Author Topic: Naismith's Rule  (Read 10377 times)

Oxenhoper

Naismith's Rule
« on: 00:23:21, 28/05/12 »
Being over-weight and not particularly fit, I tend to think of myself as a slow walker, especially on the uphill sections.  But on the other hand, I can generally keep up with Naismith's rule on walks of up to about 3-4 hours.  After that I find it's a bit optimistic.

How do other people find Naismith's rule works for them?
Oxenhoper was born in Burnley but had the sense to move somewhere nicer at the age of five days.

Walkie Talkie

Re: Naismith's Rule
« Reply #1 on: 00:44:00, 28/05/12 »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naismith's_Rule [nofollow]

For people (like me) who are new to all this and have never heard of the naismith's rule
Better to be up a mountain in the rain, than in an office when the sun is shining

Ridge Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 05:38:48, 28/05/12 »
 O0
Being over-weight and not particularly fit, I tend to think of myself as a slow walker, especially on the uphill sections.  But on the other hand, I can generally keep up with Naismith's rule on walks of up to about 3-4 hours.  After that I find it's a bit optimistic.

How do other people find Naismith's rule works for them?
I have never relied on Naismiths Rule but use it, just as a rough guide.  :)

Naismiths rule assumes walkers are reasonably fit, You are walking on typical terrain and under normal conditions. It does not account fo bad weather or for delays, such as extended breaks, for rests, taking pics or unseen obstacles. Like scramble routes or boggy terrain.
Also weight of the rucksack you are carrying. If you are crossing the Kinder Plateau after heavy rain with a heavy rucksack you sink deeper and progress is slower  ;)   

One example in the lakes is the climb from Mickedore to the summit of Scafell, direct route. There is a path shown but its indistinct on the ground. You can easily go off line ;)   You are then walking on boulders so extra care and more time has to taken. Evem more so when wet.    :)

tabbycat

« Reply #3 on: 07:58:47, 28/05/12 »
I find this on average is about right for me ...

http://www.walkingenglishman.com/walktime.aspx

aljones27

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:15:03, 28/05/12 »
I find I need to add about 50% to the Naismith time - that takes into account photo / rest / food stops etc.
Wainwrights: 17

Remember to keep smiling...
It really freaks people out as they wonder what you are up to...

http://alastairsmiscellany.blogspot.com

OutdoorsApe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:21:39, 28/05/12 »
It depends if I'm on my own or with someone else. I reckon adding 50% is about right if I'm on my own, when with others I more or less double the Naismiths time.

10 miles in the hills generally takes around 7-8 hours when I'm with someone, or 5-6 hours on my own.
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:34:27, 28/05/12 »
I generally find that my times for walks generally compare quite well for low to mid level walks on any distance, but I'm noticeably slower on the really steep mountain routes. However, Naismith of course doesn't compensate for variations in weather and temperate which will have a say in the times you put in.
roll on the weekend

footix2

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:34:52, 28/05/12 »
I don't use it, as it's just too variable especially on long mountain or fell routes.

I tend to base my team on similar routes found on the internet and add an hour for me dawdling up steep bits. :D
82/214

Oxenhoper

« Reply #8 on: 17:21:11, 28/05/12 »
I suppose when I say I can keep up with Naismith I am talking about moderate routes in good weather on good ground with no navigational difficulties.

It's very encouraging to hear people saying "add 50%".  I do like this forum :)

Oxenhoper was born in Burnley but had the sense to move somewhere nicer at the age of five days.

Ridge Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:52:28, 28/05/12 »
I suppose when I say I can keep up with Naismith I am talking about moderate routes in good weather on good ground with no navigational difficulties.

It's very encouraging to hear people saying "add 50%".  I do like this forum :)

I always give myself extra time when walking  O0 

Then I have always walked the Wainwright way, even before he quoted it.  Stop often and look around  O0

OutdoorsApe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:19:01, 28/05/12 »
Stop often and look around

Nearly forgot to do this when I took up walking again, and became obsessed with cadence as I was when I was younger. It's the most important thing.
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

Cathy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:36:21, 28/05/12 »
If I have to work out roughly how long a walk will take I allow 1 hour for 2 & 1/2 miles + 1/2 hour for breaks. It tends to take more time the first time round a route because of stopping to take photos & going slightly off track and finding my way back again, even a bit lost sometimes. Each time around a route it gets a bit quicker & seems easier.
Quit your jibber jabber, get some nuts

ant89

« Reply #12 on: 21:54:04, 28/05/12 »
prefer to work things out from past experience. on most ground on most trips  I average 2 miles per hour, and often faster but 2MPH gives me a timescale on which to work.
ucet.org.uk

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 23:12:19, 28/05/12 »
I suggest one has to remember that Naismith worked out his 'rule of thumb' when the sort of people walking the hills then wore tweed suits, probably ties, and definitely heavy nailed boots. There were also fewer trails that had been trodden out, so he probably had to thrash through heather and bracken.  In those circumstances, his times are quite fast. Nowadays, with light weight gear and worn paths, the experienced hill walker should be able to comfortably beat them - if he wants to. Having said that, the rule is a useful guide for newcomers. After a while of course you get to know how long a particular  sort of route is going to take from past experience.  But I have known people who have viewed the rule as a sort of holy writ that has to be obeyed.

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 23:55:41, 28/05/12 »
I average 1mph in the Lakes on me own stopping to take in the views as much and as often as i like  ;)
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy