Author Topic: Best water proof hooped bivvy or one man tent for around 100 pounds  (Read 4659 times)

Foxxy79

Hi there everyone..I'm really hoping you could give me some experienced advice..I'm currently planning to walk the saint james northern route starting around the 10th of October and looking to wild camp most of the way and I'm rebuilding my kit up in preparation as I haven't been hiking and camping in a while..I would really appreciate any advice on which hooped bivvy bag or one man tent for around 100 pounds/euros would be best ..kind regards

Hi there , thanks for the advice , very much appreciated ..think I'm leaning towards a small one man tent rather than a bivvy now ..north of spain can get wet and if I've got to hunker down for a day I think I'd rather do it with a bit more space...has anyone had any experience with the vango nevis 100...?
« Last Edit: 15:50:52, 03/09/20 by Foxxy79 »

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Look at the Alpkit Elan hooped bivi, If it's anywhere near as good as their Hunka then it will be a popular choice for years to come.
Extremely waterproof and side entry to boot.
It's not been on the market very long. You tube May have done reviews.
Have fun.
Too little, too late, too bad......

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I have the Hunker and when my wife's friend fitted me a 4' long zip to it its usability shot up. I bought a hooped Snugpack Stratosphere previously but I just couldn't get on with it, for me it was the hooped area that was its weak point. I sold it!

The combination I prefer nowadays is a groundsheet, my mattress, the Hunker (my quilt inside) and my blow-up pillow. I also carry my Alpkit 3.5 Tarp and I always start my camp by first pegging out the tarp along one long side and then rolling it up into a 'tube.' This is just to be prepared if the weather changes in the night. If I'm confident its not going to rain I don't bother. My rucksack is just behind my head (with its waterproof cover over it) and if it does rain I just get up, pull the tarp over me, quickly erect it and then get back into my quilt. If I need to I can lower the tarp closer to my body whilst still in my quilt. My secret of my success are the strings. They are pre-measured with a loop at both ends, one for the pole, one for the tent peg. These loops are used when my tarp is at full height. Each string has a loop half way along as well. The half way loop (again for a peg) is used when I lower the tarp. So without getting up I can raise the tarp (I do have to wiggle about a bit) if the the weather improves and I want more head room.

I think if I wanted a low(ish) tent, kinda one-up from a tarp, I think I would buy a Robens Arrowhead, I saw one on line two days ago priced at £84 plus free postage.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
The Arrowhead looks like a tough little tent, was tempted myself.

I got a Lightwave tent for £129 - https://crux-outlet.online/product/t10-trek - perhaps a bit overkill for what you have in mind, and not the easiest tent to pitch. But it is very strong once pitched and is pretty roomy inside.

« Last Edit: 12:19:11, 03/09/20 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I've nearly bought the Arrowhead more than once but because I already own two tents I've always resisted the temptation. To me, it fills the gap between a bivvy and a tent very nicely and it's a good blend-in to the landscape colour as well I think. Mind you I write this as a person who is red/brown colour blind so I could be wrong? My Marmot tent is orange and I've always felt that when I use this one it lets people know where I am like a Belisha beacon!

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
I've got 2 bivvy bags; ex-Army Phoenix hooped (very old, works fine), and newer Alpkit Hunka (highly recommended but no hoop). Most of the time the hoop for the Phoenix bag doesnt get fitted.....

Peak

I have the Hunker and when my wife's friend fitted me a 4' long zip to it its usability shot up. I bought a hooped Snugpack Stratosphere previously but I just couldn't get on with it, for me it was the hooped area that was its weak point. I sold it!

The combination I prefer nowadays is a groundsheet, my mattress, the Hunker (my quilt inside) and my blow-up pillow. I also carry my Alpkit 3.5 Tarp and I always start my camp by first pegging out the tarp along one long side and then rolling it up into a 'tube.' This is just to be prepared if the weather changes in the night. If I'm confident its not going to rain I don't bother. My rucksack is just behind my head (with its waterproof cover over it) and if it does rain I just get up, pull the tarp over me, quickly erect it and then get back into my quilt. If I need to I can lower the tarp closer to my body whilst still in my quilt. My secret of my success are the strings. They are pre-measured with a loop at both ends, one for the pole, one for the tent peg. These loops are used when my tarp is at full height. Each string has a loop half way along as well. The half way loop (again for a peg) is used when I lower the tarp. So without getting up I can raise the tarp (I do have to wiggle about a bit) if the the weather improves and I want more head room.

I think if I wanted a low(ish) tent, kinda one-up from a tarp, I think I would buy a Robens Arrowhead, I saw one on line two days ago priced at £84 plus free postage.
Just found this post about your Hunka bivi and the fitting of a zip, great idea. Was it a waterproof zip or was a flap added to  keep the rain out ?. Will also will take on board your idea for the readiness of the tarp, I also have the Alpkit 3.5, great bit of kit.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: My Hunker. It is a waterproof zip and the lady who altered it for me also sewed and sealed a 2" strip along its length to cover the zip, just in case the waterproof zip isn't waterproof. Once done it made such a difference to an already good bit of kit. I also had a Stratosphere Bivvy with a hooped hood, I just could get on with it, I prefer (unless it's raining) for my head to be exposed to the open air. The Alpkit 3.5 is also an excellent item and it compliments my Hunker very well.

As regards one-man tents, I've had a Marmot Pulsar One for a number of years, its a bit careworn now and I have looked for a replacement but just cannot find one that matches it. I can get a lower weight of course and I can get a better colour (mine is orange) but in terms of internal space, almost vertical walls, a 12" length of sit up straight area and a 12" zipped area to leave things outside (like my Uriwell) on the non-door side, so have never found one. Sorry, not quite right, there seems to be a similar one on the Naturehike site but that tent is heavier than mine. I think the nearest I can get to my criteria list is an MSR model but it has less internal room. I'll keep looking but because of Covid-19, I'll wait until spring before I finally decide.

Peak

Thanks for the info. There's a seamstress just up the road from me so I will have to make enquiries about the cost of zip & fitting. I had been considering a bivi with zipper but had not thought of adapting the Hunka.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Like I said earlier the Alpkit Elan bivvy, which is hooped, has full side entry zip.

Don't know how much a zip plus correct thread and the weather proofing method you use will cost you, or even if labour is free. The Elan costs a bit less than 2x what a big Hunka will cost. So it could work out either way depending on your modification costs.

I read GWM original post on this and Mrs. Jimbob not only said No, but the face also said it. However she has made me a glorious sleep matt that fits folded into the water thingy part of my Exos, it is the DBs.

Too little, too late, too bad......

Peak

Looked at the Elan a few times, will probably end up buying one. I have 3 Hunka's and considering adding a zipper to one if not too costly.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
If you do get a zip fitted, one tip, which side do you want the zip? I nearly made the mistake of not thinking it through. I have a hiatus hernia and it really only helps if I spend most of my lying down time and sleeping time on my left side, it's all to do with the shape of the stomach and knowing that fluid in the stomach will always go to the lowest point in that space. I can only choose to roll over to my right side once any food or drink has been digested properly, so in practical terms, comfortable right-side sleeping happens for me sometime after 2.00 to 3.00 am. So for me, I needed the zip on the right side of the Hunka.

To ensure I made the right decision I lay my Hunker down on our carpet, stood at the feet end and so was able to make my decision.

Peak

Thanks for that, I've found a waterproof zipper on ebay and in the last hour remembered that my neighbour's mum used to be a seamstress for Alpkit, if she's willing to do it I'm sorted, how lucky is that.

Peak

Thought I would just add that I live about 15 minutes drive away from Alpkit HQ, very handy.

RAVE

Hi there everyone..I'm really hoping you could give me some experienced advice..I'm currently planning to walk the saint james northern route starting around the 10th of October and looking to wild camp most of the way and I'm rebuilding my kit up in preparation as I haven't been hiking and camping in a while..I would really appreciate any advice on which hooped bivvy bag or one man tent for around 100 pounds/euros would be best ..kind regards

Hi there , thanks for the advice , very much appreciated ..think I'm leaning towards a small one man tent rather than a bivvy now ..north of spain can get wet and if I've got to hunker down for a day I think I'd rather do it with a bit more space...has anyone had any experience with the vango nevis 100...?
WELCOME FROM RAVE :/
He was both everything I could ever want…
And nothing I could ever have…

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy