Author Topic: Your longest day walk?  (Read 4943 times)

pleb

• Veteran Member
Your longest day walk?
« on: 10:34:19, 14/11/19 »
Whats the farthest you have walked in a day? Longest I have tracked was meant to be 13 miles according to whoever reckoned it up, on a forum Derbyshire meet years ago.
Pretty sure I walked about 15 miles one time when I went wrong n did a load of road walking back to the car, at Clumber park North Notts.
Maybe I am substandard if Harry Keogh has done 22.7 miles  :o :o :o  think that would kill me!
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Re: Your longest day walk?
« Reply #1 on: 11:29:10, 14/11/19 »
Longest day is 30 miles, on two occasions.

First was a day walk using the High Peak Trail and Tissington Trail as the basis for a circuit.
Second was the middle day of three days doing the Yorkshire Wolds Way.

Neither of these involved significant ascent though. The longest to have significant ups and downs was 24 miles.
Edit: correct number.
« Last Edit: 11:40:51, 14/11/19 by vghikers »

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:38:41, 14/11/19 »
Whereas I once walked 259 miles in 10 days (last half of Camino Frances) they were easy miles and I had walked for 18 days beforehand so had acquired the legs and mindset required.
Looking back I can remember so little of that stretch that I now know that I personally confused the effort  of walking with the joy of being on a walk.
I decided that anything more than 15 miles a day at max was  to risk the reasons I want to walk for. I want to see things, wander off track to investigate things, smell the flowers, throw snowballs at imaginary trolls, listen to the birds. So I gave reverted to being a proud slow walker, and not to emulate a wannabee Marine yomping across the countryside to reach a target by a prescriptive time.

Too little, too late, too bad......

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:07:31, 14/11/19 »
Whereas I once walked 259 miles in 10 days (last half of Camino Frances) they were easy miles and I had walked for 18 days beforehand so had acquired the legs and mindset required.
Looking back I can remember so little of that stretch that I now know that I personally confused the effort  of walking with the joy of being on a walk.
I decided that anything more than 15 miles a day at max was  to risk the reasons I want to walk for. I want to see things, wander off track to investigate things, smell the flowers, throw snowballs at imaginary trolls, listen to the birds. So I gave reverted to being a proud slow walker, and not to emulate a wannabee Marine yomping across the countryside to reach a target by a prescriptive time.
I think it is an age thing. When I was young, myself and a friend used to push each other & cover many miles in a relatively short time. We did 25 miles as a personal best over rough. boggy and ploughed fields near to the village of Wolverley . Blisters galore as badges of honour.Now I agree with you Jimbob. I have slowed down and enjoy the sights and sounds much more. Many of which I was missing years ago. Even though still enjoying those hikes in the past for different reasons.These days I may take a wrong turn now when enjoying the sights and sounds, and not regret it because often I come across unexpected gems in the form of views or other lovely surroundings.
I will stop and stand still just to enjoy the moments. There is less testosterone flowing now and without wanting to sound pompous, with age comes a certain wisdom in the form of patience and recognising every moment is unique. So I slowed down and anyway my knees ache sometimes ??? ??? 
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:17:22, 14/11/19 »
27.5 miles Ivybridge to Okehampton across Dartmoor - the OATS walk (Okehampton Activity Training Scheme, no longer in existence) - in 2000. Ten hours which included several short stops and an hour for lunch at Postbridge!
I was younger then :(
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:18:38, 14/11/19 »
30 miles from the centre of Selby to the Humber Bridge. Last day of a 7 day walk. Wanted to break it into two days, but couldn't find a hotel I could afford, so kept going. Close to collapse when my friend picked me up. Couldn't do it now ten years later.
ilona

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:18:44, 14/11/19 »
The longest day when out “hiking” was about 20 miles on the Dufton to Alston leg of the Pennine
Way. Considering there was an awful lot of climbing that day, I managed it pretty well, probably due to the fact we had been walking nearly two weeks by then! On the other hand when I did a charity walk of 25 miles in flat Suffolk, I could hardly walk the next day!

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:48:47, 14/11/19 »
The longest distance i ever managed in a 24hr period, was 83miles, whilst attempting my first of three LDWA Hundreds, back in the 1980s.
There was a position i reached, that no amount of encouragement from fellow competitors, could make my tired limbs and body, continue the last 17 or so miles to the finish line.

Those of us who have been in a physical condition, that ones entire body is so drained and physically incapable of continuing to move ones legs, will know what i mean.

Its been some time since ive walked a real great distance, but i recon somewhere between 25 to 35miles would be my limit nowdays, but if the terrain was really challenging, then who knows.

I am considerably older, and not as mountain fit as when i was in my late twenties early thirties.

Nick Thynne

« Reply #8 on: 13:08:04, 14/11/19 »
Wow, some very impressive numbers on this thread!

I've done a few 20 milers in The Dales and the Moors but nothing more than that i don't think. I am going to walk the Dales Way and the Coast to Coast walk in 2020 so i assume ill have a few long days on those.

Guy

« Reply #9 on: 13:13:33, 14/11/19 »
Done a few 50 mile days and regularly do 26+ miles.  Walking across Wales in a day (45 miles) was probably a highlight (http://www.acrosswaleswalk.co.uk/).  Welsh 3000s was one of the tougher walks due to the amount of ascent/descent.  Happen to be doing a 30+ mile walk next weekend (Gatliff "Marathon"). 

If you're interested in long distance walking, check out the LDWA (https://www.ldwa.org.uk/).  As mentioned in a previous post amongst other things they organise a 100 mile challenge annually (not quite sure I'm mad enough to enter that!).
« Last Edit: 13:21:26, 14/11/19 by Guy »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:31:32, 14/11/19 »
Longest one recently was the 27 miles from Forest View to KY, the final leg of my PW in 2012  :)
Where there's a will ...

zuludog

« Reply #11 on: 13:35:22, 14/11/19 »
The longest distance was The Lyke Wake Walk, about 41 miles

The longest time was a round of Munros from Shenavall bothy -- Beinn a Chladheimh - Sgurr Ban - Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair - Beinn Tarsuinn - A' Mhaighdean - Rhuadh Stac Mor

We left the bothy about 04-00 in the morning and got back at 02-00 the next day

As you might expect, those were years ago when I was fittetr and younger!

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:46:28, 14/11/19 »
My longest recent one (I did a 52 mile one when I was still at school) was in 2017 when walking part of Lejog from Innerleithen to West Linton at 32 miles and just short of 5,000' in ascent.  I had copied parts of my OS maps but they didn't quite meet but I didn't bother to relook at the originals or recopy them as all looked reasonably OK.  From the copies it did appear that there was a route through a plantation/forest initially along the forestry tracks and then a footpath to reach the other side.   I followed these for 2 hours until I came to a dead end, whilst I tried to find an alternative way eventually I had to return all the way back down before setting off again - seriously annoyed at my mistake and trying not to look like an idiot - not easy!"

Warbler

« Reply #13 on: 14:04:13, 14/11/19 »
The longest for me is 20 miles, twice, both on the SWCP.

The first was around the Taw and Torridge estuaries in North Devon, on completely flat, and very hard unforgiving surfaces. I could only manage about 4 miles the following day, my legs ached badly and my feet where in tatters. The second was St Keverne to Falmouth on the Lizard peninsula. Nowhere near as flat, but managed quite easily.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 14:05:06, 14/11/19 »
32.3 miles. When I'm not walking with my wife I walk while she's at work. One day in April this year I set off at about 9.30am intending to do about 20 miles. I felt good so I kept going and arrived home 7h 50m later - I didn't stop and my average speed was 4.1mph.

I agree that it's an age thing... I'm 67 now and there's absolutely no way I could have done that distance and time when I was younger!
« Last Edit: 14:23:21, 14/11/19 by WhitstableDave »
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy