Author Topic: Hydration bladders  (Read 10931 times)

Bill T

• Veteran Member
Re: Hydration bladders
« Reply #30 on: 12:07:57, 29/07/12 »
Every few uses (months) I just flush mine through with a milton tablet
Dirger

Resident Lyke Wake Bore

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 13:33:45, 29/07/12 »
I don't much care for tap water so I put orange squash in my Platypus bladder. Because of the sugar content of the squash there's a much increased chance of some microbe or other deciding to make itself at home in the bladder, tubing, valve, etc. I simply wash the whole lot in hot water and washing up liquid after each use. Because my Platypus is a Big-Zip the whole top of the bladder opens and I can get my hand inside it to give it good scrub with a washing up sponge. For the tubing I've got a long bottle brush to clean that. Takes just 10 minutes to give it all a good clean and rinse. O0
Current Munro tally: 78 out of 282 completed so far.

All 190 Welsh Nuttalls completed.

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 14:56:04, 29/07/12 »
I don't much care for tap water so I put orange squash in my Platypus bladder. Because of the sugar content of the squash there's a much increased chance of some microbe or other deciding to make itself at home in the bladder, tubing, valve, etc. I simply wash the whole lot in hot water and washing up liquid after each use. Because my Platypus is a Big-Zip the whole top of the bladder opens and I can get my hand inside it to give it good scrub with a washing up sponge. For the tubing I've got a long bottle brush to clean that. Takes just 10 minutes to give it all a good clean and rinse. O0
Being diabetic I use sugar free orange juice in my platypus.Simply rinse it out after using it.Some of the sugar frees are now just as nice as the regular juices O0

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 17:10:37, 29/07/12 »
Every few uses (months) I just flush mine through with a milton tablet

Just tried that ... tablet got stuck in the tube  ;D ;D ;D
Where there's a will ...

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 17:42:00, 29/07/12 »
Ive never sterilised mine after use, just wash it out and let it dry, then put it in the bottom container in the fridge.
Not used it for 9 months, been in the fridge ever since - no nasties growing.

Bill T

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 17:57:41, 29/07/12 »

Just tried that ... tablet got stuck in the tube  ;D ;D ;D

And some water  ::)
Dirger

Resident Lyke Wake Bore

Roburite

« Reply #36 on: 23:58:50, 29/07/12 »
I've only run out of water once and it was a very hot day. I was really suffering so asked a group of total strangers if they could let me have some. They were kindness itself and it got me down and back to the car in comfort. I wouldn't want to impose on the goodwill of others regularly but it's good to know that people are prepared to help.

Achiles74

« Reply #37 on: 01:12:09, 30/07/12 »
Good idea, but maybe a bit overkill.
Technique commonly used in winter is to blow the water back into the bladder and keeping the tube clear of water. This stops the water freezing the pipe and stopping flow. If using a pressurised system you would not be able to do this.

I like many who have commented on this thread have never had a taste issue or illness related to water. I do flush it well with water after use and hang to dry, or put it in the freezer for longer term storage. Fill with nothing but clean water O0 .

Good point Yeti and one I didnt consider, the water pipe freezing, unless you wrapped it in some type of insulation material.

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 08:07:44, 05/08/12 »

Good point Yeti and one I didnt consider, the water pipe freezing, unless you wrapped it in some type of insulation material.
Sorry for late reply just catching up after being away. You can buy overbraided hoses for some bladder systems, which acts in the same fashion as you stated. I have never used them personally. They're not that good according to people I've asked and a thread on here a while ago.

R.I.P. Dave.

rickit

« Reply #39 on: 08:22:10, 05/08/12 »
You can buy insulation kits for the more popular hydration packs. We have Osprey bladders with insulation kit and they do indeed help.
Rick

"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."

Hazzer

« Reply #40 on: 14:31:23, 15/08/12 »
2 litres in a hydration bladder weigh 2kg, and I certainly wouldn't think of carrying that sort of extra dead weight.  Except in really hot weather, I have half a litre to hand, and if I think it necessary, half a litre, to be used in desperation, buried in my rucksack, and I will top  up when I can.  Anyone who becomes medically dehydrated in this country over the course of a day with a litre plus available has to be doing some very strenuous exercise in untypically torrid conditions.  More often than not, except in summer, I'll walk for five hours before I even think of taking a drink. Until someone convinces me otherwise, I'll continue seeing hydration bladders as a marketing initiative/fashion accessory.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're NOT all out to get me.

Paulr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 15:02:58, 15/08/12 »
We're all different and we have different fluid needs - some like to keep hydrated and some drink as little as a budgie - you do whats best for your needs... just because a bladder holds 2 litres doesnt mean you have to fill it with 2 litres.

Having recently bought a hydration bladder I like the convenience of taking a sip or gulp of water without the need to either stop or fiddle about trying to reach my water bottle - even though my rucksack has side 'pockets' for drinks bottles, Im not sufficently flexible or good at contortionism to reach the things.

I bought the Camelback Classic where the bladder comes in its own little 'rucksack' so its useful for when out running & cycling too
The worlds most boring blog : http://fatscotsgit.blogspot.co.uk/

reevo1390

« Reply #42 on: 15:58:36, 15/08/12 »
I use a source bladder with nuun tablets. For me it is an easier way of staying hydrated on the move and is easier to drink regularly than having to stop and reach for a bottle from my rucksack.

robb

« Reply #43 on: 23:49:47, 16/08/12 »
I used to be a bottle drinker  8) but have been persuaded to go the Bladder option purely for the convenience and weight it saves. Take a couple of water sterilants and purification tablets if on any occasion the water runs out, however that has yet to happen and even on 7-hour hikes in ascending/descending gradiants the Bladder has come in trumps.

It's a bit of a culture shock at first, but there's something liberating about being able to rehydrate on the go instead of stopping and starting opening the backpack.

Matt Hill

« Reply #44 on: 10:52:50, 01/08/13 »
Hi
Ive now had 3 Trekmates Bladders fail on me half way up a hill, it makes for a very unplesent experiance, very wet rucksac causing a very wet back a good way to ruin a walk, buy cheap buy twice! I used to have a two liter Camelbak which served me over a decade only getting a tiny leak from old age (the Trekmates ones only lasted a week!) should have just replaced it with the original!
Matt
"There is no such thing as bad weather, just inadequate clothing" A.W.
I own at least 10 jackets!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy