Author Topic: Your Extreme Cold Weather Gear List?  (Read 2124 times)

Litehiker

Your Extreme Cold Weather Gear List?
« on: 04:27:40, 08/11/19 »
What gear do you have for camping/travelling in extremely cold  as in -20 F. to -30 F. (-34.4 C.)?

MY EXTREME COLD WEATHER GEAR LIST:
(apologies for US brand name gear but I'm 'Merican)
1. Sorel felt pac boots -> with 3 mm neoprene divers' socks and thin poly liner socks
2. GTX Thinsulate insulated alpine ski pants ->worn over polar weight polyester base layer
3. Eddie Bauer PEAK XV down parka -> rated to -30 F. worn over base layer top W/ zip T neck and heavy Norwegian sweater
4. OR GTX mitten shells W/Dachstein boiled wool liners -> This combo has kept me nicely warm in -40 F./C. weather
5. Duluth Trading arctic "baseball cap" -> quilted synthetic insulated crown, rabbit fur ear/neck flaps
6. Eddie Bauer -20 F. down sleeping bag -> on an REI FLASH Insulated All Season air mattress with Ridgerest pad beneath
7. SERIUS thin fleece balaclava -> a must for sleeping and for bitterly windy days
8. ski goggles -> final face/eye protection piece
9. thin Windstopper fleece gloves -> when finger dexterity is needed

I use either a Tarptent Moment DW solo tent or 2 person Tarptent Scarp 2. Both are "winterized" with custom under-the-fly crossing poles and prepared guy lines with attachment snaps and sliding tensioners.

Eric B.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Your Extreme Cold Weather Gear List?
« Reply #1 on: 10:46:08, 08/11/19 »
I admit that I've been cold, a few times I've been very cold but I don't personally believe that I have ever experienced extreme cold, so all of my clothing is purchased on the basis of 'medium' cold. I'm very interested in your list though and will look them up, perhaps will also buy?

The nearest I can come to the idea of 'extreme cold' in this country was in the 60s, I remember that era as VERY cold! I remember snow drifts against our back door almost as high as our house and the snow/ice persisted for weeks on end. Not any longer though, since then I'm sure that global warming has shaped our weather, except for the odd occasion, to be a lot milder and wetter. For example, in the last 30 years, to my memory, where I live, we have experience snowfalls twice only and not very much of it either.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:54:34, 08/11/19 »
Firstly I'll preface this by saying British conditions generally don't get that cold but Scotland can definitely have -20C and below winters.  That said, as an ex long time Nordics resident with a fair bit of experience of cold temps I'll try to share some advice.  Firstly, I'm not sure what your experience is like so forgive me if some of this is stating the obvious.  Overall, camping at -30C really isn't much fun (in my opinion I'd rather go cabin to cabin) and is more about how you prepare and make sure you don't make many mistakes (losing gloves, for example, or 'personal care' mishaps) so make sure you've got your skills dialed in as well as your equipment.    I'd always try to get a fire going as there is only so much your sleep system can do to stop you losing warmth, so prefer having an axe with me to split firewood which has pretty much replaced my laplander.  I'd also calmly but seriously take a look at your insulation to the ground and figure out whether this needs to be beefed up or whether your intention is to use a portable tent stove/similar. Foot care is also paramount and I'd recommend bringing a couple of heat packs in case you get cold feet, there is very little you can do to actually warm them up once they become numb/damp otherwise, and changing socks due to perspiration should be a part of your day you never skip.

As for specific gear pieces, I'm a fan of mesh base layers as they avoid the clammy 'end of day' feeling which rapidly turns to feeling chilly.  Montane Extreme salopettes are excellent (in high wind especially) but fairly useless for UK conditions unless you're ice climbing and stationary a lot, and although the Montane Extreme smock is a solid top piece, for -30 I'd want my North Face McMurdo with me instead.  Boots I was told a couple of years back that Salomon Toundra Pros were the way to go for snow trips and they were right, they're fine to snow-shoe in but wouldn't fit a crampon with much comfort, however they are a lot better at walking in than insulated mountaineering boots which cause me significant foot fatigue.  Gloves wise, I struggle keeping my hands warm in most conditions so I usually take an extra pair regardless of the season.  For deep winter a full primaloft liner glove under hestra army insulated mittens works for me - and a set of oversized dachsteins in my pack in case I need to layer them together.  Down booties for night time are something I once scoffed at but definitely proved useful in the past when I stupidly let my socks wet out. 

The Scarp 2 is a solid all rounder, personally I like the Hilleberg Soulo and HMG Ultamid for winter use but I find winter gear very personal - depends on what you intend to do in the outdoors, how active you're going to be (pulled on a sled, high effort mountaineering, snow shoeing, etc)  and also perhaps obviously your gear needs depend a lot on your circulation and metabolic rate.  Some people carry more natural insulation whereas others pump out heat like a furnace regardless of the season.  Also, importantly, it really isn't worth the investment unless you're serious about going out in all sorts of weather and doing it fairly often as well as have the constitution to put it all in a pack and lug it about.

Are there any specific objectives you're looking to do?

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:11:05, 08/11/19 »
The nearest I can come to the idea of 'extreme cold' in this country was in the 60s, I remember that era as VERY cold! I remember snow drifts against our back door almost as high as our house and the snow/ice persisted for weeks on end. .
Pillion on the back of a Vincent 1000 combination January 1963, that was cold, was'nt even away of the existnce of duffet jackets till a year later, when I bought on in Chamonix.
Snug as bug in rug in Bill's Barn, in Black's Polar Sleeping bag though.
Ex army crampons, with webbing, impossible to adjust with any form of gloves. Deprived youth, no luck to be there :)
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:23:49, 08/11/19 »
1- Buffalo Super 6 Pertex Pile shirt
2- Lowe Alpine Peaked Waterproof Hat
3- Sealkins Fully waterproof Gloves
4- Heavy duty Scarpa Winter boots

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:06:10, 08/11/19 »
Log fire. Cannot beat a log fire, in the pub with a room full of mates. Hot broth dinner with an apres of beer and a hot toddy to finish

Too little, too late, too bad......

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:13:39, 08/11/19 »
Not been anywhere quite that cold for a while. Leggings are fleece I've a Rab pair and a cheep unbranded pair, not much difference between them. Trousers either gore-tex ski pants with mesh lining or Hagluf rugged pants. Tops long sleeved base layer, caplene shirt, 100 weight fleece top and gore-tex jacket with a Rab Andian down jacket to hand whenever I stop. Fleece beany hat and mountain cap with fleece balaclava and neprene facemask always handy in a pocket. Thin fleece gloves and dachstein mitts with a waterproof over mitt, I also have a pair of mountain equipment fleece lined mitts. Boots could be Salomon Nordic ski or Scarpa Alpine ski or Scarpa mountaineering boots with yeti insulated gaiters. Socks bridgedale ski socks.

My sleeping bag is a costom made down one with no zips, had a bad experience with a failed zip + Rab down booties.

Glacier glasses with the side covers or ski goggles all the time.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:34:36, 08/11/19 »
Log fire. Cannot beat a log fire, in the pub with a room full of mates. Hot broth dinner with an apres of beer and a hot toddy to finish

Have to agree with you. In the bleak mid-winter it's awfully dark for so much of the time, doesn't make camping attractive.  Spring in the north is a much better time.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:38:56, 08/11/19 »
Just before last winter I bought a pair of Craghopper winter-lined trousers. I wore them once and found them too warm. I also bought a pair of Icebreaker leggings, which I wore once and found too warm. We don't really get much in the way of extreme cold weather in the UK.
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:55:26, 08/11/19 »
I think I'd just find a nice hot-blooded male to snuggle up to if it was that cold  :D   ;)

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 14:27:17, 08/11/19 »
I think I'd just find a nice hot-blooded male to snuggle up to if it was that cold  :D   ;)

We do have our uses.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:43:18, 08/11/19 »
Careful! They are attracted to light.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 14:50:04, 08/11/19 »
 ;D 

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 14:51:09, 08/11/19 »
Pillion on the back of a Vincent 1000 combination January 1963, that was cold, was'nt even away of the existnce of duffet jackets till a year later, when I bought on in Chamonix.

Brings back memories of riding a BSA C15. We were working 60 mile from home and the other work mates were staying the week there to save all the hassle of travel every day. I made the mistake of commuting on my BSA. It must have been one of the coldest weeks on record.
Thick leather gloves, thick over trousers and and a leather jacket that must have weighed 6 kilos....Every 10 mile I had to get off and warm my hands on the oil tank...after five mile I was stiff as a board. The faster you go the colder you get.. :o
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 14:53:00, 08/11/19 »
Careful! They are attracted to light.
Like moths to one of those gadgets in the butchers.......ZZzzaapp :o
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy