Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292207 times)

Bhod

• Veteran Member
Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #390 on: 21:37:51, 11/02/18 »
In relation to KimE's mail, she is clearly not from the UK where the law states that "The Criminal Justice Act (1988) says that you may carry a knife with a blade length of 3.0" or less so long as it is capable of folding and does not lock" -  so no fixed blade knives as an every day carry!! "Unless someone knows differently then even a 2 and half inch fixed blade may not be carried in areas where the public may be. or to carry out a specific job of work, where the constabulary has been given a certain amount of discretion, seemingly. (I have myself wondered about those sliding/locking blade craft knives where a 4" blade can be achieved?

KimE doesn't state it is an edc, just that they've bought one.  It is also possible to carry a blade either fixed or locking of longer than 2.5 inches in Public areas "as long as you have a valid reason for doing so"  (Freelance chefs for instance, travelling between engagements), as an outdoors person I frequently carry a knife with me on excursions, it's normallly carried  in the bottom of my pack until I reach my destination, obviously you'd be foolish to travel through public areas with it strapped to your waist or in your pocket but as long as you can prove a valid reason for having it about your person then there are no comebacks.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

KimE

« Reply #391 on: 21:43:39, 11/02/18 »
Yes we have a law in Sweden about not carry knifes in public areas it doesn`t say anything about size or fixed blades, forests and mountains are not counted as public areas. In the rural area i live in people are not so picky about it.

No its not an every day carry its for outdoorslife mostly cooking, making fire, skinning small game.
« Last Edit: 21:49:37, 11/02/18 by KimE »

Pitboot

« Reply #392 on: 23:53:14, 25/05/18 »
My latest purchase has been a hip belt pouch by Aiguille. My Osprey Talon pouches are next to useless, too small and too far round the sides, and this pouch slides over a hip belt fin and over one of the fixed pouches. Much better now i can actually reach it and it opens easily, has two compartments for snacks, camera, etc. I got to try it out at Ennerdale last Tuesday. I'll try to find a way of fixing the pouch semi permanently so it does not slide off when I undo the belt.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #393 on: 23:59:51, 25/05/18 »
... I'll try to find a way of fixing the pouch semi permanently so it does not slide off when I undo the belt.

A bit of carefully placed velcro on the loops of the pouch/belt of rucksack.

Alternatively, fasten it to your trousers belt (this is what I do with mine).

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #394 on: 06:31:08, 26/05/18 »
I used cable ties to fix a pouch to the hip belt of my LA  rucksack  O0
Where there's a will ...

zuludog

« Reply #395 on: 06:42:50, 26/05/18 »
As you might have seen in another post, I have recently bought an MSR Hubba NX Solo tent, and I think it's pretty good
The quality of the sewing and the general workmanship is excellent
Typical price is just over £300, with the footprint another £30 to £40, but Elite Mountain Supplies have an offer - tent & footprint for £306  

They also have Platypus water bladders on offer, so I got 2l one, and a couple of other odds & ends

MichaelUK

« Reply #396 on: 15:56:22, 27/05/18 »
Oboz Firebrand 11 B-Dry trail shoes. £112 from Go Outdoors, very comfy strait out of the box. A Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 1 tent,  £174 from SportPursuit, well chuffed.

marmottungsten

« Reply #397 on: 20:19:37, 27/05/18 »
A Brother FS70WT sewing machine, from Argos.  I bought it to make custom made webbing straps and pouches.  At first I just wanted to replace the awful pouch my lovely Alpkit Splitta ultralight camping table came in, because it was bright high-viz orange, making it totally unsuitable for stealth camping.  So I bought some medium weight, water resistant, Polyester fabric in a dark olive green colour, perfect for stealth camping, then I bought the sewing machine to actually turn the fabric into a new pouch.  Took me a whole day to master the machine, then it was plane sailing.  I changed the design from the original pouch, which had a flap on one end held down with velcro, to one with a full width flap (for easier access), expanding sides (to increase the pouches volume (so it could carry other awkward-to-carry items, like my Qi-Wiz ultralight Titanium cathole trowel), webbing loops sewn on the back to allow it to attach securely to the top of the daisy chain on either side of my back pack, and the top flap is held down with two webbing straps which can be tightened down via ladderlock buckles...These also allow the front of the pouch to be cinched down tight,  to keep everything inside from rattling around when I walk.  Another bonus is that despite the webbing on it, it is actually 5g lighter than the original pouch!  I was so pleased with the result I made a new pouch for my Helinox Chair Zero out of the same fabric.  Before that, I was having to carry the Chair Zero in a Helinox Table One carry bag, which weighs a whopping 56g...The new pouch has a rolltop and the top can be cinched down via two quick release buckles, and the sides of the pouch can also be cinched down via the ladderlock buckle straps I made to hold the pouch vertically on the back of my backpack.  It only weighs just over 20g, at least half the weight of the Table One bag.   It is strapped onto one corner, and my tent poles are strapped vertically to the other corner, in the camo green tent pole bag that was supplied with my tent...This balances the weight evenly, frees up useful space in my backpack, allows me to keep the width of the pack as narrow as possible, so it can't snag on branches when walking through dense forest and it still allows me to have unhindered access the mesh side pockets and the big mesh pocket in the middle.  It has got me thinking of maybe going into business making ultralight custom rucksack/backpack accessory packs and pouches and selling them on sites like ebay or Amazon...Not sure if there is a big market for such items though.   
« Last Edit: 20:24:52, 27/05/18 by marmottungsten »

Troggy

« Reply #398 on: 08:52:53, 29/05/18 »
Marmottungsden...I'm jealous! I bought a 2nd hand sewing machine with the hope of modifying and making my camping and walking gear. Hah! Can't even work out how to put a new reel on!! If you're thinking of making some really lightweight items, why not have a go with one and stick it on Ebay just to see how it goes? Best wishes if you do.As I've just put on another thread, I've just bought a pair of Meindl boots for £45 and can't wait to try them out tomorrow. I've kept them on all day, for a couple of days and they're really comfortable and I'm chuffed to bits. First proper pair of boots for ages.

marmottungsten

« Reply #399 on: 09:32:48, 29/05/18 »
Meindl boots for £45???  I just looked them up and Cotswold Outdoors is selling  Meindl boots for £210!  Either they are second hand or you got a real bargain!  

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #400 on: 11:35:23, 29/05/18 »
My latest purchase has been a hip belt pouch by Aiguille. My Osprey Talon pouches are next to useless, too small and too far round the sides, and this pouch slides over a hip belt fin and over one of the fixed pouches. Much better now i can actually reach it and it opens easily, has two compartments for snacks, camera, etc. I got to try it out at Ennerdale last Tuesday. I'll try to find a way of fixing the pouch semi permanently so it does not slide off when I undo the belt.

I've tried both press studs, velcro tabs and staples. Nothing is perfect. Sometimes you want/need to push a pouch away, other times you want it at the front.. :-\
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #401 on: 11:40:39, 29/05/18 »
A Brother FS70WT sewing machine, from Argos.  I bought it to make custom made webbing straps and pouches.  At first I just wanted to replace the awful pouch my lovely Alpkit Splitta ultralight camping table came in, because it was bright high-viz orange, making it totally unsuitable for stealth camping.  So I bought some medium weight, water resistant, Polyester fabric in a dark olive green colour, perfect for stealth camping, then I bought the sewing machine to actually turn the fabric into a new pouch.  Took me a whole day to master the machine, then it was plane sailing.  I changed the design from the original pouch, which had a flap on one end held down with velcro, to one with a full width flap (for easier access), expanding sides (to increase the pouches volume (so it could carry other awkward-to-carry items, like my Qi-Wiz ultralight Titanium cathole trowel), webbing loops sewn on the back to allow it to attach securely to the top of the daisy chain on either side of my back pack, and the top flap is held down with two webbing straps which can be tightened down via ladderlock buckles...These also allow the front of the pouch to be cinched down tight,  to keep everything inside from rattling around when I walk.  Another bonus is that despite the webbing on it, it is actually 5g lighter than the original pouch!  I was so pleased with the result I made a new pouch for my Helinox Chair Zero out of the same fabric.  Before that, I was having to carry the Chair Zero in a Helinox Table One carry bag, which weighs a whopping 56g...The new pouch has a rolltop and the top can be cinched down via two quick release buckles, and the sides of the pouch can also be cinched down via the ladderlock buckle straps I made to hold the pouch vertically on the back of my backpack.  It only weighs just over 20g, at least half the weight of the Table One bag.   It is strapped onto one corner, and my tent poles are strapped vertically to the other corner, in the camo green tent pole bag that was supplied with my tent...This balances the weight evenly, frees up useful space in my backpack, allows me to keep the width of the pack as narrow as possible, so it can't snag on branches when walking through dense forest and it still allows me to have unhindered access the mesh side pockets and the big mesh pocket in the middle.  It has got me thinking of maybe going into business making ultralight custom rucksack/backpack accessory packs and pouches and selling them on sites like ebay or Amazon...Not sure if there is a big market for such items though.

I've spent an absolute fortune on material and bits and pieces to make bespoke kit.. failed far too often.  :-[
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

marmottungsten

« Reply #402 on: 12:37:31, 29/05/18 »

I've spent an absolute fortune on material and bits and pieces to make bespoke kit.. failed far too often.  :-[

Don't worry, maybe I could make some for you instead?   ;)

Troggy

« Reply #403 on: 12:57:21, 29/05/18 »
Meindl Boots... Yep Marmottungsden, they were off Ebay and 2nd hand. Luckily, the soles are in cracking condition and they fit me really well. The leather is bashed around at the toe end (think he's been working on a building site! But I've dubbined them and they've come up pretty good and the leather and memory foam is very comfortable. I took a chance though; but luckily enough for once it worked out. I saw the prices this morning and couldn't believe just how dear they are.

marmottungsten

« Reply #404 on: 13:17:06, 29/05/18 »
Meindl Boots... Yep Marmottungsden, they were off Ebay and 2nd hand. Luckily, the soles are in cracking condition and they fit me really well. The leather is bashed around at the toe end (think he's been working on a building site! But I've dubbined them and they've come up pretty good and the leather and memory foam is very comfortable. I took a chance though; but luckily enough for once it worked out. I saw the prices this morning and couldn't believe just how dear they are.

YUK!  I would never ever buy second hand shoes because the person who had them before might have had Athletes Foot!  Once you get that it is really hard to get rid of it, especially if it gets under your toenails, and it can lead to other fungal related diseases like trench foot. Hope this wont happen to you, but it might...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy