Author Topic: What walks have you got planned?  (Read 12247 times)

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
Re: What walks have you got planned?
« Reply #15 on: 08:25:21, 19/04/07 »
What on earth are they, little burgers or something?  ???

At first I thought they looked like the full moon, half moon and so on, but now I'm not so sure.  I'm all for alternative beliefs, but come on - give me something to go on!  ;)

At the stone monolith I visited last weekend there were several candles, but I just took these for a gentle display of homage ... but burgers??

:o

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 14:51:37, 19/04/07 »
So a new year new plans.  What are we all upto this year than and if we done any already post it here i done lot and will up date. You as i have just finished work.now
Update AARRGGHH!!! doing two weeks of night duty AARRGGHH!!! am getting  ??? now like i said update of my walking.  Once christmas was over we decided to get fit again and started going out as much as we could.   We drove up to Dovestone and walked for about 8 miles in the snow which was great loved it had a snow ball fright.  But i can't belive how much work went into walking in the snow so much hard work it but was such a laugh.  Than we drove down to Edale love this place one of my fave's place's and did are usually route it was snowing but not snowing if you know what i mean i know that sounds  confuseing.  I always find the first bit of this hard for some odd reason not sure why.  sometimes i got to stop half way up the hill  and other's time not i mean i only got little leg as am about 4ft11 while my partner is 6ft and as got long leggs dose this make a difference or/not not sure my self.  Just got back from my first LDP which god i can't tell you how much i enjoyed it still buzzing.  As am on night untill nxt week and working this weekend am not able to go any where but the week after that am off not sure where to go thou.
« Last Edit: 14:53:13, 19/04/07 by walkinggirluk »
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:21:45, 19/04/07 »
What on earth are they, little burgers or something?  ???

At first I thought they looked like the full moon, half moon and so on, but now I'm not so sure.  I'm all for alternative beliefs, but come on - give me something to go on!  ;)

At the stone monolith I visited last weekend there were several candles, but I just took these for a gentle display of homage ... but burgers??

:o

We didn't touch them but they looked to be made of some kind of meat.

IIRC the moons represent the maiden, mother and the crone (or the other one as Mr Pratchett call it). The circle of life. The other figure shouldn't need much explanation really being a pretty famous fertility symbol. The moons are a little unformed but them I suppose making symbols out of raw meat isn't high on most art courses agenda.

Not seen candles yet, but then we went probably a week or so before any meetings.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 20:35:38, 19/04/07 »
Dazza, excellent stuff, mate ...

Post more pics in the "Photography" section when you do your Darley Dale hike.  If you get one of a trail going past a standing stone then that'd be great (hey, pictures to order!  ;D), you know something like Avebury.

You've got me thinking now about linking my walks with interesting land features and oddities.  I'm a bit of a dunce, so when I've learnt how to shrink my pictures so that I can post 'em on here, I'll post a few  ;)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 21:12:57, 19/04/07 »
Dazza, excellent stuff, mate ...

Post more pics in the "Photography" section when you do your Darley Dale hike.  If you get one of a trail going past a standing stone then that'd be great (hey, pictures to order!  ;D), you know something like Avebury.

You've got me thinking now about linking my walks with interesting land features and oddities.  I'm a bit of a dunce, so when I've learnt how to shrink my pictures so that I can post 'em on here, I'll post a few  ;)

I will do. The less fanous stone circle is probably the biggest free standing circle (arbor low have done what I do on Friday nights - fall over). Coupld of caves and standing stones as well. The nine ladies isn't quite as impressive. But yeah I'll post some pics.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 21:12:48, 24/04/07 »
With my walks, I like to have one set and ready to go (in my own case the last 40 miles of the Wolds Way over two days on the coming bank holiday), and one festering.

I'm thinking of a 20 mile hike over the Flamborough headland, from good ole Brid to Filey, but it's a little awkward for public transport.  Am doing it with a pal who can drive, and so will probably just park the car in Brid and catch a bus back, all depends really.  I like cliff walking, some really nice views, though I've not managed to catch of the "sea fog" that Summitzero referred to elsewhere.

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 22:37:25, 24/04/07 »
Will hopefully be doing some coastal walks later. Too many walks... too little time.
Dazza
--------

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 11:15:58, 25/04/07 »
Hm, I really enjoy coastal walks.  I love being exposed to the elements and the sounds of the sea, especially if the weather is a little fresh!

I've just managed to blag the Missus into going for a walk this weekend as well.  An eight mile circular in Nth Yorkshire, centering around a disused chapel (Cottam chapel for those of yuo who wish to Google it).

Think I'll do it in full kit, to practice for my longer walk next weekend.

Enjoy your trip this weekend, Dazza, and don't forget those pics  ;)

abruzzowalks

« Reply #23 on: 12:42:21, 26/04/07 »
Hi

This  week I'm off with groups to Penne, Abruzzo, Italy.

Were hiking at high and low level.

Walks include seeing high level mountain lakes, Stunning mountain castles, and ancient roman fountains.

My training involves eating lots of Italian food, and getting out and doing those walks!

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 23:05:02, 28/04/07 »
Well we did it, so I'll be posting to the peak district topic in the next day or so.

Got sun burnt, cos I'm fair skinned, so will learn for next time.

Fabulous weather, not as challenging as I'd have liked though.
« Last Edit: 23:15:48, 28/04/07 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 10:45:31, 29/04/07 »
Did you go up near Arbor Low?  I was looking at the circle on the net t'other day, and I see what you mean about having fallen over, interesting 'fan' effect, must've been quite something in its time.

I did a eight mile circular yesterday, linking a bizarre tower named Tatton Sykes Monument, and the deserted Cottam chapel.

Looking forward to your pics.  ;)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 21:16:43, 29/04/07 »
Got some very nice pictures which I'll be attending to soon.

I haven't been to Arbour Low for many years. It's actually fairly difficult to incoporate into a circular walk without large road sections, and you can't really park there either.

Will maybe visit it on the way to something else.

A bit of a preview. The entrance to Stanton Moor is below.
Dazza
--------

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 22:27:43, 29/04/07 »
Route and report, with lots of pictures posted in the peak district section.

No OS map mainly because I don't know the sites position on reproducing them.

Enjoy
Dazza
--------

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 17:38:18, 08/05/07 »
I was supposed to be hiking the last 40 miles of the Wolds Way last bank holiday, but my walking companion didn't feel up to it, so instead we hiked up the East coast from Bridlington to Filey, still a good 20 mile stroll.  ;D

I'm writing up an account of it now, but really want to include a map guide - could just say "keep the sea on your right", but it doesn't really have the same effect.  So I'll wait to see what I can come up with first ...

Thanks for the advice for taking regular breaks, worked a treat.  I would usually just flop onto the nearest bank of grass when exhaustion takes over, but this way, it would cast life back into tired limbs.

The main lesson I learnt from this experience was not to walk on stoney beaches!  A pain in all respects!  >:(

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 20:31:00, 08/05/07 »
Sounds good and I look forward to seeing the write up.

Stony beaches, yeah not my favourite surface (my favourite surface is the approach to a bar).

We usually take a break every hour or so for ten-fifteen minutes, depending. If somethings been strenuous (and it doesn't take much) then we'll collapse somewhere inconspicuous so we don't look tired and [censored] out when someone passes (cos you know we have our pride).

My next walk I'll try and get in shot (I'm more of a behind the camera guy), so you can run away if you see me coming.
Dazza
--------

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy