Author Topic: Flora  (Read 102262 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: Flora
« Reply #300 on: 10:01:45, 02/11/19 »
@ Ninthace:
Hmm..... that might be just a local name for it, because it comes up as a species of Oz and not NZ. (I'm not very well acquainted with tree ferns.) That's the trouble with common names, different regions have different names for the same plant and the same names for different plants. Which is where Carl Linnaeus came to the rescue in the eighteenth century by devising a binomial system of Latin names which can be recognised anywhere in the world whatever the native language.

@Whitstable Dave:
E. Sussex and S. Kent cliffs are good places for orchids, because the tiny little seeds can be carried from the continent on favourable winds, to land on our shores. Their sex lives are disgusting, they interbreed freely and produce all manner of genetic oddities, such as your white one.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #301 on: 12:25:14, 02/11/19 »
Their sex lives are disgusting, they interbreed freely and produce all manner of genetic oddities, such as your white one.

so white is a genetic oddity!  Quick alert the race police (I actually typed racist police but thought that possibly equated to a double negative and therefore a positive) - LOL

(please - take this post as being non-serious)
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #302 on: 23:13:36, 02/11/19 »
A study in epiphytes.
Solvitur Ambulando

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #303 on: 23:17:30, 02/11/19 »
Guaranteed native tree fern this time, known as a Punga or Ponga I think.
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #304 on: 08:55:38, 03/11/19 »
Guaranteed native tree fern this time, known as a Punga or Ponga I think.

Yes, that one comes up as an endemic
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alsophila_dealbata

Most botanists / pteridologists / growers will know it as Cyathea dealbata rather than Alsophila dealbata because those unmistakable Linnaean names of which I was so full of praise earlier have recently been turned on their heads by major revisions in the taxonomy, leaving everyone confused and largely sticking with the old names  :-\

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #305 on: 11:21:54, 03/11/19 »
One of the pleasures of walking for me is spotting wildflowers that I've not seen before and looking them up when I get home.

I eventually managed to identify this one with a 3ft long flower spike that I saw near Dolgellau, but it was a real challenge...

Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #306 on: 14:42:30, 03/11/19 »
Giz a clue then.  Don't keep us in suspenders  :D   

... worrizit?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #307 on: 18:48:56, 03/11/19 »
Giz a clue then.  Don't keep us in suspenders  :D   

... worrizit?
Umbilicus Rupestris or Navelwort
Seemingly it is edible???????

Too little, too late, too bad......

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #308 on: 19:02:59, 03/11/19 »
Seriously?!  :o   So, if I google that, it won't bring up anything dodgy will it?  :D

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #309 on: 19:22:55, 03/11/19 »
Seriously?!  :o   So, if I google that, it won't bring up anything dodgy will it?  :D
Yep. My new phone can hone on on photos and tells you the names of plants. I then wikid that name and was quite surprised to read about it.
If I see something I like the photo editor can also identify say, a pair of boots and then Google the prices in my locality. Tomorrow if its raining I am sending my new phone to do my daily 4 mile health walk, that will teach it a lesson. As I get older I am hoping that if I point my phone at someone it will give me their name and where I should know them from.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #310 on: 19:30:31, 03/11/19 »
..Tomorrow if its raining I am sending my new phone to do my daily 4 mile health walk, that will teach it a lesson. ...

;D   whilst you sit at home drinking brandy I presume?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #311 on: 19:35:02, 03/11/19 »

;D   whilst you sit at home drinking brandy I presume?
Good idea, thanks.  ;D

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #312 on: 19:49:11, 03/11/19 »
After reading JimBob's post about how his too-clever-by-half phone can tell the names of plants from photos, I copied the photo of the navelwort and dropped it onto this web page, https://www.imageidentify.com/

The answer came up as 'tree'.

Well, there is a tree trunk in the photo, so it was right in a way, but it was not the result I had hoped for.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #313 on: 19:57:55, 03/11/19 »
Maybe try the plant on the left of the pic?

Goes to show just how clever jimbob's phone is  :D

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #314 on: 19:58:11, 03/11/19 »
After reading JimBob's post about how his too-clever-by-half phone can tell the names of plants from photos, I copied the photo of the navelwort and dropped it onto this web page, https://www.imageidentify.com/

The answer came up as 'tree'.

Well, there is a tree trunk in the photo, so it was right in a way, but it was not the result I had hoped for.
I found the photo editor identification thingy by accident. It is great. The RHS identifier book I have shows Navelwort to be edible as does Wikipedia , but I wouldn't fancy trying it.
Did you want the tree species as well? ??? ?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy