Author Topic: Camping, Glamping and now.........  (Read 6087 times)

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Camping, Glamping and now.........
« on: 10:35:22, 23/03/18 »
Last night on TV, I think it was the One Show I heard the term 'Champing', this apparently is the adopted name for spending a night in a church. A new initiative for churches to make money to help with their upkeep.

I took special note, because whilst I was dozing in the back pew some months ago, mulling ideas over in my mind and half listening to the usual pleas for money. It struck me that many of our country churches are ideally place to act as Bothy's for cross country routes. Then I thought, "Don't be daft, they would never stand for it".

And lo and behold, out of the blue, comes this suggestion on prime time TV, that churches should encourage people to spend a night in them and if my impaired hearing got it right, for very affordable prices.

Now the location of the church I was was enjoying my daytime reverie in, is supported by a landowner, who has bought the estate that originally built the Church. That estate has a front drive and a back drive, which the landowner is very against people walking along, even though the original house no longer exists. Now the piece of info that did jerk me out of my snooze, was the reason why, a member of the congregation contributed, the church was built. The then landowner built the church because he had fallen out with parish church, now this church is in a location that that would make those two sections of drive a route that many of the parishioners would have taken to the original place of worship.

A way lost around 1880, but this would have connected with another lost way, which crosses the neighboring estate, which guaranteed access to the town center for the community surrounding the new church, even perhaps the parish of the church, which had offended this landowner.

Now this estate sits on a sandstone buff that deflects the River Severn into the loop that creates the geography of Shrewsbury and is, to my mind, the natural final section of a Shropshire section of the Cheshire Sandstone Trail, which would follow the continuation of that routes geology.

I am pretty sure that this landowner is an adherent of the views of Harry Cotterell, author of the CLA's policy on access that does not recognize the economic contribution access makes to our rural communities.

Ironical init.

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: Camping, Glamping and now.........
« Reply #1 on: 09:48:54, 24/03/18 »
As someone who always pops into churches on walks - for the history aspect - I always leave a donation because just maintaing the fabric is horrendously expensive so thought champing a great idea but on investigation I decided, regretfully, that it is too expensive.
As these buildings are valuable for their historic architecture often containing important artifacts it would not be possible to just leave them open as bothies and as they are still consecrated it seems, from the website, (that staying on a Saturday into Sunday is not possible either)  Edited as I think I got that wrong - looks as if you have to book the weekend i.e. Friday and Saturday nights.
Anyway, this is definitely not within my budget as breakfast and bedding hire come extra too. A real pity

Here is a link to the website.
https://www.champing.co.uk/our-champing-churches/
« Last Edit: 11:12:40, 24/03/18 by Jac »
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:23:07, 24/03/18 »
Thanks for that link Jac, I did not follow the TV too well only enough to pick up the church featured might be in Worcestershire and obviously the idea from churches end is in it's infancy.

Struck me as as an interesting idea, with the other church topic to do with the Bishop of Litchfield, here, there could be some more to modern day pilgrimages. ;)
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:10:20, 27/03/18 »
I have very fond memories of exploring the churches in the Cotswolds, around 25yrs ago.
I then owned a yellow Triumph TR6 convertible, and the churches that really left a lasting impression and memory on me, were Quennigton, Dustisbourne Rouse and Abbot, Elkstone, Syd, and Fairford.

The weather i remember was beautiful, and back in those days, all the churches remained open, even though half of the ones mentioned are in very remote locations, down country lanes.

I bet most of them now remained locked, which is a sign of the times, where scumbags now think its a great idea to steal from these lovely places of worship.

Maggot

« Reply #4 on: 21:36:22, 27/03/18 »
Blimey, they aren't cheap are they?  ???

I wonder how much they will charge to camp in the churchyard?

scottk

« Reply #5 on: 23:33:06, 27/03/18 »
Maybe if you reserve a plot you can get discount when you camp on it.

Troggy

« Reply #6 on: 11:26:01, 29/03/18 »
Well said Jac. I love the atmosphere in old churches, and visit where I can on any trip I go on. Some really good vibes. I give a donation to any I visit because I'd hate to see them close, like so many have. I'm not sure I want to stay in one overnight though.

What I've found out recently is that the YHA movement, is making provision in more and more of their sites, for campers. They've even got those round roofed wooden things (that I can't remember the name of!) in the grounds of some hostels. I've been a member for ages but more to support them rather than use them, as I prefer my own company when trying to nod off. I think I'll be trying a few of them out this year.

Maggot

« Reply #7 on: 19:01:18, 29/03/18 »
Well said Jac. I love the atmosphere in old churches, and visit where I can on any trip I go on. Some really good vibes. I give a donation to any I visit because I'd hate to see them close, like so many have. I'm not sure I want to stay in one overnight though.

Just before you and Jac get too worried about the state of the church finances, the Church of England made £1.41 billion in 2013/14, which was more than McDonalds at £1.37 billion.  The Church of England has investable assets of £7.9 billion, that doesn't include the gold, silver, property and the odd priceless relic or two.  They could drop their prices a bit and still be quids in!

Probably the local pub is more at risk then the local Church, stay there and have a meal and a couple of pints  O0

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:40:28, 29/03/18 »
Just before you and Jac get too worried about the state of the church finances, the Church of England made £1.41 billion in 2013/14, which was more than McDonalds at £1.37 billion.  The Church of England has investable assets of £7.9 billion, that doesn't include the gold, silver, property and the odd priceless relic or two.  They could drop their prices a bit and still be quids in!

Probably the local pub is more at risk then the local Church, stay there and have a meal and a couple of pints  O0
It's an aspect of the church which does worry me but the whole organisation is so convoluted that I think paying a small amount each time I visit a church is going to the local upkeep. whenyou ' made' £1.41billion would I be correct in assuming it the turnover figure not profit?

I do make sure to support the local hostelries too ;)

So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Troggy

« Reply #9 on: 00:29:36, 30/03/18 »
I'm not worried about "The Church" or it's finances. It seems to me, without getting too polical/religious or any others sort of philosophical/financial debate about men of god living in palaces and playing the stock market, that "The Church" is and institution that can well look after itself.

What I don't like to see, is old places of worship, where generations have lived and died believing in their religion, perhaps for a thousand years or more, becoming derelict because they are not considered "Cost effective" I couldn't really give a tinkers toss about the institution but I hate the thought of wonderful buildings going down the pan; and if I can help prevent that happening, then I don't mind one bit dropping some dosh into a collection box.

Stube

« Reply #10 on: 10:11:32, 30/03/18 »
I saw a spot about Chanping on the TV some time ago and thought the prices excessive then - the current prices are almost double the original ones. :o

I can't escape the feeling that it's a gimmick trading on people's desire for new "experiences" rather than a serious venture into hostelry,

Traditionally churches had a duty of (free) shelter for travellers - which is why the south porch of a church is generally so large.

I always visit churches that I pass (and are open) and make a donation, In the porches of many you find the annual charge on the church to cover the clergy costs (including the hierarchy) typically £50k - I wonder how the small country parishes mange to fine such a sum on a regular basis - perhaps the local large landowners are still paying for the church.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:18:48, 30/03/18 »
Always worth popping in, there is one on Offa's Dyke that provides tea, coffee, biscuits etc for weary travellers ... or walkers ...
Where there's a will ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 10:30:19, 30/03/18 »
The Quaker Meeting House in Mosedale does lovely home made cake and, when I was last there, kept topping up my tea for free.
Definitely worth a call if you are in that part of the Lakes.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 11:28:46, 30/03/18 »
Pyecombe Church on the South Downs Way has a kitchenette, which walkers are welcome to use
I love going into churches when I'm out walking and I always give a donation
My lunchspot is often a seat in a country churchyard
« Last Edit: 12:45:50, 30/03/18 by Dovegirl »

MichaelUK

« Reply #14 on: 18:10:42, 15/04/18 »
I try to include a church or two when planing lonegr walks. Very handy to sit in the church yard for a cuppa, or the porch when the weather is not so good. Always leave a small donation for the pleasure. Also like to look at old gravestones!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy