Author Topic: How hard is Snowdon?  (Read 84815 times)

Murphy

Re: How hard is Snowdon?
« Reply #90 on: 20:48:24, 03/05/18 »
I was there 2 weeks ago. The buses were running very frequently and so were service buses including double deckers. They were really busy.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #91 on: 22:08:53, 03/05/18 »

The Sherpa bus service will not swing into operation until the visitor numbers increase to justify running the service.

I recon Bank holiday weekend, will see the service up and running.

the Sherpa service runs throughout the year.

(though I think the service is reduced between November and March)
« Last Edit: 22:11:55, 03/05/18 by Glyno »

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #92 on: 21:51:03, 04/05/18 »
I think it will be starting in the next week or two...

It was running when I was there a couple of weeks ago. The Gwynedd Council website says the service runs from 23 March 2018 until 4 November 2018.
Skip

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #93 on: 08:31:31, 05/05/18 »

the Sherpa service runs throughout the year.

(though I think the service is reduced between November and March)
Glyno is right it runs all year round as I use it regularly including winter they have a better service during the summer

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #94 on: 09:06:37, 05/05/18 »

Surfer99

« Reply #95 on: 09:44:10, 05/05/18 »
Thanks for all the info folks.

Based on the forecast and Dyffrynn’s experiance earlier I decided to play it safe and postpone for another, disappointing as we where both looking forward to and more so as the following day, the day we were supposed to go the forecast improved. So we went to the kinder in the Peak District instead, did a circular route from edale over to Jacobs ladder back along the top to grindsbrook clough and decended back to edale, a great day and in the last hour it was getting really hot as the sun broke out.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #96 on: 23:24:13, 13/05/18 »
So we ended up walking up Snowdon on Bank Holiday Monday even though we never planned on doing it at such a busy time!  :)  But it was thoroughly enjoyable and worthwhile.
Forecast for Tuesday and Wednesday wasn’t good and pretty sure we wouldn’t have seen anything on either day plus it would have been wet, windy and cold. Thursday may have been ok but as it was our last day we weren’t going to risk waiting. So it was up there with the crowds on a glorious sunny day - though not too crowded to start as we did as planned up Rhyd-ddu and down Snowdon Ranger, both of which were fairly quiet for a BH. It was only at the top that we encountered crowds of people, though I can imagine it got much busier later,  as we arrived at the summit at 11.15 and we could see the line of “ants” heading up the Pyg and Miners paths. Can highly recommend the Rhyd-ddu path, great views across to the summit and the scramble near the top is easily manageable. In fact I think our “practice” walk the day before (Moel Hebog, Yr Ogof and Lefen) was more challenging, so in hindsight not the best preparation as my legs were really feeling it! We even parked for free, as we arrived at the Rhyd-ddu station car park about 8am (it was probably less than a quarter full then), a couple of people had just arrived back from seeing the sunrise and gave us their ticket. As someone mentioned, the path back from the ranger path is pretty boggy; not always visible either though we could mostly see the marker posts, but in mist would be quite tricky. We didn’t see anyone in flipflops but lots in trainers and carrying barely anything. Not sure what they were drinking but by the time we got back I was nearly through all my 2 litres ( I’d also taken an emergency bottle as it was hot). I did notice that we seemed to have the largest rucksacks! We still carried all that we would usually carry for a day in the mountains, obviously everyone else “knew” the weather was going to be great all day! Other observations - a lot of dogs, which is fine if they’re used to it but some looked even less fit than their humans (and the dogs didn’t have a choice,) and why do people need to have music playing for all to hear while they are walking? You can tell we’re not used to walking amongst casual walkers/tourists!

Can highly recommend the cottages at Perthi Farm in Beddgelert where we stayed. ( we survived the drive along the farm track fernman!) And we had good meals at the Saracens Head and Tanronnen Inn.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #97 on: 07:49:17, 14/05/18 »
I forgot to thank forum members for their tips, always helpful, so thanks  :)

GnP

• Veteran Member
Routes for Snowdon with 10 year old...
« Reply #98 on: 09:20:37, 24/03/19 »
Im looking at walking up the Pyg track/Snowdon & returning via the Miners track at Easter. It would be with a 10 year old child & two other adults (women).Is anyone familiar with the Pyg Track.? I have walked up Snowdon via this route a couple of times but many years ago and seem to remember there is one spot (maybe 2/3 way up ...could be wrong about where). Anyway I think that there is a part that has a ledge to walk sideways along facing a cliff area, with a drop behind.?

As I say I may be wrong but if there is I have to consider the child who can be a tad nervous but not overly. She is fine when not concentrating so that in itself has to be considered if you know what I mean....She has walked the horseshoe.. Corn Du, Pen Y Fan, & Crybin with a few complaints but did ultimately enjoy that.

Or is there another route (s) that would enable us to park a car and return to the same spot, that would be a challenge but not scary. :D We do not want to use a shuttle bus though. A quiet (ish) route would be ok, if there is such a thing at Easter. ??? Hope that wasn`t a ramble.
« Last Edit: 09:23:55, 24/03/19 by GinAndPlatonic »
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

dank86

Re: Routes for Snowdon with 10 year old...
« Reply #99 on: 09:40:14, 24/03/19 »

I went at Easter at went up rangers and down Rhyd ddu, and it was lovely and quiet! It was nice to see a different side of a mountain I know pretty well.

Pyg up miners down is a classic and should cause many issues, I think the part you are referring to is the zig zags where it goes up fairly steep but should be fine for a 10 year old

GnP

• Veteran Member
Re: Routes for Snowdon with 10 year old...
« Reply #100 on: 09:50:47, 24/03/19 »
I went at Easter at went up rangers and down Rhyd ddu, and it was lovely and quiet! It was nice to see a different side of a mountain I know pretty well.

Pyg up miners down is a classic and should cause many issues, I think the part you are referring to is the zig zags where it goes up fairly steep but should be fine for a 10 year old
Thanks ! O0

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #101 on: 10:23:05, 24/03/19 »
https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/route/517728/Trail-Magazine-The-Snowdon-Horseshoe
I have found this route. The section that goes along the south east side of Snowdon, over Y Lliwedd doesnt have a "green" route on the OS maps but there is a footpath..I`m wondering what that route is like..

dank86

« Reply #102 on: 10:25:22, 24/03/19 »
Depending on the group crib goch will possibly be a no go, it's very exposed and you will need your hands a lot. Tbf though it's one of my favourite routes, but id only take confident people on that route.

Over y lliwedd isn't to bad there is a path there and if you don't want the exposure you can come away from the cliff edge

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #103 on: 10:31:39, 24/03/19 »
Depending on the group crib goch will possibly be a no go, it's very exposed and you will need your hands a lot. Tbf though it's one of my favourite routes, but id only take confident people on that route.

Over y lliwedd isn't to bad there is a path there and if you don't want the exposure you can come away from the cliff edge
Yes I think Crib Goch is out for us :o but that Y lliwedd looks interesting & the total distance is very doable, of course taking into account ascent etc.

dank86

« Reply #104 on: 10:35:03, 24/03/19 »
I'd happily take people that route, just beware coming off the summit of Snowdon follow the path down to a sign for the Watkin path and follow the Watkin path for a bit. I've seen people trying to follow the path on a map and getting in to some difficulty

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy