Author Topic: Pepper spray...  (Read 9691 times)

tyreon

Pepper spray...
« on: 16:59:40, 05/03/14 »
Anyone any idea whether pepper spray is legal or no? On recent posts, people have reported being attacked by a number of animals(horses/cattle)...I am wondering if it is legal to carry such spray for self defence when walking. I should explain,it would be as a last resort,but with increasing age and a some less mobility,I don't think I can escape as quick as I could.

The spray is legal and available in USA. Carried it there when cycling. It isn't CS Gas. The expressed liquid is red in colour.

Maybe I'm getting a little more paranoid as I get older...but I don't want to a weak apology when I'm in a wheelchair from a 'regretful' farmer...or 12K if I end up in a coffin! I'd rather live to walk again.

Thanks for replies

tyreon

Re: Pepper spray...
« Reply #1 on: 17:28:42, 05/03/14 »
Not so good with this computer thingy...I see What a nightmare Day,somewhere in the General Discussion forum mentions pepper spray...is it legal. Also he highlights the concerns I have with some animals(dangerous dogs). I know I'm lucky enough to get old,but I am getting increasingly upset and annoyed by my RoW being impeded. 'Sorry' just doesn't sound good enough.  We've had all the weasel worded apologies from bankers,politicians,North Staff Hospital managers...I just don't believe 'em. Apologies,but I am sick to death of authorities excusing wrongs done by 'lorded folk' but invoking the full force of the law as a deterrent for the small guy.
Am I alone in thinking this way,or what!!!(Think Jack Sheppard,the Hillsboro folk...etc etc)

This is not the place to express my anger... Staff and patients and myself had no proper redress at my last place of work!!

robstubbs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:36:44, 05/03/14 »
Pretty sure it's illegal to carry it.

Rob.

Woolycardie

« Reply #3 on: 17:42:57, 05/03/14 »
I've come across this which makes it clear:-
 Pepper spray / CS Gas & Other Noxious substances  
  Pepper spray is a popular weapon of choice for those that wish to carry it for self defence purposes. However, in the UK - Pepper spray / CS Gas is considered a firearm and carries the same legal repercussions as carrying a gun does. If you are caught with pepper spray and/or import it, you will face arrest and a subsequent criminal record. 
Pepper spray falls under the description as set out in Section. 5 of the Firearms Act 1968: “Any weapon of whatever description designed or adapted for the discharge of any noxious liquid, gas or other thing”. It is strictly prohibited in the United Kingdom

Woody

« Reply #4 on: 17:48:07, 05/03/14 »
As above, section 5 firearm.
The are products that are non toxic or noxious on the market though. The Police use a product called "Bite Back" which is an anti dog spray. Smells like a cross between oil of cloves and peppermint and sprays out like a really powerful deodorant.

robstubbs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:01:19, 05/03/14 »
As above, section 5 firearm.
The are products that are non toxic or noxious on the market though. The Police use a product called "Bite Back" which is an anti dog spray. Smells like a cross between oil of cloves and peppermint and sprays out like a really powerful deodorant.

You could probably achieve the same effect with 'old spice'  O0

Rob.

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:16:35, 05/03/14 »
Yes, I asked about pepper spray recently but only wanted to know if it is legal to carry it in France? I hope to hike the GR10 later in the year and the thought of one of those Pyrenean Patois sheep guarding dogs going for me does not fill me with pleasure.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:50:59, 05/03/14 »
 You don't need pepper spray.Any perfume,deodorant or antiperspirant can be sprayed into the cow or dogs eyes to cause short term blindness.I found this out the hard way when I washed my eyes with meths rather than Optrex.The bottle was the same colour. :-[ The pain was terrible and I was rendered blind for around half an hour.

CallMeSteven

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:56:46, 05/03/14 »
I don't think that's going to work too well. If a charging bull is aiming at you and you spray it, would it just run away or keep going at you?

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:07:04, 05/03/14 »
I can't imagine spraying anything would work  :-\   If the animal is that close that you can get a direct "hit" in it's eyes, then it's too close to either dodge out of the way from, or it won't be able to stop it's own forward movement from crashing into you anyway.

Plus, would anyone have the lightning reflexes / presence of mind to point and spray a can of anything at the right moment, then get out of the way, if they were a bit panicky?

.... Though I'm sure wearing Old Spice would keep most things at a safe distance  ;D

Walktall

« Reply #10 on: 19:11:25, 05/03/14 »
Now I know  what to do when Mel has the mistletoe ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bohemian Brummie

« Reply #11 on: 19:12:11, 05/03/14 »
You are the one in control when you are out walking. There are many things you can do when animals get in the way of your mission. You can always become rich by claiming damages. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJHNZFucDDU  :P
Britain http://goo.gl/vLmtw0 Midlands http://goo.gl/xq3TDW
2013 Walks 48 - Miles 1016.0
2014 Walks 25 - Miles 0648.0 -16.7M (05:37H) +35.7M (12:22H)

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:18:08, 05/03/14 »
Now I know  what to do when Mel has the mistletoe ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

:D :D :tickedoff: :2funny:

Oi  :knuppel2: :knuppel2: :knuppel2:

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:24:19, 05/03/14 »
I don't think that's going to work too well. If a charging bull is aiming at you and you spray it, would it just run away or keep going at you?

I certainly don't intend to try it myself!

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:29:28, 05/03/14 »
Arm yourself with knowledge instead?  :

http://survival.about.com/od/8/a/How-To-Survive-An-Aggressive-Cow-Attack.htm

You'd have your work cut out subduing an agitated herd of cows with any kind of spray deterrent.
As has been said, with dogs, you're unlikely to have either the time or the presence of mind to do similar.
solvitur ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy