Author Topic: New TV show - Walking Britain's Lost Railways  (Read 1313 times)

adalard

• Veteran Member
New TV show - Walking Britain's Lost Railways
« on: 18:30:41, 16/10/18 »
Evening all,

We've recently stumbled across this new documentary series on Channel 5:

http://www.channel5.com/show/walking-britains-lost-railways/

There are several episodes available on catch-up and we've really enjoyed the ones we've seen so far. There's been some interesting local history along the way, some bushwhacking where the old tracks have become overgrown and diversions where the land has passed back into private hands or been built on top of.

I suppose the idea wasn't commonplace back then but it did make me think what a fantastic network of walking and cycling trails we could have had if all these lines had been "refitted" like the Monsal Trail, for example.

(I don't think this has been mentioned on the forum yet. I did do a search so apologies if this is a duplication.)

Cheers,  O0

April

• Veteran Member
Re: New TV show - Walking Britain's Lost Railways
« Reply #1 on: 18:37:53, 16/10/18 »
Thanks adalard, looks interesting  :)
Hate will never win

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:37:42, 16/10/18 »
Yes we have been watching this. Enjoyed it so far.  Great to see lots of familiar landmarks on the granite way in episode one.  The path is used mainly by cyclists.  Though I have used it a few times to quickly get along the western edge of the moor on walks.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:30:28, 17/10/18 »
Thanks adalard, looks interesting  :)

I thought of you and Beefy when we watched the episode about the Penrith to Cockermouth line. What a lovely journey that would have been, to Keswick and beyond.  :)

Yes we have been watching this. Enjoyed it so far.  Great to see lots of familiar landmarks on the granite way in episode one.  The path is used mainly by cyclists.  Though I have used it a few times to quickly get along the western edge of the moor on walks.

We really enjoyed that one, BuzyG. Nice that so much of it is still open as a public trail.  O0

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:39:54, 17/10/18 »
I thought of you and Beefy when we watched the episode about the Penrith to Cockermouth line. What a lovely journey that would have been, to Keswick and beyond.  :)

There is a group campaigning to have the line reopened. It would be a nice way to arrive in Keswick  :)

Before the Dec 15 floods the old line was a popular walk from Keswick to Threlkeld. It is still partly open, there are plans afoot to put new bridges and paths in place.

Edited to add
 :-[
I saw the Penrith to Cockermouth episode last night and realise my comments above are rather superfluous  ;D

The damage and repair was mentioned along with riderless pods as tenmilesplus mentions below  :o
« Last Edit: 08:35:44, 18/10/18 by April »
Hate will never win

tenmilesplus

« Reply #5 on: 23:16:14, 17/10/18 »
^^^ And there seems to be a planning application to include driverless pods to belt up and down the 'Tarmac' path when it's finished  !! GGGRRRRR..
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:41:28, 18/10/18 »
^^^ And there seems to be a planning application to include driverless pods to belt up and down the 'Tarmac' path when it's finished  !! GGGRRRRR..

There are a lot of rather silly ideas being floated about by the LDNP. There has been a lot of opposition, see below

http://www.timesandstar.co.uk/news/Plan-to-help-shape-future-of-Lake-District-set-for-delay-e859f99a-205b-4164-85ef-72317ebfe5c7-ds?fbclid=IwAR0AUpYPRzArhXl1HZqFnzKeFjPv0YImMG9EeDc4jnP9waMLTckX2jtB0CQ#.W8ehwRY3htQ.facebook
Hate will never win

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:58:28, 19/10/18 »

Edited to add
 :-[
I saw the Penrith to Cockermouth episode last night and realise my comments above are rather superfluous  ;D

The damage and repair was mentioned along with riderless pods as tenmilesplus mentions below  :o

Yes, my reaction was the same...   >:(   Well, actually my immediate response was "Oh, that's like those things in the last Jurassic Park!" but after that it was GGGRRRRR! Hopefully, this idea will be kicked into the long grass with all the other so-called tourist-friendly improvements.

If it isn't, I'll happily help fund any genetic scientist that can recreate dinosaurs to hunt down the people behind it.  ;) ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy