Author Topic: Slogger's 5 day C2C attempt.  (Read 12779 times)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Re: Slogger's 5 day C2C attempt.
« Reply #75 on: 20:22:37, 03/09/18 »
Or perhaps he's just making us wait! 

Fantastic achievement - well done Slogger

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #76 on: 20:32:53, 03/09/18 »
He is on the move again, almost there, amazing, well done Slogger, you are a Legend O0
Hate will never win

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #77 on: 20:33:57, 03/09/18 »
Or has he finished and on the way home - walking?

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #78 on: 20:45:27, 03/09/18 »
 Well done Dave.I should imagine he will have a days rest and then its back to work before the next madcap adventure. O0

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #79 on: 11:22:43, 04/09/18 »
Yep, brilliant effort.  Can hardly wait to get his TR  O0
Where there's a will ...

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #80 on: 12:45:34, 04/09/18 »
Yep, brilliant effort.  Can hardly wait to get his TR  O0

+1
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

dav

« Reply #81 on: 17:58:20, 04/09/18 »
Thank you everyone, I am amazed by all your interest but gladthat it has kept you entertained for a few days.
Day 1. St. Bees to Grasmere.
Left St. Bees at 4.25am. Legs not happy on the little climb out onto the cliff top path. This is going to be interesting, I thought. By the time I was approaching Moor Row, my left foot arch was really sore, it had been coming on foe the last few miles. I was walking in a fairly new pair of Meindle walking shoes, as during testing all my other GTX shoes leaked. Anyway I stopped to inspect and discovered that the shoe itself had a strong built in arch support and that the Sorbothane Double Strike insoles that I had added was pushing up into the arch. My right foot over suppinates so wasn't affected. I got out my knife and cut away the padding of the insole at the arch area. Immediatte relief and no further problems there.
Re-supplied in Cleater, made steady progress as far as Loft Beck. During the last 2.5 years I become aware that my hip flexor tendon are pretty much done following year of fell running. Every time I ascend steeply, especially on climbs up those little rock steps, my legs quickly lose strength. On long reasonablely steep ascents the legs are still strong and I can clog on a bit. Four ladies in front with a slow tailender. This tailender beat me to the top and i was in such a state of exhaustion, one of them gave me a Banana and another a small bag of Jelly Babies. I got going again amd overtook them.
On the descent to Honister I met Paul and his daughter. We had a good chat and a laugh but I wasn't playing anything down Paul, I really was exhausted and thought I had no chance and was very concerned that I may be able to make Grasmere that day. Anyway somehow I did make Grasmere, but it really was over my legs were completely empty of strengh, weak in fact. It was 9.30pm, I walked straight into the Little Inn Hotel and enquired about accomodation. They only had a double left at 85 pounds, I couldn't say @yes@, quick enough. I phoned my wife and a pal to tell them I was finished.
Day 2. Grasmere to Smardale Bridge.
Good nighst sleep after little the previous three nights, I awoke to a sunny day. I decided to carry on at whatever pace my legs would allow and just see how far I could get rather than rushing home.
The ascents up to Grisedale Tarn, out of Patterdale, around the Knott were extremely slow and painful. I visited Kidsty Pike but decided on the alternative scenic route by High and Low Raise to Measand Beck and down to rejoin the lower path. Has a meal in Shap and off again, determined to claw back some of the lost 5 hours from yesterday. By the time I reached Smardale bridge I had recovered almost of them and camped on the little flat area next to the bridge.
Day 3. Smardale Bridge to Reeth.
Slow again on the steeper bits but flying along the other parts, however it was far too hot and I was awash with sweat. Caught up with three younger guys who had lost their schedule due to carrying 20kg packs. Over 9 Standards Rigg with no problem, into Ravenseat where I met Clivve the farmer on the telly. Had a laugh with him, he thought me mad (like they do). Stopped in Keld cafe, then on through Gunnerside, another stop there for two milk shakes. Reeth reached, but i needed to divert slightly to Grinton as i badly needed a shower as salt from sweat and rubbing had caused blisters on my shoulder and It needed sorting. B&B at the Bridge Inn.
Day 4 . Reeth to Ingleby Cross.
Left the Bridge Inn at around 3.30am and made my way to Richmond where I found a Costa and had breakfast. Through the vale of Mowbrey my feet began feeling the sore due to much tarmac walking. Met a few groups at the White Swan, Danby Wiske. We left together for a short while before I pressed on th Ingleby Cross and the Blue Bell, where I pitched my tent. I had a good meal there two pints of guinness and retired to get a few hours sleep before setting off on the final push to RHB.
Day 5. Ingleby Cross to RHB.
Set off actually end of day4 around 10.45pm. I had forgotten how long and steep that ascent through the woods was, but head down, keep going I emerged at the top and ready for the Cleveland Hills. I was at Carlton Bank summit for 3am. Ascents painful as too were the descents now, but knew it was in the bag and estimated an 8pm finish, without rushing too much. I stopped at the Lion Inn for gorgeous breakfast of mostly fruit and cereal, another stop at Glaisdale shop where i purchased three ice lollies. Then again another stop at the cafe in Gromont for two milk shakes, an ice  cream, fruit drink, Apple Pie and custard, pot of tea, and another three ice lollies.
Went a bit wrong coming out of Little Beck but got back on it. Seemed a long way to Hawsker but once on the clifftop path, I felt really strong, pain in legs gone and I managed to get a good stride and pace going all the way to RHB. The weather had turned and was becoming very windy with driving drizzle. My b&b being at the top part of time I called there first. I was warned that I only had around 45 minutes for a local mealin nearby pubs. With this I decided to get showered  and changed fIrst, then out for my meal a couple ogf pints of Guinness, then walk down to the Bay Hotel.
I reached RHB 4 days 15 hours and 43 minutes after leaving St. Bees.
Is this the way/method I recomend - certainly not! However if you do ever wonder how fast you could do certain routes, then be warned they are not easy, they can be painful, they are the oppositte of a walking holiday. So why do we do them like this - Ive no idea, just in the blood I guess, but I know many, many people with the same mind set - I just happen to be the oldest!

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #82 on: 18:32:56, 04/09/18 »
Great story Slogger - and I know you weren't playing it down - there's no disguising cramp!  I think it's a great achievement, but also an inspiration to others to get out and do things.  My daughter, Lauren who was with me when we met you, is a teacher and she has told her class about meeting this amazing man who has walked over all the mountains and set a new record!  She said the kids loved it.  She may have embellished her part in encouraging you to keep going  ;D

Enjoy your rest - if you're having one.

Paul

PS You didn't mean it when you said this was your last challenge did you?  You got me through last weekend when I had to work instead of play, watching that dot.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #83 on: 19:10:47, 04/09/18 »
Not just well done on the walk but amazed you've been able to put a TR together so quickly  O0
Where there's a will ...

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #84 on: 19:40:48, 04/09/18 »
Well done. A great achievement. Dot watching has been very entertaining the last few days :)
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #85 on: 19:59:58, 04/09/18 »
As a lifelong plodder, I'm full of admiration!

dav

« Reply #86 on: 20:06:21, 04/09/18 »
Great story Slogger - and I know you weren't playing it down - there's no disguising cramp!  I think it's a great achievement, but also an inspiration to others to get out and do things.  My daughter, Lauren who was with me when we met you, is a teacher and she has told her class about meeting this amazing man who has walked over all the mountains and set a new record!  She said the kids loved it.  She may have embellished her part in encouraging you to keep going  ;D

Enjoy your rest - if you're having one.

Paul

PS You didn't mean it when you said this was your last challenge did you?  You got me through last weekend when I had to work instead of play, watching that dot.

Paul, I meant it......when I said it however....................
I love it that your daughter told the kids and that they listened, even maybe just one of them felt something, gave them a thought, a hope, a wonder.....
Great meeting you both, and I did think about you both reading that I'd retired and in a way that contributed to me carrying on.

dav

« Reply #87 on: 20:07:41, 04/09/18 »
Not just well done on the walk but amazed you've been able to put a TR together so quickly  O0

While I can still remember!

dav

« Reply #88 on: 20:09:00, 04/09/18 »
Well done. A great achievement. Dot watching has been very entertaining the last few days :)

Many thanks, maybe I will be watching your dot sometime!?

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #89 on: 21:18:01, 04/09/18 »
Well done Slogger, much respect to you  O0
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy