Author Topic: At Last Waterproof Gloves that really work.  (Read 1812 times)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
At Last Waterproof Gloves that really work.
« on: 15:26:15, 27/11/18 »
Browsing through the Black Friday goodies in my local Sports Direct, i found a pair of Extremities SO CALLED waterproof gloves, for a fairly reasonable £15.99, down from £21.
Over the years ive never found a single pair of gloves that actually keep your hands dry, and i think ive wasted quite a bit of money on several pairs that turned out to be anything but waterproof.
Yesterday afternoon, the weather above Harlech was ideal to put my new purchase to the test, and as the gloves are twin skinned affairs, they may be a bit too warm for summer use, but perfect for chilly winter days.

After walking around the back lanes of Harlech towards Llanfair, sometimes in pouring rain for over three hours, my hand remained totally dry.

Due to the outside temperature of around 7C, my hands were not especially warm, but they were not cold either, but the inner waterproof lining of these Extremities certainly kept the moisture at bay.

Longterm use, may prove otherwise, but i am more than happy with my purchase, but the real test will be a high level traverse, maybe the Carneddau or Snowdon. ;)

A jaunt around country lanes without being battered to hell and back by the wind, was not a true test, but at least it was raining hard, and my hands were exposed to really damp weather for a significant length of time, to prove the gloves actually worked.
« Last Edit: 15:30:43, 27/11/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Re: At Last Waterproof Gloves that really work.
« Reply #1 on: 16:00:36, 27/11/18 »
Before you get too excited.....I've had several pairs of waterproof gloves that were waterproof the first few times out, but weren't for long.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:12:20, 27/11/18 »
So far so good, but i totally agree, ive yet to put the gloves to some real in the teeth of it  punishment, but i ensured my hands were exposed for as long as was comfortable, in the path of the driving rain, and on my arrival home, my hands had remained dry throughout.
I am not sure how robust the inner membrane of my new gloves are, but over the near forty years ive been an avid walker, these are the first pair of gloves with exposed stitching throughout, that remained dry and did not become saturated with water over an extended period.

So far so good, the £16 looks like it was well spent, and you only have to examine the manufacture of the gloves, they look well made, even though, heaven forbid, they are made in China, like just about everything else.

My only concern now, is losing one or both of them, as a rather nice pair of Sealskins went astray in my Scottish adventure a while ago, and can i remember where i lost them ?   that's anyones guess, somewhere in the Outer Hebrides BUT WHERE ?
« Last Edit: 16:16:04, 27/11/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:55:17, 27/11/18 »
A jaunt around country lanes without being battered to hell and back by the wind, was not a true test, but at least it was raining hard, and my hands were exposed to really damp weather for a significant length of time, to prove the gloves actually worked.

I'm surprised you were out in the rain as you keep saying you only go out when the weather is good, but thanks for the report on the gloves, I'm after a new winter pair so may give these a go if I can find them locally, on line they are £16.50  O0

https://www.simplyhike.co.uk/products/extremities-waterproof-powerliner-glove-black

Incidentally some of you may appreciate this article:

https://andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/the_truth_about_gloves
« Last Edit: 18:03:36, 27/11/18 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:07:30, 27/11/18 »
Marigolds.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:18:09, 27/11/18 »

A true test is opening and closing wet gates and grabbing onto wet rock.  If your hands stay dry after that then they've passed the test. 

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:03:46, 27/11/18 »
Marigolds.

;D
That's what Andy Kirkpatrick says  O0
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:09:34, 27/11/18 »

A true test is opening and closing wet gates and grabbing onto wet rock.  If your hands stay dry after that then they've passed the test.
The other week I inadvertently found the ultimate glove test, grabbing a wet gate with a fresh cow pat on the top rail.  I don't know how the cow got it there but I bet it did it out of spite.
Solvitur Ambulando

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:00:20, 27/11/18 »

My only concern now, is losing one or both of them, as a rather nice pair of Sealskins went astray in my Scottish adventure a while ago, and can i remember where i lost them ?   that's anyones guess, somewhere in the Outer Hebrides BUT WHERE ?

Would this help :

https://ibb.co/JzC4Lxs

AFANASIEW

« Reply #9 on: 21:08:58, 27/11/18 »
The other week I inadvertently found the ultimate glove test, grabbing a wet gate with a fresh cow pat on the top rail.  I don't know how the cow got it there but I bet it did it out of spite.
Reached a similar conclusion about whatever species of bird (I like to think maybe wood pigeon, or flying rat) left a dollop on a gate near Stoke Fleming back in June, in gloveless weather. Damned good shot, if deliberate. At the end of a long, hard day and well into the painful stage, it had the potential to put the tin lid on proceedings but, on the contrary, such were my other tribulations that it deserved no more than a shrug. And a vigorous wipe in long grass.
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:35:10, 27/11/18 »
Pop down your local garden center and buy some bog sstandard PVC gardening gloves for under a fiver.   Combine with a cheap pair of wool mitts and enjoy warm dry hands all winter through. ;)

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:08:59, 28/11/18 »
Pop down your local garden center and buy some bog sstandard PVC gardening gloves for under a fiver.   Combine with a cheap pair of wool mitts and enjoy warm dry hands all winter through. ;)

Erm, something's not quite right here? You can't wear mitts under gloves.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:57:00, 28/11/18 »
Perhaps BusyG means wearing mitts over the gloves?

Hate will never win

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 13:47:27, 28/11/18 »
I have a pair of 'waterproof' gloves. The way I keep them like this is I've cut off the sleeves of an old GoreTex jacket, about 7" in my case an inch longer than my middle finger, secure them around my wrist and then put my gloves on. My gloves will then only leak if I walk around with my arms held upright to the sky in the rain!

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 15:29:23, 28/11/18 »
Perhaps BusyG means wearing mitts over the gloves?

I wouldn't imagine sodden mitts over pvc gloves keep your hands very warm.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy