Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292437 times)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #75 on: 15:06:30, 14/10/16 »
I am always very impressed with people who do LDPs with a 35 litre rucksack Sussamb.

Should perhaps add I mainly b&b so most I carry in the way of camping gear is a tarp as a 'just in case' item and the occasional wild camp. Any more and I'd need more than 35l  ;)
« Last Edit: 15:10:12, 14/10/16 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

Downdale

« Reply #76 on: 15:27:46, 14/10/16 »
I've gone and bought a pair of Adidas Terrex fast R GTX boots, I have been eyeing them for a while because I want a second lightweight pair for summer/spring/autumn.
I also pulled the trigger on the Montane black ice 2 hybrid down jacket, it was seriously reduced in a sale and I couldn't resist, I'll probably use it more for bimbling about town in than taking it out walking.

I wonder if there's ten step program for gear addiction?
 :-[

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #77 on: 15:28:52, 14/10/16 »
I b&b too.  I must be just a bad packer.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #78 on: 18:02:53, 14/10/16 »
Ive found that it pays to buy the best sac you can afford, and ive still got a Berghaus Dart 45L sac in my wardrobe, a bit discoloured, but should outlast me.

Its a bit discoloured, but was made out of bulletproof materials all those years ago, and before i moved up to North Wales several years ago, it was in regular use.
Nothing has failed on it over the years, even the zips are in fine fettle.
Granted it may have been manufactured close on thirty years ago, but the manufacturing quality was magnificent.

The choice of ruc sacs today, is probably just as extensive as it was back in the 1980s, but one does not buy a sac every few years, its a bit of kit that can last the owner a considerable time.

Just make sure you buy a sac of the correct size, with 50-55 Litres a great combination for a good allround day sac, or something that can be used for longer journies.

Within reason, set your budget to purchase the best sac you can sensibly afford, you will certainly not regret buying quality decades later.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #79 on: 18:50:06, 14/10/16 »

Just make sure you buy a sac of the correct size, with 50-55 Litres a great combination for a good allround day sac

jeezus... I could survive for a month on the contents of a 55 ltr sack!

Andies

• Veteran Member
« Reply #80 on: 18:58:34, 14/10/16 »

jeezus... I could survive for a month on the contents of a 55 ltr sack!

Been OK with a now ancient Berghaus Freeflow 20l day pack for very many years. Seems almost indestructible. Not sure I would want to use a 55l pact even if half empty as a day pack, but each to their own  :)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #81 on: 19:01:37, 14/10/16 »
I certainly agree, but i find that my Dart 45L would be too small to carry a weeks full of gear, if i was tackling a Long Distance trail.
I wonder what the ideal size would be for most forum members.

My 45L sac is a good size, but i know ive got enough kit that could swallow that capacity with little trouble.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #82 on: 19:11:51, 14/10/16 »
My Deuter Guide 35+ 8 is more than adequate to carry everything I need on day trips and would probably suffice for an extended trip of perhaps a week but I've never had need to put it to that test.  OK so it's not the lightest of packs out there but for me the robustness, design and comfort far outweigh the only negative I can think of.
« Last Edit: 19:16:24, 14/10/16 by Bhod »
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Andies

• Veteran Member
« Reply #83 on: 19:19:04, 14/10/16 »
To be honest 20l isn't really enough at times for a day pack but then Mrs A has a bigger 28l pack  ;D

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #84 on: 19:24:30, 14/10/16 »
If there was an ideal size of pack some of us wouldn't own so many!
The ideal pack is just slightly bigger, or possibly smaller, than any of those in the cupboard.

Cairncamper

« Reply #85 on: 19:25:56, 14/10/16 »
I'm always interested in how peoples pack size varies.

I'd be interested to know what equipment everyone takes, and what foods, for a day hike,  a couple of day's, and a weeks wild camping?

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #86 on: 22:34:28, 14/10/16 »
Deuter Guide 35+

Essentials carried (most) every trip -

2L Hydration bladder
SOL Emergency Bivvy
First Aid Kit
Head Torch
Spare pair of socks
Spare Baselayer
Sealskinz gloves
Beanie hat
Small pack towel
Map, Compass, GPS
T-27 Trangia
MSR Mugmate coffee filter
KFS
Titanium Mug
Food, coffee, snacks etc

Depending on weather forecast -

If raining or rain forecast then I will either carry or wear my ME Goretex Jkt and Trousers

If no rain forecast then I will probably carry my lightweight Montane Pertex Jkt and trousers

Also how cold the temperature is going to be and the range of activity decides whether I carry or wear my microlight down jacket or Extreme smock.

The above is not an exhaustive list by any means and things do get swopped in or out but it gives you a general idea of what I would carry for a full day/weekend on the hills.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #87 on: 00:40:45, 30/10/16 »
Couldn't resist another trip to the Montane Outlet today, left with two pairs of gloves, another beanie hat, a Spitfire One Jacket and a Flux jacket, I really must stop buying jackets  :-\

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #88 on: 08:11:32, 30/10/16 »
I have a Berghaus 25L for a day out i can even squeeze in my winter gear in it but if i am taking a helmet it goes on the outside and the rope under the hood but i have just bought a Vango Boulder 45L which fits all my climbing gear inside including my rope etc much better another recent buys are a Petzl Tikka my cheapy headtorch wasn't cutting it on a few dark descents recently and some Rab guide gloves for the coming winter

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #89 on: 15:07:55, 30/10/16 »
Bought a pair of gloves at Millets, £10.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy