Author Topic: Friendly UK animals encountered whilst out walking.  (Read 2438 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: Friendly UK animals encountered whilst out walking.
« Reply #15 on: 22:54:28, 01/06/20 »
Here is the Grandaddy .

No arguments there.

Here is the young wanabe.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 09:24:53, 02/06/20 »
Seeing those bulls reminds me of the Not The Nine 'o' Clock News sketch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhstRrZzaso
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Toxicbunny

« Reply #17 on: 11:33:08, 02/06/20 »
I never trust cows they may look cute but they run fast. My local walk I have to go through a field of them. Depending on where they are I will cross. Big mama as I call her has a calf. Highland cows are supposedly friendly however like the dairy farmer told me never turn your back on one.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 11:43:07, 02/06/20 »
We have Highland Cattle roaming loose on Exmoor.  Lovely things. 
I did have an argument once with a mother an calf about the ownership of a narrow footpath.  I pushed her a fair way before she finally agreed to step into the heather and let me through.
Solvitur Ambulando

Toxicbunny

« Reply #19 on: 11:57:25, 02/06/20 »
Big mama above likes to give chase. Shes obviously protecting her calf. However I have no intention of ending up on the end of that horn. They are beautiful to look at but noisy. I get woken up at 4am from the mooing and it's too hot to close my windows at night the moment.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 12:03:35, 02/06/20 »
Big mama above likes to give chase. Shes obviously protecting her calf. However I have no intention of ending up on the end of that horn. They are beautiful to look at but noisy. I get woken up at 4am from the mooing and it's too hot to close my windows at night the moment.
I always feel sorry for them when the time comes that their calves are taken away and they spend ages calling for them.  That is often not a good time to be in a field with them as they can be quite cranky.
Solvitur Ambulando

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 17:04:23, 02/06/20 »

Here is the young wanabe.

Nice isolation of this friendly looking calf . Is that taken with your new camera . ?
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 00:17:03, 03/06/20 »
Nice isolation of this friendly looking calf . Is that taken with your new camera . ?
Thanks, yes the TZ 200. It's usually pretty obvious which have been taken on my old Phone and which are taken with the camera.  It was just a point and click shot. All I had to do was see the opportunity.  I have set it up so that I can adjust every thing manually, but I only do that if I can't get a decent snap in fully automatic mode.  For a tiny pocket camera it packs a punch. :)
« Last Edit: 00:28:29, 03/06/20 by BuzyG »

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 10:05:09, 03/06/20 »
Thanks, yes the TZ 200. It's usually pretty obvious which have been taken on my old Phone and which are taken with the camera.  It was just a point and click shot. All I had to do was see the opportunity.  I have set it up so that I can adjust every thing manually, but I only do that if I can't get a decent snap in fully automatic mode.  For a tiny pocket camera it packs a punch. :)
Oh wow , if it is the one I just read about it has the 24-360 mm lens..I want one !  O0

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 12:00:11, 03/06/20 »
Oh wow , if it is the one I just read about it has the 24-360 mm lens..I want one !  O0

Sounds like you found the one. 

I love it. it's my third digital camera and finally I have found one that fits in my jacket pocket and takes decent quality pictures.  My days of lugging several lenses around in a dedicated camera bag are long gone.  Unless you actually need professional quality, then these latest pocket cameras finally provide an image that is IMHO, good enough for personal use. It even shoots RAW.  :) 

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 15:18:30, 03/06/20 »
Sounds like you found the one. 

I love it. it's my third digital camera and finally I have found one that fits in my jacket pocket and takes decent quality pictures.  My days of lugging several lenses around in a dedicated camera bag are long gone.  Unless you actually need professional quality, then these latest pocket cameras finally provide an image that is IMHO, good enough for personal use. It even shoots RAW.  :)
I have been through all that too , with carrying lenses and camera bodies . It all became too much of a chore , and it started to become the choice between either a good walk or getting out to take photos & I like to do both . I have a small Olympus which is light enough to do that . But I am impressed with the zoom range on your Panasonic , along with the quality of the pics too. !  :)
ps. If I buy one online after downing a few beers can I tell my wife it is your fault.  ???

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 21:56:13, 03/06/20 »
Just took delivery of a Fujifilm XP140.
It is waterproof and rugged, seems to have a half decent zoom that is within the body, so no sticky out bits.
No RAW though, but it is a cheap point and shoot, almost.  It has way too many setting, but does transfer files wirelessly, which is useful for uploading.  Uses the phones GPS, so only as good as the phone there.
Can't comment on quality yet as not printed anything out.
Couple of pictures, one macro, one zoom.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 08:06:02, 04/06/20 »
Love the bumble Bee. O0

MrsG and I have also spent many an hour trotting around the streets of Penzance whilst our son was competing at the County Blocks, happy memories. :)

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 12:20:28, 04/06/20 »
Many of Mrs BWW and my walk experiences would have been very poorer without a friendly interaction with farm livestock, at the same time the threat of aggressive animals has risen ever since the 1960's. The growth of the single suckler herds and the steady increase of imported breeds has not interacted well with growth of leisure walking. Even in the photos shown there are some interesting anomalies, if you google the breed type with an aggression tag. I always thought that the Charolais was mild tempered,

This not so little one was happy to pose for pictures on our walk near Meldon Quary.

even comparable with the English beef breeds on which the outdated protocols are based on.
It is clear from a recent article in the British Farmer that much of the thinking in animal safety is tangled with the access issue. I think BusyG has put an interesting slant on this debate, one which the occupiers of the countryside really should take a more serious.

Our seeing meat on the hoof reinforces the alternative that no meat on the plate means no domestic livestock in the countryside.

Farmers should be proud to allow visitors to walk among'st there animals, thus take reasonable trouble to do risk assessments that shows awareness of a knowledge of the individuals within there flocks and herds.

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 15:42:12, 04/06/20 »
Farming mate of mine had Charolais for a brief time.  He hated them, too nasty to look after.
He went for a farm full of sucklers and rare breeds.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy