Author Topic: Advide please - lightweight summer breathable waterproof  (Read 4540 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Advide please - lightweight summer breathable waterproof
« Reply #15 on: 08:15:57, 25/01/19 »
The Berghaus Hyper 100 is extremely light and breathable. Probably the best of its type.

Very interesting - but I can find very few customer reviews. This one is a bit worrying -

"It could be good jacket, however the zipper leaks because it is not waterproof."
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Pitboot

« Reply #16 on: 15:33:11, 25/01/19 »
Don't see many umbrellas up here in Orkney!  :)

Don't they end up in Bergen?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:09:55, 25/01/19 »

Don't they end up in Bergen?

;D something like that!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Pitboot

« Reply #18 on: 20:30:46, 26/01/19 »
https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/images/products/thumbnails/1528281998-05727000.jpg

I can recommend this jacket.  
Outdoor Research Foray, from Ultralight Outdoor Gear, on offer at the moment.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 20:53:17, 26/01/19 »
I sometimes take an umbrella, it can be a good decision when it rains and there's no wind, I even use it when its hot and sunny, great for my bald patch. Sometimes when its really hot I just don't want to wear my hat!
Nicolas Crane always walked with an Umbrella..loved his Walks around Britain.https://yesterday.uktv.co.uk/coast/article/nicolas-crane-interview/
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 14:45:47, 27/01/19 »

Very interesting - but I can find very few customer reviews. This one is a bit worrying -

"It could be good jacket, however the zipper leaks because it is not waterproof."
Yeah I saw that too. But then there are a number of reviews from gear sites that say they used it in heavy weather and found it completely waterproof and outstandingly breathable. You'd have thought that if the zip leaked, they'd have mentioned it. Or maybe not given the poor quality of so many review sites?
Looking at the design it seems to have a non-waterproof zip with a flap behind it, like Paramo do it. Maybe if you're walking into horizontal storm-force rain it eventually seeps in. But then is it really designed for serious conditions, or rather as a summer or just-in-case waterproof.
If it wasn't so damned expensive I'd like one to keep in my pack.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 16:47:02, 27/01/19 »
I certainly wouldn’t use an umbrella in the weather we have had today. I would probably have ended up in Norway. I don’t think umbrellas are much use in Scotland.

Ronin83

« Reply #22 on: 18:23:07, 27/01/19 »
A poncho?
Light and open wide at the bottom so breathes well.

Lightweight, 6 hours of heavy rain proof, tough(for rucksack straps) and highly breathable? These things simply don't come together

scottk

« Reply #23 on: 20:07:45, 18/02/19 »
I have a mountain equipment impellor which is seriously light with a slight stretch made of gore tex active. Very minimalist and cut slim and short. Pretty sure it won't be hard wearing but perfect for what I want. Spends most of its life in my sack, lightweight, breathable and can do double duty as a windproof.
Just be aware of whatever you buy. The impellor has no hood, wrist or waist adjustment just stretch and only has a tiny chest pocket.
Don't scramble, climb or use it in winter! I use mine with a rucksack but minimal use.

Davidedgarjones

« Reply #24 on: 20:04:21, 22/02/19 »
You could have a look at one of the lighter weight ME jackets. I have an Odyssey made from Drilite fabric.Dave

AFANASIEW

« Reply #25 on: 10:03:16, 24/02/19 »
Thanks for all the advice. The Berghaus Hyper 100 certainly looks interesting for the weight saving aspect, but I'm also looking at the REI Drypoint GTX, which I'd have to get shipped from the US. At just over 10oz it's heavier, but better for pockets and more likely to last 2½ months of LEJOG.
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 10:54:21, 24/02/19 »
I'm in the market for a single skin waterproof jacket but only because, at the moment I can't find an alternative idea. I've looked at the Berghaus Hyper 100 but would not be prepared to pay that sort of money, especially when I know I could buy myself another Marmot Precip for way less than £100. When compared against each other, what has the Breghaus got thats worth a £150 more???

I personally have lost faith in the idea of buying another full layered waterproof, mine is a Paramo Alta 2, for me too heavy, too bulky and often in the summer months it just makes me too hot and sticky. Its OK in the winter but thats all.

Obviously I want to be dry, so I now use either my Vaude Poncho or Marmot Precip or just take both with me. From experience I know that nothing is perfect, the inside of my poncho for example can become wet on the inside with moisture if I have to exert myself (i.e. going uphill) when its raining at the same time.

I've often thought of the limitations of the poncho concept, why for example do I really need a big space at the back to cover my rucksack when my ordinary waterproof rucksack cover works well anyway? Why are poncho's made to throwover? I saw one in St Jean Pied du Port, France last year which unbuttoned down the front, seemed a very sensible design to me. Maybe what I really need is just a long waterproof, lightweight mac (like in western films) which buttons or unzips down the front, without the rucksack 'pouch' at the back. Does such a product even exist?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Too little, too late, too bad......

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 12:28:43, 24/02/19 »
Could be? My last sentence was incorrect, too simplistic.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #29 on: 15:07:11, 24/02/19 »
I used a poncho when doing the Pennine Way in 2015. It was inadequate for a foul day over Ickornshaw Moor, when everything got wet except the contents of my rucksack, and you wouldn't want to wear one for clambering, e.g. up the side of Cauldron Snout in the rain. Need something more effective and more adaptable.
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy