Author Topic: Gordale Scar question...  (Read 5050 times)

Petrolhead

Gordale Scar question...
« on: 17:13:23, 21/11/18 »
Hi guys.

Hoping to hit this spot very soon. Possibly this weekend.

Now, the route I'm looking at is a circular one with a cul de sac up the scar at the bottom to the waterfall. All good. BUT, I would really like to see the top of the area above the waterfall and I'm struggling to find how to get there.

Yes I know it's possible to climb up the side of the waterfall but honestly, that's a bit beyond our skill set. So I'm hoping to do the circular walk and then somehow get up to the top as easy as possible so we can see that bit too.

Can anyone help please?  

Cheers

Mes.  

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Gordale Scar question...
« Reply #1 on: 18:20:37, 21/11/18 »
Here you go:

http://www.happyhiker.co.uk/MyWalks/YorkshireDales/GordaleScarandMalhamCove/Hiking%20Pages%20-%20Gordale%20Scar%20and%20Malham%20Cove.htm

This shows and describes an alternative route to the top avoiding climbing up through Gordale Scar.

Hope that helps.... and enjoy  O0

davengf

« Reply #2 on: 18:31:41, 21/11/18 »
Hi

You can access it from the car park on lane by Malham Tarn. Follow the road east then south from car park and the path to top of Gordale Scar splits off to the left.

When I am in the area, I camp at Gordale Scar Campsite and do a circular walk from there to Malham Cove.

Basically turn left out of campsite, follow the road uphill past the farm and continue up to a track that runs west to east. Head west along this track through Roman Camp to Malham Tarn then head south along the Pennine Way to the top of Malham Cove then either head down the steps into Malham village or continue on the Pennine Way back to Gordale Scar campsite.

One of my favourite walks.

Petrolhead

« Reply #3 on: 13:53:51, 23/11/18 »
Here you go:

http://www.happyhiker.co.uk/MyWalks/YorkshireDales/GordaleScarandMalhamCove/Hiking%20Pages%20-%20Gordale%20Scar%20and%20Malham%20Cove.htm

This shows and describes an alternative route to the top avoiding climbing up through Gordale Scar.

Great link. Thanks a lot Mel, really appreciated.

Petrolhead

« Reply #4 on: 13:54:36, 23/11/18 »
Hi

You can access it from the car park on lane by Malham Tarn. Follow the road east then south from car park and the path to top of Gordale Scar splits off to the left.

When I am in the area, I camp at Gordale Scar Campsite and do a circular walk from there to Malham Cove.

Basically turn left out of campsite, follow the road uphill past the farm and continue up to a track that runs west to east. Head west along this track through Roman Camp to Malham Tarn then head south along the Pennine Way to the top of Malham Cove then either head down the steps into Malham village or continue on the Pennine Way back to Gordale Scar campsite.

One of my favourite walks.

Good info Dave, cheers mate. That sorts me right out!

It looks absolutely spectacular. Really looking forward to it.

Petrolhead

« Reply #5 on: 17:25:06, 02/01/19 »
Mel and Dave, just wanted to say thanks for your help. It's always good to know what you're going to be up against before you get there. Cheers guys.

Gordale Scar was INCREDIBLE. It's like being in Iceland. Utterly stunning place and one of my absolute favourites I've been to. The top portion of the waterfall is absolutely breathtaking.

The water was really in FULL flow so as I expected, climbing up it wasn't really an option for two novices. But having had a good look at it up close, I definitely fancy having a go when it's a little less torrential.

Anyway, thanks guys. Definitely need to go back here asap.

Toxicbunny

« Reply #6 on: 22:53:32, 06/01/19 »
Here you go:

Thanks for the link. I did Malham cove and went the alternative route. I watched many people try to scramble up Gordale scar without success. Even when there was hardly any water.

RM1978

« Reply #7 on: 15:06:04, 27/08/19 »

The water was really in FULL flow so as I expected, climbing up it wasn't really an option for two novices. But having had a good look at it up close, I definitely fancy having a go when it's a little less torrential.

I have climbed it when the water was a mere trickle and then climbed up and out of the gorge. The views from the top of the gorge are spectacular and well worth the effort. If you are physically up to it then the climb up the waterfall is fairly simple when dry. It's just a case of knowing where to put your feet. My aim is now to do it when the waterfall is in full flow. Waterproofs are essential of course.

Dread

« Reply #8 on: 15:17:42, 27/08/19 »
It's really just the first six foot or so that's a little bit tricky. I'm climbed it with the kids in trainers lots of times. Lots of solid footholds.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy