Author Topic: NDW  (Read 1426 times)

Tony3789

NDW
« on: 19:45:02, 28/03/21 »
Hi

I have been thinking about walking the North Downs way and wild camping on route. The trail is stated as 153 miles long. I was wondering if this included the loop at Canterbury and what the actual mileage would be if you walked directly between Farnham and Dover not including the loop section ?

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Re: NDW
« Reply #1 on: 23:07:49, 28/03/21 »
I live in Kent and know the Kent section very well, having walked all of it at one time or another and many bits many times.  :)

I believe that the distance from Farnham to Dover via Canterbury (northern route) is 133 miles, and 124 miles to Dover via Wye and Folkestone (southern route).

My personal view is that although the Canterbury route has much to offer, the southern route is quieter and more scenic.
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Tony3789

« Reply #2 on: 11:16:19, 29/03/21 »
Thanks I was wondering what way was the shortest and  what would be the most scenic. 
Looks like I will go for the southern route.

I will more than likely walk the Canterbury section on another occasion as I don’t stay too for from there.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:26:20, 29/03/21 »
A nice thing about the North Downs Way is that it's possible to just do the loop at the eastern end as a circuit of about 60 miles...
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:40:44, 29/03/21 »
Of course, if you fancy an alternative, and in my view, a better route, try the Greensand Way. Its starts from Hazelmere train station and runs roughly parallel to the NDW but south of the M25. I use www.gps-routes.co.uk and there are so many walks displayed, with free OS print-offs as well.

Tony3789

« Reply #5 on: 17:15:36, 29/03/21 »
A nice thing about the North Downs Way is that it's possible to just do the loop at the eastern end as a circuit of about 60 miles...

I might just do that to test out my kit before I go wondering a bit further. Sounds like a nice manageable distance.

Tony3789

« Reply #6 on: 17:17:09, 29/03/21 »
Of course, if you fancy an alternative, and in my view, a better route, try the Greensand Way. Its starts from Hazelmere train station and runs roughly parallel to the NDW but south of the M25. I use www.gps-routes.co.uk [nofollow] and there are so many walks displayed, with free OS print-offs as well.

I haven’t even heard of that route and it’s 20 minutes drive from my house. Thanks for the suggestion I will look into it. Sounds like I have plenty of options on my door step.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy