Author Topic: Weekender S.Wales - maybe Black Mountain?  (Read 2302 times)

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Weekender S.Wales - maybe Black Mountain?
« on: 12:03:07, 25/10/18 »
I'm looking at doing a weekend overnighter in S.Wales.

I like to avoid the crowds so defo not Pen Y Fan or near.

I've done the Black Mountains too many times so thinking of maybe the Black Mountain or Forrest Fawr. The obvious place to start, looking on Bing, is Glyntaw and walk NW from there.  
Anyone got any suggestions for a sat to sun route with wild camp around there? Or other ideas.  

Thanks

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Re: Weekender S.Wales - maybe Black Mountain?
« Reply #1 on: 14:09:59, 25/10/18 »
Just look at the map and make one up.
NW of Glyntawe a very obvious circuit hits me in the eye - in fact the only circuit that naturally fits the topology: the old bridleway NW on the south side of Cwm Haffes through the limestone country past Pwll y Cig and up to the ridge at Waun Lefrith, follow the ridge summits above the two big lakes and back over Fan Hir.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:27:39, 25/10/18 »
Just look at the map and make one up.

Well yes....obviously can do that. It's just that I've had some very good suggestions from people on the site, in the past, who know various areas well and come up with great routes with good flat spots to pitch on etc.

NW of Glyntawe a very obvious circuit hits me in the eye - in fact the only circuit that naturally fits the topology: the old bridleway NW on the south side of Cwm Haffes through the limestone country past Pwll y Cig and up to the ridge at Waun Lefrith, follow the ridge summits above the two big lakes and back over Fan Hir.

That's the the route that stands out to me too.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:42:28, 25/10/18 »
You could do that as it’s well know and obvious, with a great wild camp spot at Sinc Giedd, you could also take in the aircraft remains on Carreg Goch. Alternatively there is a much wilder route from Cwm Twrch Uchaf up through Tyle Garw and back down through Dorwen, you will need gaiters  O0
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:49:18, 29/10/18 »
So we did roughly this walk: http://www.trekkingbritain.com/blackmountainfromglyntawe.html

and camped next to the lake Llyn Y Fan Fawr which is a good spot - found a nice flat grassy patch. Spectacular views and handy for water. Oddly another couple of backpackers turned up and pitched their tent about 40 yards from ours, on a slope. No idea why they wanted to be that close given the huge area and choice of potential pitches there.

Weather was amazing on the Sat - clear, bright and cold. Wandered around the sink holes and up a couple of little peaks, had a spot of lunch and over to the main escarpment - amazing views and strong winds.

Then got confused as to the path down the side, confusing a stream with a little waterfall with the actual path which made for a more exciting descent that was required! Then over to our camping spot at Llyn Y Fan Fawr[/size]

Night was flipping brass monkeys - dropped to -5C under a clear sky but not one for sitting out star gazing despite wearing every jot of clothing including down jackets etc. Didn't even have the will to wash up but rather got into sleeping bags ASAP. But we battled through courtesy of a bottle of rum, lying on our backs in sleeping bags yakking. The next day was decent weather too and a short, easy walk back to the car was very welcome.

So a nice jaunt not too taxing which was ideal given my current fitness levels.

« Last Edit: 12:52:54, 29/10/18 by NeilC »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy