weekends the paths are not heavily used, and I like to go in midweek, when it's rare to see another walker.  At these times, it's not unknown to see a solitary horserider using a public footpath, usually in woodland, or maybe I just see hoof marks showing that one has trod the path. 

My thoughts at such times is that these are almost certainly local people, who are merely making use of a an underused and almost deserted bit of countryside, where one horse's hooves aren't doing any more damage than a few walking boots.  [Proper bridleways that are heavily used by horses are a completely different matter.]  Consequently, I feel they have about equal rights to be there as a townie like me, even though technically they shouldn't be, .

dave-harris

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 06:02:18, 29/09/10 »
A snippet from the Ramblers website.

'10. Are horses allowed on public paths?Horse riders have a right to use bridleways, restricted byways and byways open to all traffic. They have no right to use footpaths, and if they do they are committing a trespass against the owner of the land, unless the use is by permission. If use of a footpath by riders becomes a nuisance the local authority can ban them with a traffic regulation order. This makes such use a criminal offence rather than an act of trespass.'

In reality, some footpaths are used very little, and you get get more cyclists using them than you do horse riders (still illegal). But at the end of the day it keeps the paths open. In today's world times are changing, there has to be give and take on both sides. The respect of those using any path should also be both ways. Does it really matter who uses the path network? As long as respect for other users is done by all.  O0  (btw, i am not a horse rider or a cyclist).

This does not excuse the riders in the original post, who are complete [censored], who have no manners and are probably, but not always, the type of person that tries to stop people walking on the footpaths over their land.

I walk to live

treborpope

« Reply #11 on: 15:47:15, 29/09/10 »
cheers guys - i think i'll just put the episode down to experience! and close the legal can of worms!!! ;)

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 15:59:38, 29/09/10 »
Sensible reply by dave-harris, presumably the riders had permission from the owner to exercise in that field, I would complain to the Access department for your area and insist that the owner is contacted and makes the horse riders aware that there is a designated footpath there and that they should have behaved in a considerate way to others.

Personally I like to live and let live, with all sensible users of the counryside, but there are horse owners who are a pain in the butt, and I can say this from 45 years organising horse events at county shows. Some 'my pony' types need to be kept in order, I have noticed over the years that there was often more sense between the large pricky ears that that sat on top, especially if it is loud, bossy and female.

If it was my Local Access Forum I would make sure that the horse rep got back to the rider and gave her a damn good dressing down. She should not be blaming you for her stupidity and unsafe behaviour.

Keep the can of worms open.

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 10:57:32, 01/10/10 »
Been there a few times. Around here - hunting country - people on horse back think they rule the road, paths, earth and sky and the hunt especially get either dismissive or agressive if you point out they are not being considerate towards other road/ countryside users.

Some people get on a horse and get a complete personality change - they can be OK in the street but so arrogant in the saddle - bit like yobs in cars I suppose.

I get fed up with the state of the footpaths because of high horse traffic - pot holes, deep mud and puddles.

rlocock

« Reply #14 on: 20:37:38, 01/10/10 »
Been there a few times. Around here - hunting country - people on horse back think they rule the road, paths, earth and sky and the hunt especially get either dismissive or agressive if you point out they are not being considerate towards other road/ countryside users.

Some people get on a horse and get a complete personality change - they can be OK in the street but so arrogant in the saddle - bit like yobs in cars I suppose.

I get fed up with the state of the footpaths because of high horse traffic - pot holes, deep mud and puddles.

I got into "trouble" on the late Ramblers forum for making very similar statements after my grand daughter and I were nearly mowed down by horse riders on a public footpath (on a charity walk). The charity walk is no more but I still have the same (unprintable) opinion of those particular horse riders.
All mushrooms are edible - some only once......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy