Author Topic: What tent to take?  (Read 1211 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
What tent to take?
« on: 17:25:18, 27/03/19 »
I'm sure I've read more than once that some people have a few tents indoors. I started to plan for the April 'meet' this weekend and for me, then onto Edinburgh. Which tent? Over the past few years I've managed to buy three! Which one will I take? All have their merits, my Wild Country Zephyros 1P, my Marmot Pulsar 1P or my Stratosphere Bivi. I don't think I'll take my Bivi, its great for stealth camping for a few days but in that part of the North of England and Southern Scotland for up to 12 days, no, I dont think so.

I tend to use my Zephyros in the colder months, the Marmot in the warmer months. Depending on the weather in April I might just stick with the Zephyros. If it looks like a heatwave I'll use the Marmot.

Does anyone else have tent dilemmas?

I have been looking and looking for a new tent but nothing really stands out. I've read every article and review known to man but I just can't see anything thats worth another outlay, so for now I'll just stick with what I've got.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
Re: What tent to take?
« Reply #1 on: 15:56:03, 28/03/19 »
Usually just pack whatever is lighter/packs smaller, which tends to be the MLD Trailstar.

Overall though with the strength of pyramid tents this is what I tend to like in most seasons, less of a hassle than the TS to set up and it's nice not having the risk of re-pitching if the wind changes in the night.  Also it can be nice to have an inner depending on where you're camping.

hongkongphooey

« Reply #2 on: 07:35:01, 29/03/19 »
I've got a Vaude Hogan that has done me proud on many a wild camp over the years, not the lightest but you can sit-up and swing a cat.......

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 07:58:06, 29/03/19 »
But you can sit-up and swing a cat.......

I think it's best if you keep your kinky habits to yourself! ;)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:09:45, 29/03/19 »
My dilemma is what to do with our old Wild Country Trisar tent that is sitting unused on the top shelf. A great tough little 2 man tent that served us well on a S-N trip across Wales, and for wild camping forays in Torridon, but now we have a dog, and it would be just too tight. Also, it is inner first pitching, and weighs in at a chunky 3.3kg. Maybe I'll use it for winter wild camps on my own, where I walk in, set up a good camp, and make daily forays into the hills.

I also have a Vango Force 10 Mark 2 (the sloping ridge type) in good condition that I will probably sell and a Saunders Jetpacker in excellent condition (a gift from someone whose walking days are sadly over) - I find it far too cramped.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:51:03, 30/03/19 »

..but for me, the choice is usually clear cut.

For family summer camping on organised sites - our giant Coleman 'Mosedale' 5 man tent, or the 'Mosedale Whale' as I like to call it. Takes 20 minutes or so to set up, but it provides us with a large midge free space to hole up in if the weather is poor and they are biting!

For 2-3 person 3 season camping I have a Coleman 'Phad 3' tent that I picked up on ebay for £40 - hardly used. Easy to pitch, big enough for 3 people + dog, large porch and light enough (just) to carry at 4kg.

For solo trips I have a StormShield 'Ultralight' 2 man tunnel tent purchased several years ago from Millets for £60 - not a common tent, but sturdy, dead easy to pitch, well designed with alloy poles and full midge netting door, and not too heavy at 2.2kg. Big enough (just) to get dressed in without performing contortions. I'm quite a fan of this tent, despite it being a bit on the heavy side for solo use.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:05:25, 31/03/19 »
For short trips where I won't be camping high, the Tarptent notch. For high camping or longer trips the Trekkertent Phreeranger. For car camping the Vango Halo 2. For cowboy camping the Survival aids Bivi bag, not that I do much of that these days.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy