Author Topic: Where are folks walking this weekend?  (Read 573319 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are folks walking this weekend?
« Reply #2520 on: 16:19:03, 01/12/18 »
No walking this weekend, our village charity is putting on its annual panto tonight.  I get to play the King in Cinderella this time.  Last year I was the King in Snow White - its the only outfit I've got.  Just been putting the chairs out in the village hall and now feeling distinctly nervous - its a sell out and that's an awful lot of chairs.  I'll need a decent walk next week to get over it.
Solvitur Ambulando

AFANASIEW

« Reply #2521 on: 18:34:20, 02/12/18 »
I get to play the King in Cinderella this time.  Last year I was the King in Snow White...
With a bit of wild camping you might get to play Queen next year!
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2522 on: 19:19:14, 02/12/18 »
No walking this weekend, our village charity is putting on its annual panto tonight.  I get to play the King in Cinderella this time.  Last year I was the King in Snow White - its the only outfit I've got.  Just been putting the chairs out in the village hall and now feeling distinctly nervous - its a sell out and that's an awful lot of chairs.  I'll need a decent walk next week to get over it.
Sounds well worth missing a walk for enjoy.  May be next year they can do Twelth Night.  I can imagine you making an exelent Malvolio.
« Last Edit: 19:27:45, 02/12/18 by BuzyG »

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2523 on: 19:34:43, 02/12/18 »
Out on Bodmin moor today walked the full route I have planned for group walk at Christmas.  The weather was attrosious. My new Jacket took it in it's stride. :)   The second benefit of the weather was I found an alternate, less exposed, route along Killmar tor ridge, as a back up on the day.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2524 on: 20:09:00, 02/12/18 »
The weather was attrosious.

So's your spelling  ;)  but glad the jacket held out.  I am thinking of branching out to Bodmin.  It is just on the hour to Launceston with a following wind then branch off up the A395 - what do you reckon?
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2525 on: 23:33:44, 02/12/18 »

So's your spelling  ;)  but glad the jacket held out.  I am thinking of branching out to Bodmin.  It is just on the hour to Launceston with a following wind then branch off up the A395 - what do you reckon?
If you are heading for Rough tor car park and Brown Willy, then that is the simplest route in. Turn off at Davidstow dairy and cut across the airfield.

My favourite tor is the next highest, where I ate my lunch today.  That is Killmar tor, on the South moor.  A fun scramble along the top of the ridge in the summer.  A little more intimidating on wet rock in the wind today.

Always happy to guide if I'm about.  My navigating is better than my spelling.  ;)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2526 on: 11:01:16, 03/12/18 »
Thanks Buzy.  I was looking at Kilmar Tor as well, looks fun on the aerial photos.  Can you recommend a jumping off point where I can park?
Solvitur Ambulando

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2527 on: 11:13:37, 03/12/18 »
There is  free car park in the village of North Hill to the northeast with footpaths up onto the moor.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2528 on: 12:20:35, 03/12/18 »
There is  free car park in the village of North Hill to the northeast with footpaths up onto the moor.
Thanks.  Look like it has a pub too!
Solvitur Ambulando

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2529 on: 12:26:06, 03/12/18 »
Thanks.  Look like it has a pub too!

Yes, The Racehorse. Good reviews on Tadviser though I can't comment as it was closed on the one afternoon I was there :(
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2530 on: 21:12:34, 03/12/18 »
Thanks Buzy.  I was looking at Kilmar Tor as well, looks fun on the aerial photos.  Can you recommend a jumping off point where I can park?
I enjoy the walk in from Minions, then cross the Whithey Brook and return via Tregarrick tor.  Nice view from there over Siblyback, plus lots of antiquities along the way, if you enjoy those? All open access though not much trodden, so you may need to climb the odd gate.

You can also park between stow hill and sharp tor tor or even simply park at the top of the lane just North east of Killmar tor itself.  I sometimes park there in the summer, after work and then just head straight up on to the ridge and head along and back.  You can make the ridge itself as hard or as easy as you like.  There is proper climbing required to reach a few of the high points along it.  But it is very shallow on the South side, so you can simply walk around any parts you do not fancy scrambling over.
« Last Edit: 21:18:14, 03/12/18 by BuzyG »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2531 on: 00:00:11, 04/12/18 »
Thanks Buzy - useful gen, I will start plotting some routes.
Solvitur Ambulando

peapod21

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2532 on: 15:18:09, 16/12/18 »
Been up Sugarloaf today. It was a bit windy  :o
You have one life, make the most of it.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2533 on: 20:46:54, 16/12/18 »
Up on Yes tor today.  A proper little hail squal hit for about half an hour.  Happily spotted it coming and threw on my waterproofs.  That stuff don't half sting your face. Something else I recall from my surfing days. Happily I bought a new pair of clear safety glasses yesterday, they were just the ticket.
« Last Edit: 20:51:55, 16/12/18 by BuzyG »

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2534 on: 23:11:45, 23/12/18 »
Out on Bodmin today, leading a Christmas walk for our group.  Happily a few others turned up in the driving mizzell and we enjoyed a few Mince pies along the way.

Have to be honest my heart was on Ben Nevis, in the sunshine, where I was hoping to get with my lad.  Commitments aye.  :) 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy