Author Topic: Anyone still on Windows 7?  (Read 5194 times)

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
Re: Anyone still on Windows 7?
« Reply #60 on: 21:55:42, 21/02/20 »
Or just rm -rf customer_personal_data

I worked for a large retail/hospitality group 20 years ago.  Found out all the payment transaction were being transmitted as plain text.  That did not go down well.
Just before that, I worked for a plastics company.  They had DEC system.  The stock control system was written in BASIC.
The deliveries never matched up with my Excel spreadsheet.  A bit of poking about and I found that if the delivery was for say 200 components, but 240 actually got sent, because that made full pallet loads, the extra 40 never got invoiced.
Now this company made mile of extruded light fittings per year.  So over the ten years or so they had been using this systems, they delivered a few million quids worth they never got paid for.  I brought this to the attention of the IT manager who sorted it.
Within a month I was sacked.
« Last Edit: 07:02:26, 22/02/20 by SteamTea »
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #61 on: 22:29:05, 21/02/20 »
We had a user that managed to send an email to every email address on the entire network, which was several thousand users across the country.  It was accompanied by a delivery and read receipt.  It had much the same effect - complete denial of service.  Everything came to a shuddering halt  and it took several days to sort it all out.  I had a very uncomfortable interview with a senior grown up.  I was not invited to sit down or remove my hat and they forgot the tea and biccies .  Apparently it was all my fault even though I had no hand in actually operating the system.  I was just the go between.  "We didn't know you could, let alone that anyone would be so daft as to try" did not go down well as an excuse.
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #62 on: 09:14:15, 24/02/20 »
Long story, I'll try and keep it short. My Windows Phone (yes, I know...) came with a few MS apps preinstalled, one of which is OneDrive that I found handy for keeping files on the phone. Simply copy what I wanted into OneDrive on a computer and it miraculously appeared in OneDrive on the phone.

But I abandoned OneDrive when one day away on a trip I had no wifi and I discovered I couldn't see any of my files on the phone. My preferred method then became connecting the phone to a computer with a cable and copying the files I wanted onto the SD card.

Last night I was fiddling about with my phone, as one does, when I looked in Office, another of the preinstalled apps that I don't use, where I discovered a great long list of every file that I had ever put in OneDrive, four years-worth of them. I couldn't believe it!

Soon tiring of deleting the files from the phone one by one, it occurred to me to look on my laptop. Opening the Office app on that (it's not used there either, I prefer LibreOffice), not only were all the unwanted files there, they were triplicated, in Office, OneDrive and even OneNote. I was mortified. How dare they hang on to all this stuff that I no longer wanted and never knew was there!

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #63 on: 23:02:54, 24/02/20 »
On a PC OneDrive keeps a local copy of files and then synchronises these with the online version. I assume it will work the same way on a Windows phone, but don’t have one to check this out on.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #64 on: 09:05:51, 25/02/20 »
Well it won't any more, I've disabled it  >:D

Incidentally, I've just borrowed Windows 10 The Missing Manual from a library, in which it says you can use Windows 10 on "PCs, tablets and even Windows phones which you might still be able to find at garage sales."  :-[

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy