Author Topic: Walking Speed.  (Read 11884 times)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Walking Speed.
« on: 16:52:39, 07/07/16 »
Serious question, just how fast do people really walk. Using the PW as an example I have averaged a speed of around 1.4 mph. I have been told by colleagues that this is quite slow.I am in my 60s , take beta blockers which means I cannot "up" my heart rate when i need to. (to use a car analogy, I cannot change down a gear, to get up steep hills easily. I puff and pant my way up them. )

Is that too slow, and if so how do I up that "natural speed" into something a bit quicker. I tend to walk on my own mostly. Does listening to music help? I enjoy listening to the natural noises around me, except those bloody grouse which rise up two feet away from you, scaring the bejaysus out of you with their "go back" screams.

Too little, too late, too bad......

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking Speed.
« Reply #1 on: 17:51:47, 07/07/16 »
I think the Naismiths Rule is based on an average of 2mph?  

I walk slow (“average” about 1 to 1.5mph in average walking conditions (steep, gnarly mountain routes I’m a heckova lot slower!)).  My average moving speed is faster but, because I don’t stop my track recording every time I stop to take a photograph or have a snack or rest my ankle, those zero miles per hour are factored into the overall average – which lowers it.  

Given that you say you’re taking beta-blockers, trying to “up” your speed might not be a good idea?  If your heart can’t (because of the meds) pump enough oxygen round your body fast enough then you could end up feeling ill or passing out.  Something to ponder on and mebby get your doctor’s advice on?  

Personally, I think, unless you’re competing in some sort of time trial or trying to improve fitness / cardio workout, then speed doesn’t actually matter.  Enjoy the walk, the journey, the scenery.  

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:32:26, 07/07/16 »
I've honestly no idea. I probably vary wildly depending on circumstances :-\
Sorry thats not very helpful is it?
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:40:08, 07/07/16 »
In round terms;
On good going (road/track) 5kph.
On rougher going (footpath) 4.5 - 4kph.
Off piste 3-4 kph.
Uphill knock off 0.5 to 1 kph
Steep downhill knock off 0.5kph.
Easy downhill add 0.5 kph

I walk in metric because OS maps are metric and it makes the sums easier.
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:43:37, 07/07/16 »
On my Pennine Way walk in 2012 my average speed each day was plus/minus 2.5 mph although on a normal day walk I average around 3mph.

But as said above speed isn't crucial  .... Walk so you enjoy it (I did enough hard marches in the Army).
Where there's a will ...

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:58:10, 07/07/16 »
Thanks Mel, the doc is fully aware of what I'm doing. He insisted I did not even attempt to do the PW in onee go. I have to knock off every now and then  and get back to get my blood tested. etc. Last tranche I gave up a day early because I knew something was not right. Turns out I had a virus. Looking forward to getting back into it again.  P

Pleb , I did say I am in my 60s. KPH really! :) we just voted to leave the EU  and you still quote KPH :) Still your rates & Mel's rates showed me I'm not doing too badly.

Sussamb, I'm using your route on the PW and can only dream about your speed, I had a misspent middle age and am now taking the tablets as a result.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:00:16, 07/07/16 »
Stride length comes to mind.
Over the years ive been in the company of fellow walkers whose stride length was twice my own.
Analysing their stride, there was nothing unusual or pronounced about them, and their height did not indicate a stride length of mamoth proportions.

Whilst living in South Wales many years ago, i was an avid competitor in various challenge events, and certain walkers covered ground incredibly quickly, keeping up with them over any distance was tiring to say the least.

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:39:45, 07/07/16 »
My OH  takes a pile of pills every morning including beta blockers and has walked pretty slowly for the last several years, however he's been on a bit of a mission to go a bit further with dog walking and is definitely getting quicker. He also chooses some more undulating routes of late. He does listen to the radio, though 5live, not music. Whatever speed is comfortable is the best speed for you, but I would imagine that even on the drugs, upping the regularity/distance/terrain will see you going a little quicker. Maybe do some deliberately faster sections if you want to speed up. But most of all, enjoy it -it doesn't matter what abyone else thinks O0

Alewife

...beware of the bull!

keithie

« Reply #8 on: 21:36:37, 07/07/16 »
fwiw I dont think speed is important at all... unless you are gonna run out of time or annoy companions so much that they bury you in a quake bog on Mickle Fell or shove you off Striding Edge!

I went up Scafell Pike from Wasdale Head up the river to the col then around and down back over Lingmell in 8 hours (probably  not much more than 1mph)! I guess 3-4 hours or less would be doable by some. But then I did the Whernside loop from Ribblehead viaduct anti-clock in 5 hours vs the 'average' of 4.5 (about 1.5mph)

Having said that I ca easily sustain 3mph on flatish rough tracks for 3-4 hours.

As for Naismith's rule, isnt there an adjustment for relative fitness ?
« Last Edit: 21:43:26, 07/07/16 by keithie »

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:11:12, 07/07/16 »
Some thing I've been reading up on lately.  Varies greatly depending a lot on gradient and ground under foot. 

Apparently a typical person walks at around 2.7mph on flat ground.   We change the way we walk depending on the speed and naturally tend to walk at a speed that is efficient for us and should allow us to travel a good distance.  Increasing the pace just a little seems to burn a few more calories for the distance travelled and slowing down a little also burns more calories for the distance travelled.  At bit like the car at 56mph thing for maximum mpg. 

Out in the real world as said we also change our walking technique walking down hill.  up to about 12% it's easier to walk down hill. Then we tend to change technique and it suddenly becomes slower and uses more energy, as we have to balance and stop the runaway effect of gravity.

Enough blurb and one last comment.  I have found in the real word I walk faster, when I'm walking with a group.   The distraction of chatting the ease of following rather than navigating must help.

« Last Edit: 22:23:28, 07/07/16 by BuzyG »

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 23:13:31, 07/07/16 »
...  I have found in the real word I walk faster, when I'm walking with a group....   

That's interesting.  I find I'm slower in a group because I can't get a breathing rhythm due to chatting!

This topic has reminded me of my 4-stops-now-no-stops-hill.  The first time I walked up it, I stopped 4 times to catch my breath.  I can now walk up it without stopping.  I'm not breaking any land-speed records when I do it but, to me, it indicates that my fitness had improved.  Which makes me think fitness isn't just about speed  :)

Another thing I noticed is that, when I was at my pal's caravan in the Lakes.  The hill "on the doorstep" is High Rigg.  And it's got a lovely little summit for an evening cuppa and supper.  The first night I walked up it, I huffed and puffed and stopped about a million times.  By the end of the week I didn't even break a sweat.  So regular repetition definitely plays a part too. (it's just a pity I don't have these hills on my doorstep normally to keep the fitness up  :(  )

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 00:17:30, 08/07/16 »
I've been doing at least 4 miles per day for the last three years, when preparing for the PW I did the Cleveland Way & the Viking Way, following the guides and their recommended stages. I also do a fair bit of digging in my allotment, which is supposed to give suppleness (?) and I try and do a few hundred steps ( up and down steps) every day. So I tend not to get too tired walking and accept hills for what they are. I had hoped that I would be able to get my speed up to at least 2 mph average based on what my mates tell me. To date I have not been able to do that, but based on what you are telling me, I am not doing too badly and will cease to worry about it from now on.

Thank you all for your advice, yet again.

Summit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 01:25:44, 08/07/16 »
If you use apps like Strava it tells you your walking speed. My average seems to be 3.2 mph for up to 10 miles with it reducing to around 3mph with any distance over ten.

Most apps pause when they realise you have stopped so it is more accurate measurement of actual walking speed. I live in quite undulating terrain so my average is lower than Ruth (yorksgal) who walks at about 4mph in relatively flat East Ridding of Yorkshire.

When we walk together we are pretty much the same pace.
BURN FAT NOT OIL

MoelPysgod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 03:12:48, 08/07/16 »
In town, or walking to work, I walk just under 4mph (what's that, 6kph?) and so I used to assume a pace of 3mph (4.5kph??) when planning a mountain walk. In practise I'm nothing like that fast - for instance, the seven miles of the Snowdon Horseshoe took me 6.5 hours, and last week a 19-mile walk on the Pembrokeshire Coast Path took me nearly eight hours (though I was shocked to see I'd done over 3000 feet of ascent on what seemed a pretty flat walk). I stop to admire views far too frequently, and if there's a nice grassy patch overlooking a valley I'll invariably sit on it and have a fag and a snickers. This all adds up a lot. So I've found that, like a job, a walk will expand to take up as much time as is available.

When I started walking, I used to go full-pelt from the start and then wonder why I was struggling after the first hour. Learning to pace yourself takes time and as others have suggested, a group will walk at a much more sensible pace than an individual. But really, it doesn't matter how fast you're going, does it? As long as you're out and enjoying yourself, I see no reason to care. The right pace is whatever you're comfortable at.

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 07:33:08, 08/07/16 »
Ordinarily I have no idea how fast I walk. I would describe it as being 'very steady', or slow to real people.
However it just so happens that last Tuesday I went up Whernside for the first time this year. Up and down via Blea Moor. My GPS gave me an average speed of 2.6 MPH over nearly 9 miles and whatever ascent it amounts to.
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy