Author Topic: Next year  (Read 2079 times)

dank86

Next year
« on: 21:33:57, 16/06/19 »
Still got trips to do this year and all ready starting to plan for next year.

Ive got a friend that want to do west highland way which will be great but im thinking of adding the great glen way on to it as well, anyone here done this addition?

Itll make a nice 165 mile ish walk

harland

• Veteran Member
Re: Next year
« Reply #1 on: 21:47:28, 16/06/19 »
Yes, I did them both in 2008.  I like to do one long walk a year, normally 200+ miles,  so I combined them and took a day off in Fort William intending to walk up Ben Nevis.  However it was covered in cloud and as I had walked it before with my kids I spent the day in and around Fort William instead.  I did enjoy them but not as much as many people who rave about the WHW.

dank86

« Reply #2 on: 21:58:29, 16/06/19 »
We are probably going to take a 'rest' day in fort william too. Ive not done Ben Nevis so would like to do that while im there.

We both enjoy a good walk and think doing both would be good also it benefits us transportwise lol

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:48:34, 18/06/19 »
We walked the WHW right at the start of the season several years ago. Very busy and all b&b's booked out that week as everyone seemed to be on the same schedule, probably available more if starting a day later.I found the route unchallenging, a stroll really. There was a lot of 'track' walking which was quite boring in places, saved only by the scenery.I did finish it with a walk from Kinlochleven, hiding some gear in the forest in Glen Nevis, then up and down the Ben, before meeting up with my companion (He didn't want to do the Ben) and walking into Fort William.Many people who enjoyed the WHW,say they were disappointed with the Great Glen Way extention.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:37:49, 18/06/19 »
I agree that the WHW is more of a stroll rather than a challenge but I did enjoy it though. I also enjoyed the rail journey back to Glasgow.

mow1701

« Reply #5 on: 22:13:46, 19/06/19 »
Have been planning out the Cambrian Way for next year as a new project. However I do hear the calling of an old friend the Cape Wrath Trail or my other all time favourite the Pennine Way. It’s like being a kid in a sweet shop with the choices we have in Blighty.

However if I win the lottery I’d love to do the Pacific Crest Trail as I’m sure like a lot of you I’m watching Liverpool Hikers/Mary Mansfield on YouTube. It looks fantastic

dank86

« Reply #6 on: 22:17:56, 19/06/19 »
If I won the lottery I'd be doing the Patagonia trail of parks for sure

WILDWALKINGUK

« Reply #7 on: 10:55:15, 14/09/19 »
Hello

I've walked the West Highland Way and Great Glen Way in April this year, as part of my LEJOG and 3 Peaks walk. I enjoyed both, I recommend the high level route, part of the Great Glen Way, really good views over Loch Ness.
I have a blog on the possible additions here: https://wildwalkinguk.com/2019/06/15/possible-additions-to-the-west-highland-way/     
You could add to the start of the WHW with a nice river side walk, following the Clyde Walkway into Glasgow and then a link path to Milngavie. The Kelvin Walkway.

All good walks.
Enjoy
Mark

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy