Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 276214 times)

Ronin83

Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #585 on: 10:53:39, 13/08/18 »
On my way to sunny Spain.
Doing an evening mountain hike near madrid, sleep at the top without tent, get down in the morning before it gets too hot again.

Then heading to cantabria, stopping for a kayak trip in the morning. Think we're doing a coastal walk when we get there.

Few other things planned eg caves, but this is a walking group so I won't go on.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #586 on: 20:47:25, 14/08/18 »
I walked today along the Wey-South Path from Stopham Bridge to Amberley and from there followed the West Sussex Literary Trail for a while, and then branched off and walked through Wiggonholt Common and Pulborough Brooks to Pulborough. A scenic and varied walk, taking in Amberley Wild Brooks, heathy woodlands, and some pretty stretches of the River Arun.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #587 on: 14:01:42, 15/08/18 »
Did a tough walk yesterday with my group.  A scramble up Crowden Clough, then across the plateau to the downfall.
Followed the plateau edge to Kinder Low before heading down off Kinder. Up again over Mount Famine (then down), then up again over South Head.
We then dropped down into the valley, although swinging back round to Edale was anything but flat and easygoing!
Just over 14 miles with over 3,500ft ascent overall. No wonder my back hurts today! ::)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Murphy

« Reply #588 on: 08:13:03, 16/08/18 »
Just had 3 wet days walking  in Swaledale - camped at Usher Gap.  Love unspoiled Swaledale and so the wet weather didn't really impact on us.  Called at the Tan Hill which I have avoided for a while due to its decline, but as I had seen in Trail Magazine that it had new owners I thought I would give it a try again........What an improvement,  indeed new owners who have been in situ since June  are already making an impact in improving the old place which had gone into a downward spiral over the last few  years,  Already the pub is cleaner, the staff are pleasant, and work has been carried out on a new "function" room at the back.  Plans are afoot to build new bunk house and so on...........

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #589 on: 23:42:55, 16/08/18 »
Decent walk on Dartmoor after work today.   Got in plenty of climbing ready for the lakes. Branston loaf from the very bottom, not done that one before quite a slog. Then straight back down to Meldon and up High Willhays via Black tor .  O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #590 on: 10:21:52, 17/08/18 »
Decent walk on Dartmoor after work today.   Got in plenty of climbing ready for the lakes. Branston loaf from the very bottom, not done that one before quite a slog. Then straight back down to Meldon and up High Willhays via Black tor .  O0

I've had 2 goes at Dartmoor this week and each time the weather was down to the deck - how do you do it?
Solvitur Ambulando

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #591 on: 11:27:44, 17/08/18 »
Branston loaf from the very bottom, not done that one before quite a slog.  O0

Not come across that one before. Needs pickle?
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #592 on: 11:29:22, 17/08/18 »
Off to the Gower. Staying in Rhossili village hall bunkhouse.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #593 on: 12:52:03, 17/08/18 »

Not come across that one before. Needs pickle?

Spell checkers.  It should read Brascombe"s loaf. Approached from Sourton quary, it is straight up for over 1000ft and you can't actually see the top untill you get there.  The walking group may yet lynch me, after I take them up that route.  Hee hee.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #594 on: 13:34:04, 17/08/18 »

I've had 2 goes at Dartmoor this week and each time the weather was down to the deck - how do you do it?

Call me lucky. :) I didn't even check if the range was open.  Just threw everything into the car on Thursday morning and turned up after work.  Of course the one thing I had checked first, was the forecast.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #595 on: 14:11:01, 17/08/18 »

Call me lucky. :) I didn't even check if the range was open.  Just threw everything into the car on Thursday morning and turned up after work.  Of course the one thing I had checked first, was the forecast.
I checked the forecast too before I set off.  They said <5% chance of rain. Visibility VG. They was wrong!
Solvitur Ambulando

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #596 on: 14:40:39, 17/08/18 »

Spell checkers.  It should read Brascombe"s loaf. Approached from Sourton quary, it is straight up for over 1000ft and you can't actually see the top untill you get there.  The walking group may yet lynch me, after I take them up that route.  Hee hee.

Aah - that one - coincidentally the group I walk with are doing it next Wednesday when luckily(?) I shall be on the Gower

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #597 on: 09:39:15, 18/08/18 »
I checked the forecast too before I set off.  They said <5% chance of rain. Visibility VG. They was wrong!

We are heading to Cranmere Pool, via Cosdon Beacon, tommorrow.  I'm hoping they have the forecast wrong for that.  Better check  Silva is tucked away in my pack, just in case they got it right.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #598 on: 19:02:34, 22/08/18 »
I walked today through Sullington Warren, an area of woodland and lowland heath, and over the South Downs to Findon. A walk of contrasting landscapes, and with heather in flower on the heathland. On Sullington Hill, which is on the SDW, I encountered a large herd of cattle but got past them without incident.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #599 on: 19:37:11, 22/08/18 »

We are heading to Cranmere Pool, via Cosdon Beacon, tommorrow.  I'm hoping they have the forecast wrong for that.  Better check  Silva is tucked away in my pack, just in case they got it right.

So how did that go?  I looked at the forecast, rolled over and went back to sleep.  Did a Princeton/Burrator circular yesterday, Minehead to Porlock Weir tomorrow.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy