Author Topic: In defence of Baggers....  (Read 9446 times)

Jonny Smith

Re: In defence of Baggers....
« Reply #15 on: 20:39:50, 03/10/10 »
It irritates me as well when I am told I am ticker....which I am. You wait until you have to explain that you have to go back up Aonach Mhor because you missed the East Top! Yes sadly I have completed Munro's 'Pure' list, the full 515 but hell so what, I enjoyed it all - well maybe not all. So much in fact I wrote it all up http://where2walk.co.uk/walking-challenges/the-munros/
However what really gets me is that those people who criticise the bagger come across as being superior as if they are somehow better walkers than those tickers. Misses the point to me, anyone who wants to be out and enjoys it should be welcomed - all of us are in the right game, even those on bikes who wreck the hillside...sorry, different debate! Jonnie

alanstarkie2001

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 21:41:59, 03/10/10 »
The fact that I'd like to do Crib Goch is in itself, a sort of bagging. It's high & spectacular and I've heard of other people doing it, therefore it's on a mental 'to do' list - sooner or later, probably next spring I'll 'Bag It'. I don't think it's bagging that causes folks not to appreciate their surroundings - how can you miss out on the the experience? I wonder if it's the kind of walker who likes to get to the summit in record time (what are they called then?) who misses out - do they have their heads down while panting all the way up - or is this me merely opening another can of worms  ;) ??
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...

docpaul

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 22:10:50, 03/10/10 »
So many cans .... so many worms .... so little time to eat them all!  ;)
Courage doesn’t always come in a loud roar.
Sometimes courage comes as a small voice at the end of the day saying,
“I’ll try again tomorrow.”

di36mg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 22:24:31, 03/10/10 »
If I could drive I might consider bagging myself.. shame the train lines are so limited.... :(

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 22:47:28, 03/10/10 »
So many cans .... so many worms .... so little time to eat them all!  ;)

Camping food is just not what it used to be. :(
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

ken

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 07:32:55, 04/10/10 »
hi johnny is the article in this month's mag or last month's ( not the bagging one ) whats herself been up to ? as one of them baggers I agree with your comments.see you on the hills  O0
147 to go and counting

SouthDowns

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 08:41:38, 04/10/10 »
The fact that I'd like to do Crib Goch is in itself, a sort of bagging. It's high & spectacular and I've heard of other people doing it, therefore it's on a mental 'to do' list - sooner or later, probably next spring I'll 'Bag It'.

I think that's my point. Don't get mr wrong, I have no problem with anyone using any motivation to get out; if you want to bag, bag away, I'm just trying to explain why it's not for me:

To me, using a list only makes sense if done because it's a list of the most enjoyable xyz's, not if it's a list of ALL xyz's no matter how nice they are. So yes, I too would have Crib Goch on my list in the circumstances you describe, but NOT if it were simply one of 200 ridges with peak angles below 45 degrees, for example.

So I think we all use lists, of things we want to do, it's just that none of the available standard lists matches what I want to see. If a Munro list does for you, go for it!

The standard lists also turn me off because I have a disproportionate dislike of doing what "everyone else" is doing. I'd far rather do something I perceive as "unique". In the same way, I'd be reluctant to do the 3 peaks, no matter how much fun it might be. On one level I admire people who do, on another I can't help thinking "come on people, show some imagination".

But as I say, those are reasons why I don't do it, not reasons why you shouldn't.

Mark
Signature space for rent. Reasonable rates apply.

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 09:07:43, 04/10/10 »
Interesting topic!

I suppose I fall into the group who says that whatever you do, make sure enjoy the outdoors, but that bagging and tick lists are not for me.

I think, first and foremost, that at lot of it is down to your mental make-up. Like SouthDowns said, I'm also a contrary kind of person and will, even subconciously, aim to do things differently if I can. I have always preferred to make up my own walks from the map and in doing that some work better than others, but I have been places I wouldn't have gone otherwise and places far fewer people ever go. I like this particularly as much of our walking is confined to busy weekends and we don't like crowds!

Somehow, as well, the idea of walking a hill just because it is a certain height seems slightly illogical. Surely this, in it's own way, is just as arbitrary a reason for going as choosing all the lowest points? Or, for that matter, the wettest, dryest, hottest, coldest, etc.

For my walking I am always happy to go whenever and wherever I can, picking something to suit my mood and the time available, and I'm equally happy with summits or canal walks, an hour round the block or an LDP. And when you are in big mountain country, where many of the summits are not accessable to walkers, you soon get to appreciate the value of being amongst them as opposed to on them.  O0

But for me the measure of a good walk should be quality first and foremost, and I'm sure that whether you follow my method, choose Wainrights or Muros or whatever, you get the same sort of buzz from it.

Which is the most important thing of all!  :)

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 11:47:49, 04/10/10 »
It is a long time since I have read any of Munro's guides and I will probably confuse any memories of that reading with other authors. Others will hopefully correct me, but I suspect that Munro fell in love with mountains before he became obsessed with the idea of completing all the 3000ft peaks in Scotland (that is my understanding of what a munro is?).

The work of another obsessive has given enormous pleasure and motivation to thousands of walkers. Wainwright became fascinated with the lake district long before he was able to start copiling a list, I often wonder if his real love of the area began when he started to realise that a mountain has other sides, other characters and that the quality of way helps define the pleasure of reaching geographic summits.

But the creators of these lists were originals, as personal acheivements following in their footsteps has given many much to be proud of. Their personal circumstances however will have given them the opportunity to achieve these goals, their individual obsession is harmless.

Collective obsession is a different matter and can overshadow purer motives that can lead each individual to finding their own objectives within the types of terrain that they choose to walk in.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 20:04:39, 04/10/10 »
I have followed my bagger friends around for years - refusing to touch the tops so I don't get bagging fever - I have enough obsessions already. It has become a standing joke between us and they keep trying to catch me standing on the top of peaks. I don't know how many Munroes I have done (they have either completed ornearly done so) - well over half maybe three-quarters over the years but I have not touched the cairn on many (except when sheltering from the wind) so I can't claim to have bagged any, and have only gone over the tops if it looks like it adds to the route.

I think bagging gets you to places you would not normally go but it can cramp style. I recently wanted to do a route but my mate wanted to alter a lovely circuit to miss out a Monroe he had already bagged in order to do a there and back over a boring section to bag a lousy top - not a good aesthetic in my mind so it has its down sides.

Munroe baggers leave Arran (where I have just been) alone because there is no mountain over 3000 feet but it has some of the best ridge scrambles out side of Skye.

BTW - The broken arm is now sporting a lovely bright blue cast for those who are following this story.

Dixie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 20:51:14, 04/10/10 »
As I understand Cogstar has a fine chart on his wall at home so he can tick off his Wainwrights.

??? ;)

JohnnyW

« Reply #26 on: 22:37:53, 04/10/10 »

Munroe baggers leave Arran (where I have just been) alone because there is no mountain over 3000 feet but it has some of the best ridge scrambles out side of Skye.

That is exactly my bloody point! No we don't! (Or at least not the folks I know - maybe I am just lucky with my walking partners or group members?)
I have been to Arran, and thoroughly enjoyed it, as I did the superlative hills of Torridon etc. So have the majority of baggers I know.
I just don't recognise this blinkered individual, oblivious to all that is not 3000ft. There may be some poor souls who live down South who have to 'focus' in order to do the List, but I would contend the experience and capabilities they will develop will lead them on to all manner of further adventures.
Indeed one of my best walking mates is simultaneously bagging the Munros, Wainrights, Welsh 'uns, Nuttals, whatever.
In the example you give above, I would have done both!!  :)
That said, if I did have to detour for a Monroe (sic), she'd better be as comely!  ;)

(BTW, well into second round, and have never made a conscious effort to touch a cairn.... shouldn't be there imo - There's a whole new can o' worms then eh?!

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 10:50:58, 05/10/10 »
I haven't yet started 'bagging'. Though I am contemplating it. Walking hills I have walked before never bores me, indeed I am able to enjoy more and more.
I don't see any reason to knock anyone for doing something harmless.. except... I have done some walks with 'baggers'.. we start on a group walk (this is not WF people) then someone dashes off in another direction.. I don't get that. IF you are going on a group walk, surely the point is to follow the route the leader proposed, as a GROUP?

As you can see my argument is not against bagging. Perhaps its just me... Doesn't matter.
 :-\
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

Mrs Pearsy

« Reply #28 on: 12:11:01, 05/10/10 »
I'm not a 'bagger'  and I'm not bothered about lists etc, and I enjoy taking my time to enjoy the scenery at my pace.  My hubby is a bagger and it's what he enjoys doing.  Each to their own.  He knows that if he wants me to come walking with him, then he has to slow down to my pace, and I know that for him to enjoy his bagging (that almost sounds wrong now  :o ) then he goes with his friends off here.

But I would never criticise him for it and can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to waste their time and effort doing so either.  It wreaks of personal insecurity or inadequacy issues to me.
I love my caravan :)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 12:14:39, 05/10/10 »
As I understand Cogstar has a fine chart on his wall at home so he can tick off his Wainwrights.

??? ;)
My son does but perhaps that is OK when you are 12.

I do have a list of all the Wainwrights I've done, which I don't keep for any other hills. A friend of mine who had a house in the Lakes and walked there for years eventually decided to tick off the last few and I can see why that would be appealing but not it being the only reason to go for a walk.

The thing I like about the Wainwright list (apart form it is in the Lakes) is that it is his eclectic choice not based on rules of height and prominence etc.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy