Author Topic: Another footwear topic  (Read 1723 times)

Whiskeytownracer

Another footwear topic
« on: 14:39:02, 07/11/19 »
Hello all. I've been browsing here for a couple of years and gained some useful info, decided it's time to ask the collective for thoughts on my requirements.
This is my 2nd attempt at writing this, lost the first post to auto log out, grrrr. Was a lengthy post which had been interrupted a couple of times. I noticed when registering there were choices about staying logged in but can't find options to change now, any pointers?
Given how long the first post was I'll do this one differently, which might assist with people not bothering/falling asleep before getting to the end.
I walk (and run a bit) all year round, averaging 5 days pw. Rarely less than 50 miles pw, up to perhaps 80 or 90. Of this, 10-15 miles running, has been slowly but gradually increasing over time.
Terrain varies, one day might be 8 miles all tarmac/pavement, the next 20 miles almost all 'off road' on footpaths and bridleways ranging from hardpack to wet and muddy, sometimes unpleasantly deep at this time of year. Nothing super technical, the most challenging being an occasional jaunt in the Peak District.

My last 3 pairs of shoes have been Merrells of varying price points and have done the job with differing levels of success.

I've been contemplating different footwear for different conditions and useage but this places limitations on the running I do, which is usually ad hoc when I feel like it.

Having started watching some hikers and backpackers on Youtube I've become more aware of some other brands. I used to mountain bike a lot, still do a bit, but recalled I sometimes used waterproof socks which got me thinking that perhaps something from Innov8 or the like coupled with said socks might be just the ticket for me. Then I came across several people suggesting 2/3/400 mile lifespans for a few of the Innov8 models. Is this really the case?! That might be a 6-8 week lifespan for me at best!, hmmm.
Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Another footwear topic
« Reply #1 on: 15:34:05, 07/11/19 »
I run most days, 90% off road, only on tarmac when I have no choice but I only ten to run a maximum 5 miles at a time. Still, I would assess in the time that I've had my shoes they and I would have covered 100, possibly even 200 miles? I have used them for four years but they now need to be replaced because the fabric area covering my toes is now fraying badly. Surprisingly, the soles are worn but not by that much. I often think that cheaper shoe soles may last longer? My cheap Decathlon boots for example, I've walked a long way in them but the soles still look hardly worn.

My way of dealing with off-road shoes is to buy a cheap, comfortable and well-fitting pair (mine are Adidas, cost me £29.99 if I remember correctly) from our local outlet store and then inserted my Superfeet inserts into them. In my opinion, having bought 'expensive' shoes before, my inserts make my 'cheap' shoes into 'expensive' shoes. I mean by this that they are comfortable and pleasant to run in. I can't really say that I notice the difference between my cheap shoes and the more expensive ones I've had but I think that my present cheap shoes have certainly lasted longer. I also have a cheap Nike pavement running pair as well and at the moment I am using them as off-roaders. They are fine off-road when the paths are dry but a bit slippy when it's wet.

I use Sorbothane inserts in my hiking boots. I've worn inserts for so long now I couldn't imagine life without them.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:12:16, 07/11/19 »
Hi, welcome to the forum, I can't contribute to your query but I would advise you to either check the box for 'Aways stay logged in' when you sign on, OR to highlight what you are writing and Ctrl+C so that you can paste it back on if you get logged out for whatever reason.
The latter is particularly useful if, as sometimes happens, you click to post your reply and see a red warning that someone else has replied before you. When you go back to see what they've posted, and return to what you were writing it's gone! You lose it and have to start over, as you have found the hard way from getting logged out.

Whiskeytownracer

« Reply #3 on: 18:29:51, 07/11/19 »
Hi, welcome to the forum, I can't contribute to your query but I would advise you to either check the box for 'Aways stay logged in' when you sign on, OR to highlight what you are writing and Ctrl+C so that you can paste it back on if you get logged out for whatever reason.
The latter is particularly useful if, as sometimes happens, you click to post your reply and see a red warning that someone else has replied before you. When you go back to see what they've posted, and return to what you were writing it's gone! You lose it and have to start over, as you have found the hard way from getting logged out.
Thanks. Didn't realise the option was only at login, explains my search being fruitless. Normally I'd happily use always logged in but the site security appears to be a little sub standard so deliberately avoided it. I actually thought about copy/pasting but under estimated how long my interruptions were. Schoolboy error which I should have avoided having suffered the same on other fora in the past.

Whiskeytownracer

« Reply #4 on: 18:39:22, 07/11/19 »
I run most days, 90% off road, only on tarmac when I have no choice but I only ten to run a maximum 5 miles at a time. Still, I would assess in the time that I've had my shoes they and I would have covered 100, possibly even 200 miles? I have used them for four years but they now need to be replaced because the fabric area covering my toes is now fraying badly. Surprisingly, the soles are worn but not by that much. I often think that cheaper shoe soles may last longer? My cheap Decathlon boots for example, I've walked a long way in them but the soles still look hardly worn.

My way of dealing with off-road shoes is to buy a cheap, comfortable and well-fitting pair (mine are Adidas, cost me £29.99 if I remember correctly) from our local outlet store and then inserted my Superfeet inserts into them. In my opinion, having bought 'expensive' shoes before, my inserts make my 'cheap' shoes into 'expensive' shoes. I mean by this that they are comfortable and pleasant to run in. I can't really say that I notice the difference between my cheap shoes and the more expensive ones I've had but I think that my present cheap shoes have certainly lasted longer. I also have a cheap Nike pavement running pair as well and at the moment I am using them as off-roaders. They are fine off-road when the paths are dry but a bit slippy when it's wet.

I use Sorbothane inserts in my hiking boots. I've worn inserts for so long now I couldn't imagine life without them.
My experience with most things, footwear included, is that you get what you pay for. Certainly there can be the odd exception. The pair of Merrells prior to my current ones lasted over 3k miles, mixed walking and running though to be fair when finally consigned to the bin they were utterly destroyed and should have been replaced a good few hundred miles earlier.

I've never used inserts at all and am perhaps missing out. Before that stage though I need to find the basic solution for type of product.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:02:04, 07/11/19 »
Hi Whiskeytownracer. I walk the same sorts of distances as you and over similar kinds of terrain and I'm still searching for the perfect shoes.

I want shoes that provide good arch support, are comfortable, and have long-lasting soles. It's the last requirement that I've struggled with most.

I've had three pairs of non-waterproof Merrells this year and worn out two pairs so far. They've been fantastic, but the soles have worn down very quickly. These were the first non-Gore-Tex shoes I'd tried and they were wonderfully cool in hot weather.

My most expensive shoes are GTX Scarpas. The soles started wearing down so quickly in general use that I wear them only for off-road, wet walks!

My first pairs of walking shoes were GTX Salomons. They took a long time to break in (they hurt the tops of my feet!) and were too warm in the summer, but the soles lasted extremely well. I've recently bought a very lightweight pair of GTX Salomon Sandford shoes and they're excellent - cool, grippy, waterproof and they're wearing well. It's true that you often get what you pay for, but these Salomons cost half as much as my Scarpas and I think they're far better!

I was excited when Innov8 brought out shoes with 'graphene soles' but there isn't anywhere near me for me to try them.

Insoles have been mentioned... I use Superfeet insoles as required, not just for the sake of it. I have them in my Scarpa and new Salomon shoes, but not in the Merrells or my earlier Salomons.

(Boots are good too, but only when the conditions require them!)

Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:58:38, 07/11/19 »
Having started watching some hikers and backpackers on Youtube I've become more aware of some other brands. I used to mountain bike a lot, still do a bit, but recalled I sometimes used waterproof socks which got me thinking that perhaps something from Innov8 or the like coupled with said socks might be just the ticket for me. Then I came across several people suggesting 2/3/400 mile lifespans for a few of the Innov8 models. Is this really the case?! That might be a 6-8 week lifespan for me at best!, hmmm.
Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

I've had a couple of pairs of inov8's 295 which are one of the lightest shoes they make, or made. I managed to rip the uppers on a five day trip to Knoydart, mainly running scree. The other pair are still going strong after eighteen months/two years. The 295's really are a fell running shoe so if you're looking for a walking shoe then you'd be better looking at one of their stronger models. I hear good things about their graphine soles. My main gripe is with gore-tex liners which they seem hell bent on fitting to all their shoes and boots. They won't keep the water out especially when you're wading in knee deep rivers. What they do do is hinder the inside of the shoes from drying, so you end with wet feet for longer.   

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:52:48, 07/11/19 »
I have a few pairs of Karrimor  walking shoes from Sports direct. I agree that the water proof liners serve too keep shoes wetter for longer once they get wet.  But I find them really comfortable to wear on rough ground for long distances.  I jogged the 26.5 miles Dartmoor Highground marathon this summer and they were just great for that.   O0

This time of year I am back in my boots and gaiters.  I did still jog a fair bit of my 18.5 mile outing on the moor last weekend.  ;)
« Last Edit: 20:56:12, 07/11/19 by BuzyG »

WILDWALKINGUK

« Reply #8 on: 07:32:18, 08/11/19 »
The Inov-8 Roclite 350 or 370 are worth a look. They both have a tougher upper material and graphene soles which I know will last over 1000 miles. (I walked 1200 miles in Inov-8 Roclite 345 G) Very impressed with them for walking but disappointed with the Goretex lining not lasting. The Roclite 370s have a softer sole like the 325s better for running but also good for walking. (I did the TGO Challenge in them). Buy at least a half size bigger, probably one to one and a half size bigger if you're wearing thick or waterproof socks in. I do not know how long the upper material will last but I am currently testing the 370s and 275s and will be shortly reviewing them on my blog; https://wildwalkinguk.com/ or follow me on twitter; https://twitter.com/wildwalkinguk for updates. I hope this helps.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:07:26, 08/11/19 »
Perhaps our problem is that there is no real answer, other than to try our best to find out what suits us and what compromises we are prepared to make to achieve our goal. The one thing that I am sure about though and I know its only my personal opinion, but I do not believe that we get what we pay for, well not always anyway.

In my case, why have my cheap shoes and boot soles lasted longer than my more expensive ones? Why are my £7.99 Decathlon hiking trousers so much better than my £70 Marmot trousers. Why is my £15 rain jacket so much better than my £220 Paramo rain jacket? And why is my £15 jacket hood so much better than my other more expensive raincoat hoods? Why is my £3.99 Decathlon underwear so much better than my £25 underwear? And why is my 20-year-old Blacks full zip fleece still the best one of all?

I've purchased rubbish as well, like my blue Alpkit synthetic warm jacket, my other and similar priced black Alpkit synthetic jacket is really good but my last fleece purchase from them also proved to be useless.

To be fair though, I am happy to admit that my Rab gaiters are very good indeed. I'm extremely satisfied with my Rab Vitall windproof jacket and I like my Marmot Precip but only when it's not raining (it leaks around the back of the neck) I also like my Berghaus Superlights and I have liked all of my fabric type boots as well. They were all very comforfortable for hiking even though they all leaked.

So for me, I don't subscribe to the view you get what you pay for. If I was a good and dedicated shopper, which I'm not, I'd try to spend more time choosing my stuff in all price ranges, but I don't so have paid the penalty for it.

Whiskeytownracer

« Reply #10 on: 11:01:48, 08/11/19 »
The Inov-8 Roclite 350 or 370 are worth a look. They both have a tougher upper material and graphene soles which I know will last over 1000 miles. (I walked 1200 miles in Inov-8 Roclite 345 G) Very impressed with them for walking but disappointed with the Goretex lining not lasting. The Roclite 370s have a softer sole like the 325s better for running but also good for walking. (I did the TGO Challenge in them). Buy at least a half size bigger, probably one to one and a half size bigger if you're wearing thick or waterproof socks in. I do not know how long the upper material will last but I am currently testing the 370s and 275s and will be shortly reviewing them on my blog.
Interesting stuff, thanks. Recently discovered your blog and am working my way through it.

Whiskeytownracer

« Reply #11 on: 11:22:12, 08/11/19 »
Perhaps our problem is that there is no real answer, other than to try our best to find out what suits us and what compromises we are prepared to make to achieve our goal. The one thing that I am sure about though and I know its only my personal opinion, but I do not believe that we get what we pay for, well not always anyway.

So for me, I don't subscribe to the view you get what you pay for. If I was a good and dedicated shopper, which I'm not, I'd try to spend more time choosing my stuff in all price ranges, but I don't so have paid the penalty for it.
Indeed, compromise is the key word. I may be prepared to make choices you would not and vice versa. What we hope is that by gathering real user information, as is the intent of my posting here, is that we end up with the 'best' solution for our circumstances and the compromises we are happy or willing to make. Sounds like you have a slightly different philosophy to me, and that's fine-there are plenty of products out to relieve us both of our money!

Whilst I generally feel spending a bit more is worthwhile it's certainly not always the case. Value is the key imo, not absolute cost (whether that is high or low) In my original post which was lost I mentioned my current Merrells which have an RRP of £145 and they are quite possibly the single worst item of footwear I've ever had the misfortune to buy. Anyone considering this particular shoe, the Chameleon 7 GTX, should spend as much time as possible trying them before purchase!

Whiskeytownracer

« Reply #12 on: 11:24:52, 08/11/19 »
Hi Whiskeytownracer. I walk the same sorts of distances as you and over similar kinds of terrain and I'm still searching for the perfect shoes.

I want shoes that provide good arch support, are comfortable, and have long-lasting soles. It's the last requirement that I've struggled with most.

I've had three pairs of non-waterproof Merrells this year and worn out two pairs so far. They've been fantastic, but the soles have worn down very quickly. These were the first non-Gore-Tex shoes I'd tried and they were wonderfully cool in hot weather.

My most expensive shoes are GTX Scarpas. The soles started wearing down so quickly in general use that I wear them only for off-road, wet walks!

My first pairs of walking shoes were GTX Salomons. They took a long time to break in (they hurt the tops of my feet!) and were too warm in the summer, but the soles lasted extremely well. I've recently bought a very lightweight pair of GTX Salomon Sandford shoes and they're excellent - cool, grippy, waterproof and they're wearing well. It's true that you often get what you pay for, but these Salomons cost half as much as my Scarpas and I think they're far better!

I was excited when Innov8 brought out shoes with 'graphene soles' but there isn't anywhere near me for me to try them.

Insoles have been mentioned... I use Superfeet insoles as required, not just for the sake of it. I have them in my Scarpa and new Salomon shoes, but not in the Merrells or my earlier Salomons.

(Boots are good too, but only when the conditions require them!)
Thanks for the reply, plenty of useful info.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 13:30:09, 08/11/19 »
...In my original post which was lost I mentioned my current Merrells which have an RRP of £145 and they are quite possibly the single worst item of footwear I've ever had the misfortune to buy. Anyone considering this particular shoe, the Chameleon 7 GTX, should spend as much time as possible trying them before purchase!

By coincidence, two of the three pairs of Merrell shoes I mentioned earlier are Cham 7s - but non-GTX versions.

I bought the first pair (a 'special' leather version) for about £70 in a Go Outdoors sale. They were incredibly comfortable, but it was late spring and I found them quite warm...

...so I bought the fabric non-GTX version for around £100 and they were fantastic. They were cool, very supporting, extremely comfortable, I could walk all day in them, and they looked good too! But the soles had very little grip on wet surfaces and they wore down much too quickly.

So in my case, they were the best summer walking shoes I've ever had - but only for a very short time.  ;)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Whiskeytownracer

« Reply #14 on: 15:55:47, 08/11/19 »
By coincidence, two of the three pairs of Merrell shoes I mentioned earlier are Cham 7s - but non-GTX versions.

I bought the first pair (a 'special' leather version) for about £70 in a Go Outdoors sale. They were incredibly comfortable, but it was late spring and I found them quite warm...

...so I bought the fabric non-GTX version for around £100 and they were fantastic. They were cool, very supporting, extremely comfortable, I could walk all day in them, and they looked good too! But the soles had very little grip on wet surfaces and they wore down much too quickly.

So in my case, they were the best summer walking shoes I've ever had - but only for a very short time.  ;)
Ha! Just goes to show how different each of us are. Mine too have been questionable in grip, yet mediocre in sole wear but the uppers are also failing now. I think they are reasonably well made but a long way from £145 worth, I paid ~£85 iirc.
Biggest issue for me is the plastic support that runs along the outside rear just under the ankle. I lost so much skin from the ankle area in the first month or so, it was agony. If this 'feature' appeared to have some beneficial function I might be less scathing. As it is; well, I'll refrain from further comment due to forum rules on profanity.
Edit: Oh and like most seem to, the waterproof lining lasted about 8 weeks before being almost useless.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy