Author Topic: Walking Trailer recommendations?  (Read 2906 times)

BackwardsBen

Re: Walking Trailer recommendations?
« Reply #15 on: 13:10:34, 25/08/19 »
Have you considered the other possibility, of carrying your stuff on your back but thought out to be as light as possible?

I'm always trying to lighten my load and I could still improve on it if I decided to re-buy certain items. For example, the size of my rucksack is 48L, more than enough space for me (I don't cook en route so have no need of the equipment to go with it) and If I repurchased I could buy an even lighter one.

If I re-purchased I could easily save some weight by buying a new tent and for me this could be a notable amount of weight to save. I don't want or need to buy a new inflatable mattress, (I use a Neo-Air) essential to me for a good nights sleep. I've already saved weight by ditching my sleeping bag by buying a sleeping quilt and I now use an air-filled pillow. I also carry with me a Sea to Summit very lightweight bowl, which I use to pack my clothing in, ideal for backpack use.

Then, of course, I take minimal clothes, basically one or two of everything and it works for me because I have a routine of finishing a day, washing the clothes I've been wearing and change into clean ones. I've stopped taking dedicated night time attire, the clean clothes I change into becomes my night attire, or I don't need to wear them because the weather temperature is in my favour. I take two pairs of underwear, one worn, with one clean and drying on the back of my rucksack. I bought them at Decathlon, about £5, incredibly good boxer type, very quick drying and so figure-hugging I often think "am I wearing any?"

I take two pairs of thin socks and two pairs of ordinary socks, which gives me variety as to what I want to wear each day, and they wash and dry easily. My boots are not heavy either, others might suggest they are but I've never really given much thought to bought weight at all.

Again if I repurchased I could also buy two lighter quick drying baselayers than I use at present. My outer jacket is a very light windshell and I carry a very lightweight Alkpit warm jacket, working together they keep me as warm as I want to be. I obviously would have to rethink a bit for the colder months.

The reason why I ask is, have you considered taking a light load on your back? If you are in good enough health to carry a rucksack then would a light load be better for you than a trolley? I walked a very long hike three years ago and I didn't find it difficult to carry my rucksack, even at the weight I was carrying at the time.

I won't be repurchasing a lot of new equipment myself, I'm 74 now and I'm just not sure for how long I can, or even want to continue long-distance hiking. I can only look back and wished I made better equipment decisions in one go rather than the drips and drabs way that I actually did it.

Even today I only carry two noticeably heavy items, water and my Anker phone battery, 12 oz.

Like i said, i'll be taking camera equipment (I plan to live stream some of the walk, almost daily), so will be carrying a lot of "unneccesary" equipment that isn't exactly light. I've tested carrying in my rucksack (Vango Contour 60-10 with added section for extra water), and it's just not gonna happen. I'm already super light weight with my equipment (Small 2 man tent, waterproof clothing very light (only overtrousers and poncho), socks, spare socks, "running" shoes for hotter days where wearing the leathers would be trouble, spare underwear, pop up airbag for sleeping (Scary how little space this takes up in a bag, btw), small quilt.

It's the filming equipment is why i'm looking for a trailer, filming equipment + extra food is what's making the trailer a neccessity.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 13:37:08, 25/08/19 »
I have a small bike-trailer which is very light and will carry 40kg, the wheels come off and the sides fold in so it makes a pretty 'flat-cube' for carrying until getting to your destination (via coach, train etc).

It really is light, has a cover and can be picked up with two-fingers and with some modifications to the 'tow bar' (maybe making it with a hip or shoulder belt / towbar) would make a walking trailer.

We keep it on the boat along with the folding bike for fetching gas bottles, food etc etc.

Personally I would not fancy walking with a trailer particularly on any steep, hilly, paths.

« Last Edit: 13:40:15, 25/08/19 by alan de enfield »

andyapanel

« Reply #17 on: 13:13:24, 26/08/19 »
A wheelbarrow would do the trick; after all it was originally invented in China for soldiers to push/pull their kit.
I would just go ultralightweight, as has been suggested. I did Offa’s Dyke with 11 Kg, only stocking up on food 3 times, and yes, I was wild camping.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 21:50:39, 26/08/19 »
If it was me, now having looked at the two-wheeled trailer or the one-wheeled, I'd go for the one-wheeled every time. The one-wheeled looks much more manoeuvrable, possibly lighter and easier to manage. I may be wrong?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 21:59:30, 26/08/19 »
Just had another look at the Monowalker, the design looks so good, so 'German.' They do have a reputation for engineering excellence so the UK engineers down the pub tell me. I believe them.

Patrick1

« Reply #20 on: 10:17:18, 27/08/19 »
I listened to a podcast on "The Outdoors Station" a little while ago in which a chap was planning to walk across Iceland with a walking trailer. The podcast is here, and if I remember correctly he did talk a bit about the trailer, so might be worth a listen to find out exactly what type it is.

[Edit - actually, reading that page fully, it looks as if it was a "Benpacker Hiking Cart Expedition Edition".]

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy