Author Topic: Xzones or Black Holes on our maps?  (Read 33094 times)

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Re: Xzones or Black Holes on our maps?
« Reply #15 on: 10:42:17, 06/08/15 »
I started studying X zones because I wanted to learn more about lost ways. To me, they stand out from a map and political/social (anti  8) ) reasons why they are there are a matter of history.

What has become a subject that fascinates me is the potential of the lostways and other routes that could be found to unlock the countryside further.
Some will say that adopting the Scottish right of responsible access will be the answer, it would be the cheap shortcut but not the whole answer.

There are several lines of interest that develop from an exercise such as this. The one that comes uppermost to mind with this example is finding the links between areas X,Y and Z and walking them.

The surprise was finding that the routes through area Z were walk-able though not allowable and a trifle overgrown for the tastes of some, those who like their footpaths well manicured.
Area Y I know I can walk, I have known the owner for many years, already have permission to walk his drive any time but also know that he is unlikely to want it become a RoW.

I had hoped to have walked the whole route by now and make some observations about area X, but the rain and consequent late harvesting has put this in abeyance for the moment.

There are other X zones to explore in my area and a closer look at the maps available through the National Library of Scotland have made it much easier for me to access 1880's OS maps.

Just finding a path on an old map does not prove that it is a lost way and a lot more proof is needed to to get reinstatement.  I do not have the resources or the patience for this sort of research.

On another walking forum I was told in so many word that lost ways were not worth the bottle, by an active walker. If the line of thought is along the parameters of the Natural England Project into lostways that was abandoned after great expense, then I can understand this judgement but when you walk the ground, I think that, a different set of principles open up before your eyes.

However, despite being thrown off Shropshire County Councils Local Access Forum, I believe I have forced them to discuss the lost ways of Shropshire, by using the Public Question Time item on the agenda of their meetings.

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 09:24:50, 11/08/15 »

My thought for the day;
Can specific sections of footpath have more strategic importance than others? Is there a corollary here, where the absence of 'off road' access in a specific area will have strategic significance?

Here is a pretty piece of shading on the map, starting from a noticable area that is free of RoW's, it is extended out in a contiguous area of no access, in effect creating a exclusion zone around the area of Montford bridge, the focus as it is a bridge crossing of the River Severn. RoW's approach the bridge from the south but no RoW's approach from the north.

Why???? Is this an accident of history? The map shows a disused airfield and old maps will show that footpaths did approach the bridge from the north side if the bridge. Since the land around Forton was taken over for defence in the 2nd WW and the military airfield was discontinued immediately after the end of the war without the historical footpaths being re-instated, the three road approaches to the brige have been transformed by the increase in road traffic, to the extent that a new dual carriageway road and bridge have had to be built.

Net work of Footpaths shown on 1:6inch 1880's surveyed maps and prior to the building of the airfield and transposed onto a 1:25k OS map.

The Severn Way manages to sneak across the Montford Bridge, under west of the shadow of the 'X zone'. Would a NE access into a major cross county route have significance?

If there is strategic importance that improves access across a far greater distance than just the immediate local ammenity, should the recovery of these ways be left to chance that well meaning individuals will discover them or should local authorities be pushed into taking an active part in the repair of our access network?
BWW

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 11:16:36, 14/08/15 »

It is a rather curious shape hovering over the approaches to Montford Bridge and I think that looking at the area without off-road routes rather than the linear routes themselves adds to recognizing how good route design could be helped by lostways or the creation of ways through areas without RoW's.
The shape looks a bit like a spooky vampire and the wing on the right could be a bit of an unnessary add-on as there is a natural boundary with the confluence of the River Perry.

As this topic get about 50 hits per post I will keep the story going. I think it fair to blame the War Office or the Ministry of Defence as it has been called since political correctness started to creep in for about a thousand acres without RoW's where there should clearly have been some re-instatement but what about the addition river bank?

A line of ways that crosses property boundaries did exist between and Bromley Forge, which effectively linked  Montford Bridge to a bridge that crosses the River Perry at Myton in can be seen on the map that was surveyed in 1881 and exists to this day as a grey path on Explorer maps. What is not shown on todays maps are the links to the ways that were lost due to the temporary use of the Forton Heath as an aerodrome.
Anyway I will post the map, which has been created by stitching together parts of 2 sheets of the 1884 1in.-6in. OS map downloaded from the National Library of Scotland;

Going back to "Good  Route Design", what woud be the bulleted points that a critic might award points, three come to mind;
Good  Use of  Terrain, Avoiding busy Highway and Connecting Destinations.
 I think that there is a potential route here that scores rather highly but I will leave that for this post as I will leave the additional strategic potential of the links to further destinations as I have a few more map illustrations to prepare and leave any reader prepared to stick with my reasoning to ponder the shapes.

BWW

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 12:31:26, 27/08/15 »
There are more obvious Black Holes or Exclusion Zones in Shropshire, but I am tempted to dwell on this one before moving on, because of the importance of Montford Bridge as a crossing of the River Severn. To me certain lengths of path have  significant strategic merit but the more I try to explain this the more I find that some people cannot grasp this point. If someone continually walks circular routes it is perhaps understandable that a wider picture is not seen.

As a member of the Shropshire County Councils Local Access Forum for a number of years, I was repeatedly sat on, silenced and even scoffed at for trying to discuss the importance of Linear Routes. Not recognizing linear walking is a mistake and the X zone that denies off road access or approach to a bridge that has changed since the A5(T) altered the traffic profile of the area, shows up that weakness of a system of access that does not allow new routes to develop.
Even if the old routes were not there to show the way, surely there is a clear advantage of using this bridge for shared use between pedestrian and road traffic beyond local use and the benefit of an attractive approach to an old,attractive sandstone river crossing.

The old way from Bromley's Forge to Montford Bridge, by it name is giving a hint to the possible reason for it's use, not only shows a continuity of way in its main course but also is supported by tributaries which join it from the area stripped of ways after its use as an air field.

X zones not only block access but the also hide features. An Adjacent Area that is also short of public access hides the geology, which is the reason that the River turns as it does and is key to the Shrewsbury loop. The Bromley Forge path could unlock a barrier of privacy and show the way that shared use would benefit more than a privileged few.

Because only if you have walked the north bank of the River Severn down to Shrewsbury can you understand how the Severn Way could be improved to such a spectacular extent.
« Last Edit: 12:34:56, 27/08/15 by barewirewalker »
BWW

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 20:11:39, 08/09/15 »
From the above map the course of the River Severn is directly north, but before it turns gets to Shrewsbury it will totally reverse it's course and turn south, is the meandering of a river of interest to the walker, the walker who walks the Severn Way will never find out because the route chosen by committee, opted not to confront landowners and give the walker the answer to the geographical question why the River Severn changes course so dramatically.
The river meanders across the flood plane between the Welsh border until it hits a southern outcrop of sandstone that forms Cheshire's Sandstone trail, but 2 estates stop access to this.

[/URL]
Again, this is the result of a very slanted interpretation of the 'Will of Parliament' in the creation of the Definitive Map. An approach to the core geology of the phenomenon that alters the course of the river, positioned in the map above in the curved wooded section against the east bank of the river as it is turned south, has been denied to us. There is a mile and a half of lost way that goes right across one of the estates.
The 2 exclusion zones are separated by an area around Fitz by footpaths , which come in toward the river from the north, but what use are they? They cannot go anywhere, a few local dog owners may use them to exercises their pooches but these paths do not give any excellence to a wider locality that should be allowed by their situation.
BWW

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 14:11:42, 11/09/15 »
I started this thread off, describing 3 X zones that interrupt a potential X country route between Cressage and Dorrington. Yesterday I set off to walk most of the route  and had I managed to complete it I might now be looking to post a TR. I walked 2 sections I have never walked before, but did not quite finish the route as agricultural activity in a key field made me take a detour which then made it possible that I might miss a bus and had to alter direction to ensure making the connection.

The part I did walk made me realise that I was walking a quality route, if I were to be offering to guide someone across Shropshire I would not hesitate to suggest this line provided I could get permission to walk the sections 'Off RoW' and those parts 'On RoW' are sadly underused because the investment in walk furniture allows access to great parts of the local countryside.

Although I walked some paths I had never walked before, I have walked in that area, my previous routes were circular, often crossing that area in a different direction so the full impact of their value as a linear route had not struck me.

I also saw something that made me think that there was more to this route than the accidental lining up of two separate ways leading back to a common watershed. There were a cluster of Scot's Pines situated in a position as if they were supposed to be seen from a distance. I asked myself am I walking part of an ancient Drover's Way.
BWW

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 13:33:28, 24/09/15 »
Looking at the south end of the above X zone, several RoW's seem to come to an abrupt end. A quick look in my photobucket album reminds me that I have referred to this before area before because this is that classic anomaly, told to me by a RoW enforcement officer, caused by the political differences during the compiling of the Definitve Map. A not so quick and unsuccessful search on if and where I used it on this forum ensued ???

When I previously used this bit of map I did not have the 1st and 2nd editions of the 6in/mile of OS map made available by the NationaL Library of Scotland. Knowing the farmer who tenanted Gravel Hill farm, I am aware that the BOAT shown was called Church Lane and one might infer that was it's purpose but according to a 96 year old lady of my acquaintance the continuity of route was much more.
So this is why I have downloaded copies of the 1902 OS map and stitched parts of 2 together.

It is interesting getting the history of this footpath from someone who knew of it's existence 70-80 years ago and to compare that to the sort of excuses used by landowners today that these areas were always "Private Estates". I know from my source that the footpath went right across the estate, it was used by the lady to take her father's farm horses to the smithy to be shod but was also used regularly by many others. It in fact linked up a large house called Leaton Knowles to the town, which was the home of the owner of the adjacent estate, however this house was demolished in the 1950's. So the domestic staff needed to run such an establishment did not need foot access across the estate. It was, I am assured, a RoW as the owner used to instruct the then tenant of the farm to maintain it.
This lady and her brother, in the their late teens used to ride through the Leaton Knowles Estate and this route is shown as the line I have walked, if I were using the 1902 map I might not be quite so concerned with a clear throughway of continuity being a right of way.
The rather silly contention of landowners nowadays is that we wish to have access for leisure, as if that belittles the use of 'through routes' which may have served other purposes in a bygone age.
A shifty character with pockets bulging with pheasants would no doubt unwelcome on those off road tracks and ways but would this attitude have applied to the travelling knife grinder passing from large house to house, as with the local parson or doctor on calls, so would an innocent foot traveler perhaps visiting family have also enraged a sense of property.
The yellow dotted line follows a footpath under the northern end of 'Leaton Shelf', it gives access to fishermen to neatly spaced places to fish from until it ends at a brook which appears to be the estate boundary. I climbed over this into water meadows, that had gave me a clear and pleasant walk into Fitz, a village that is situated on a quiet loop off the main road, so that you do not get tangled up with fast traffic, that is indicated by the red colouring of the main highway.
BWW

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 14:01:02, 30/09/15 »
 I don't think I will dwell on the Berwick / Leaton Knowles X Zone any more, those who are interested in these things, perhaps that will be sometime in the future may connect the possible route through and the ways lost through the Forton Aerodrome (WW2 vintage).

The reflections that compiling this topic have led to answering  a few questions in my own mind. On another forum I asked if Lostways were important, one regular contributor said that Lostways were a waste of time because focus should be elsewhere.  There are two things that finding X Zones and asking the question; Do they have an affect..........? Brings to Mind.
 First they point to areas where there are lost ways and second the indicate areas where there should be access. The history of our access is built partly on to two major building stones A. The mapping done by the OS at the latter end of the 19th century and B. The mid 20th century creation of the Definitive Map, courtesy of the 1949 Act.

One thing the old maps and there subsequent editions show is an evolving network based on the need to get on foot to the transport network that was developing very fast. Railway was taking overt from the Canals and it is only later after the creation of the DM that the roads/Highway network became an unsafe place for the pedestrian and equestrian.

I think my next X Zone will show the anomaly more clearly. The positive effect of a lostway could be that it brings into play existing rights of way that are not fully playing their part in the network, the negative effect is part the lost played in a bygone age and does this have any value today. I think this points very clearly how the access network of the past evolved with the needs of the community then and therefore shows how the mothballing effect we have today does not allow public need to show where routes should develop.

Even the footfall of few could lead to a valuable new way.
« Last Edit: 14:04:03, 30/09/15 by barewirewalker »
BWW

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 17:23:29, 18/11/15 »
I have tried to show how areas without PRoW's can have a strategic affect on an areas attraction as a place to walk or walk through. Forton Aerodrome has cut off approach to Montford bridge, since the building or the A5(T) a new bridge has taken the volume of traffic from this crossing of the river Severn, so it now becomes a part of a route, but the network was not repaired after WW2 and a potential asset is lost.

Another X zone has come to my attention on another topic;
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=12299.0

I looked up this area and found that I had made a note of Pudlestone Court, it had come to my attention some years ago and I had made a note of the anomaly that a once grand house, had been reduced to surrounding grounds of 45 acres.

But this house has left a substantial negative legacy on the county's access network, I don't know the size of the original estate connected to this house, but I suspect there was one and the lack of PRoW's makes me suspect that the usual corruption of the Definitive Map took place that seems to be connected with  so many large houses.

When the area surrounding is added to a contiguous area without off road access it can become sizable.

The area shaded out till hitting off road RoW's is shown on the map and is 2680 acres, this is the equivalent of 11 kilometer grid squares. Not being local I could not see a reason to mention it other than " Oh look yet another big house that has put a blot on the Definitive Map".

However XWEST's topic has stirred another line of thought which might be helpful to those wishing to improve our access to the countryside. Nearby a landowner is trying to close down a PRoW by illegal means, the access network is a social amenity that allows a certain amount of access in that locality, however such areas as thisreduces the average access available in that location and making the loss of amenity nearby more noticeable.

Just looking at the map makes me feel that this is interesting terrain, I suspect that there are lost ways NE of the area, which would add considerably to E to W continuity of way.

Anyway perhaps some might think that this topic is a Shropshire topic, thanks XWEST for reminding me of this example, I hope it gives you added strength to your case re the Hamnish Path, which is, I suspect, somewhere to the NW of this area.
« Last Edit: 15:49:08, 19/11/15 by barewirewalker »
BWW

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 14:22:37, 20/11/15 »
When I started this topic I had noticed how areas without access reduced the effectiveness of RoW in adjoining areas and this idea prompted me to start the the topic. There are number of other such areas in my locality which are larger and have other social consequences. I believe that these problems are mirrored elsewhere, in fact I was firmly put down during a meeting of Shropshire LAF for trying to use an out of county example to demonstrate a local problem.  

The 'continuity of way' that is interrupted by the Xzones between Cressage and Dorrington is a loss of commercial asset for the county, which is aggravated by the fact that it seems clear that lostways actually complete up this route.

XWEST's topic here;
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=12299.msg450519;topicseen#msg450519
has drawn my attention to the Xzone above and it has triggered a recollection. A few years ago I was exploring a so called 'Private Estate', where I got into conversation with a tenant of one of the properties on the estate, as I knew the owner I was able to use a degree of familiarity that presumed that I was there with consent. I learnt that the owner had instructed his tenants to inform him of anyone they saw on the estate and that they themselves were discouraged from walking very far from their properties. This chatty guy told me that living there was very like being under house arrest during the shooting season.
The rural population has changed enormously over the last 60 years, when I grew up on a farm there was at least one family per 50 acres living in premises in the locality. By the time I was farm managing I was running a team of around 15 employees for a 1000 acre farm.

With the recent property boom landowners have cashed in the value of both renting and selling off housing and increasing the rural housing stock with barn conversions.

XWEST topic points to this conflict of interest but it also high lights another, rateable value, is a property in an area deprived of access as commercially valuable as a property with immediate access to the surrounding countryside? The owner of Pudlestone Court or a like person may claim that their lifestyle is dependant on more privacy but that asset value deprives others of an amenity.

Within a region this dilution effect may well make a difference to how property owners react to rights of way. It seems clear that the highlighting of access by right of way has fixated the notion of Private Land. Scotland has neutralised the more unpleasant symptoms of this conflict.
BWW

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 20:21:03, 16/12/15 »
Do ordinary people need to look at areas of their countryside and say why are we not allowed there?  

Find an area that raises this question and then match the personalities to it and it becomes an interesting example of social science. Of course those of us who are expected to 'Knuckle our For'heads' to superior wisdom, will find the explanation of simple logic twisted into manic contortions.

So when I started to dig into the inexplicable loss of old ways into the above example I soon stumbled, through the internet on a nearby office holder of the Country landowners' Association, and I located his abode on the OS map. It is a curious coincidence that an X zone extends from that property, despite there being an abundance of ways extending from it on old maps.

It is only a few miles south of this blank area of countryside that must affect the access of the the populace of Leominster, that this phenomenon is repeated. This exclusion zone is 7250 acres, the equivalent area of 30 km grid squares.

Now I am not going to post the old maps or even try to illustrate the many old footpaths that quarter this area in all points of the compass, but the map below shows the size of 7250 acres on the !: 600k map;

This map shows that the X zone lies on a line from the bridge crossing the river Severn at Upton on Severn to Rhayader, even if the ways were left of the DM were an accident of history, What Routes might be there if they had been in place?  

Has anyone explored this area as a walker? Do we know if there are assets that might add to the access network of the UK? If anyone doubts the importance of this line of travel they only have to look elsewhere on this forum at the crossings of the Green Desert and the Monk's Trod. Why cross a natural barrier, such as the River Severn at a disadvantage to traffic? Especially when there is a crossing that adds the Malvern Hills to the the line of travel.

Would you buy a drop of wine from a business that is based on this apparent history of not sharing the countryside with its fellows? Because it must surely be apparent to an owner, who participates in the debate of access, that his forbears have added to the anomalies that frustrate the access network from being a useful asset in the business of GB plc.  

This is the picture that has unravelled to me from searching the internet, as I stumble over the enormous tract of our countryside that we are allowed no access to.         
BWW

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 13:17:06, 18/12/15 »
I have made a small improvement in my grasp of GIMP, and an ability to use it. Making and loading my own brushes has made it much quicker to annotate a map. So the No Entry sign was just clicking on the square off the map that does not seem to have any footpaths in it. This is the picture of the previous area but an overview on the 1;25k OS map. I wonder if I shall have chance in the spring or summer to go down there and have a look at this area.

I did have a customer, back in more productive days, in this area but my memory of driving through it in a van delivering my wares is more of high hedgerows. The map does make it look to be quite interesting terrain. What are the mathematics of keeping land solely reserved for shooting, not many more that 25 guns got a days shooting per week out of an estate covering a thousand acres back when I knew more about it. With artificially reared birds perhaps 50 might share 2 days per week, this is still quite low for the loss of amenity in such a large area.
« Last Edit: 13:22:03, 18/12/15 by barewirewalker »
BWW

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 13:14:08, 18/01/16 »

Curiosity got the better of me and I downloaded the 1885 edition of the OS map, sheet XX SW Herefordshire and with a few wet days to fill in traced some of the tracks and footpaths that seemed to represent more than 'short cut of yesteryear' and 'ways to work', in fact there seems to be a pattern that adds to today's access network and fills in 'continuity of way' right across the X zone (area without rights of way). These tracings are shown as dotted red lines, bit like the tracks of blood poisoning I got up my arm from an infected finger.

Did I say earlier in this post that this area is about 7000 acres without rightful access to the countryside? How did such obvious parts of our historic footpath network get left off the Definitive map when comparison with surrounding parishes shows that it was the same routes that were mapped to fulfill the objectives of the 1949 act.

Its noticeable that the Parish of Pencombe with Grendon Warren seems to fallen short in its civic duties, with the adjoining area to Broadfield Court being similarly infected with the same ailment.

We have an X zone of similar size in North Shropshire, which contains several natural features of note and a very large Iron Age Hill fort;
https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1020284
Mrs BWW and I enjoyed a 7.5 mile trespass, some years ago, visiting this site and incorporating it with other features all connected by paths, tracks and field margins that conformed with the topography to provide a route that would equal any classic walk in similar terrain.

I wonder what could be found in in this area apart from a bottle of 'Chateau Broadfield Court' soured by the selfish attitudes of its landowner's past.

BWW

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 13:04:58, 29/04/16 »
Just over a week ago I was walking west of Oswestry, close by the Offa's Dyke path, knowing a bit about Shropshire and its old families, I was aware we were walking on the fringes of the Brogyntyn Estate, the house was sold in the 1950's by the Ormesby-Gore family / Lord Harlech to settle death duties and the house was used to house a telephone exchange, this may account for Rights of Way that lead to and from the house making the area of the old estate seem reasonably accessible.

But as Corruption of the Definitive Map and Landed Gentry seem to go hand in hand or are coupled together like a horse and cart, it should have occurred to me that there might be something fishy about the original composition of the DM in this area.

On this topic
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=32300.15
 I posted a comment with this picture

We were walking without a map, following fingerposts and would have gone further north if a suitable way had opened up, so on my return home I check the map and was surprised to find an area of over 1600 acres without RoW's,

A closer look on the 1:25,000 scale maps shows that the OS were also surprised that there mapping of footpaths were not included as RoW and showed a grey path across the center of this Zone of exclusion approximately along the line of the pink shading in the middle. So I did not have to go looking on any old 6in OS maps to see if there was any possible Lost Ways.

Seems to me that X zones and Lost Ways go together like Bread and Butter and you only have to look at the surrounding pack of sandwiches to find out where the chef has been mean and forgotten to butter the bread.

The grey path crosses the  X zone above Bradhouse farm and would appear to be the missing part of a continuity of way to the east and west which leads to Gobowen Station. As many old halts are no longer part of the rail network, they often show the original intention of the old footpath network. Here the station is still active, so does this black spot blank off a valuable asset.
This is the area shown on the larger scale of 1:600,000 road map.  

The Harlech - Talybont stretch of coast line is a particularly good target area for the Long Distance walker as the coastal rail line in the lea of the Rhinogs is well provided for with request stops.
Just a shame the Gobowen jumping off point is marred by a seemingly blatant gap in what could be a full set of historical footpaths.

BWW

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 14:41:54, 01/05/16 »
Having spent time on a Local Access Forum, it worries me that so little informed study has been put into the network of footpaths we rely on to access our countryside and the revenue it creates for our national economy. Very small observations can be made, from which lessons might be learnt, but National England cost the tax payer enormous sums in a so called study of lostways and yet no legacy of learning has come from it.

Our footpath network is made up of yesterday's shortcuts and old routes to work, this is the knowledgable assessment of an office holder to the landowners' organisation, who played a part in creating the landowners' national policy on Rights of Way. This policy does not recognise that their former members were largely responsible for the Corruption of the Definitive Map and therefore, we will probably drift towards the cut off date of 2026 with little actual knowledge of the value to be lost.

Taking a closer view of the lostway at Bradhouse farm, what can the actual line of the path indicate about it's original purpose?;

A local shortcut will go directly to the venues that the length of footpath that is supposed to be a shortcut between. The 2 arrows in the close up section of 1:25k map shows the footpath follows the hedgeline away from the farm joining the farm access track as close to the highway as is possible and the very names of the holdings give some indication of the size of the holdings in their former days, which leads to reasonable conclusions about where the field gates might have been so that those other members of the community, who created these paths, chose their route across other peoples land.

It is these routes that the Act of  Parliament in 1949 tried to break the landowner hold over our countryside with and so give to all people a free and even access to it.

Not being the cleverest of folk, I have to use my fair share of low cunning, to reason out problems that seem to bog down those more learned gentlemen of the law, with university degrees and letters after their names. How many more little snippets of interest are lying around on maps that are out in the public domain? Which not only show that mistakes were made, but also indicates a sensible solution that cannot be reached because the law does not allow it.
BWW

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy