Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 276052 times)

BillyHill

Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #1680 on: 07:02:43, 17/09/21 »
Birdhouse Moor, Helvellyn, and Catstycam today.
Looking forward too it.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1681 on: 20:45:12, 20/09/21 »
Short Walk up great Mis tor with MrsG today, after a yummy lunch at the old Police Station in Princetown.  :)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1682 on: 18:30:54, 21/09/21 »
We have just returned to Wooler after a day out at Seahouses. We went on a boat trip to the Farne Islands, saw lots of seals, amazing experience then walked on the beach to Bamburgh and back. A grand day out!
Hate will never win

BillyHill

« Reply #1683 on: 13:47:57, 23/09/21 »
Up Great Langdale yesterday.

Dungeon Ghyll then up Pavey Ark via Jacks Rake, Thunacar Knott, Harrison Stickle, Pike Of Stickle and Loft Crag.
Perfect walking conditions and the grey skies only adding to the contrast of the lush landscape around there.

I think Langdale is possibly my favourite area of the lakes. Just seems to have everything I enjoy (although currently a little busy).
Where else would you experienced Lakeland walkers suggest I should see aside from the well trodden loop I did yesterday?

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1684 on: 14:15:10, 23/09/21 »
See my TR earlier this year - High Level Traverse onto Pillar - you won't meet many/any and its a beauty!  If you are based round Langdale how about the climbers traverse onto Bowfell, then take your pick, Esk Pike or Crinkle Crags, Cold Pike etc.

Whatever you decide - enjoy

BillyHill

« Reply #1685 on: 14:20:17, 23/09/21 »
Thanks a lot pdstsp  :)

Will deffo have a look at your TR.

I know that there is already a great accommodation thread, but is there anywhere you would recommend that would make a good base for the suggestions you made?

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1686 on: 14:44:23, 23/09/21 »
For Ennerdale - Ennerdale Bridge has a couple of pubs with rooms, The Fox and Hounds and the Shepherds Arms.  Only stayed in the Fox and Hounds when I did the C2C in 2019, and it was fine.  Eaten at both - no complaints.  I have wild camped on the fells above Ennerdale a couple of times recently too.   There are also a few bed and breakfasts, I have stayed at Thorntrees and it is excellent.  During C2C season they do get busy as this tends to be the end of Day1 for most people.

For Langdale - take your pick! But be prepared for weekend prices and crowds.  I have always found the staff in the New Dungeon Ghyll really friendly, but the place lacks the charm of the Old version up the road.  The NT campsite is very good.

BillyHill

« Reply #1687 on: 15:01:53, 23/09/21 »
For Ennerdale - Ennerdale Bridge has a couple of pubs with rooms, The Fox and Hounds and the Shepherds Arms.  Only stayed in the Fox and Hounds when I did the C2C in 2019, and it was fine.  Eaten at both - no complaints.  I have wild camped on the fells above Ennerdale a couple of times recently too.   There are also a few bed and breakfasts, I have stayed at Thorntrees and it is excellent.  During C2C season they do get busy as this tends to be the end of Day1 for most people.

For Langdale - take your pick! But be prepared for weekend prices and crowds.  I have always found the staff in the New Dungeon Ghyll really friendly, but the place lacks the charm of the Old version up the road.  The NT campsite is very good.

Thanks a lot mate, good to know  O0

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1688 on: 22:00:17, 23/09/21 »
Twagged off work early today for another "training session" on the Holderness Munros  :D

By 'eck it wor breezy it wor.  Lovely and blustery and sunshiney.  Perfect  :)

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1689 on: 09:10:26, 24/09/21 »
Off to Kendal this morning, based at Ingleton for the weekend. Many old haunts to visit !

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1690 on: 18:25:41, 24/09/21 »
A lovely short circuit of the SWCP today, with Mrs G and our daughter. Nos Mayo, Stoke Cross, Warren Cottage. Ferry Cottage. with a lunch stop at the signal hut.  Under 7 miles but a route I would recommend to any one and beautiful weather too  O0

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1691 on: 18:01:18, 29/09/21 »
I walked today in the Mott's Mill and Eridge area in the High Weald, partly on the Sussex Border Path.  Just a short walk but so beautiful, with valleys and ghyll woodland.  It's one of my favourite places for walking  -  and this was the first time I'd been there since covid, so it was quite a thrill to be there    :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1692 on: 20:31:29, 29/09/21 »
10 miles with a heavy pack (an aborted wild camp), starting near Dockray, then traversing above Glencoyne Park to Glencoyne Head, Stybarrow Dodd, Watsons Dodd, Great Dodd, where I decided to bail out in view of the disgusting forecast. A cold and wet Tess had her tail between her legs!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1693 on: 16:35:07, 30/09/21 »
Out bagging a few final remote tors yesterday. I think I upset a land owner too, as some one hurled abuse my way from a boundary fence, as I was leaving Rowdon Rock, SX 812860.  But I didn't wait to chat.  My Phone plain refused to open the OS App yesterday, so I was navigating from a loose 50k print out.  When I checked later I had been on private land. Ho hum. :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1694 on: 17:04:14, 06/10/21 »
Where else would you experienced Lakeland walkers suggest I should see aside from the well trodden loop I did yesterday?

Where to start...

Pretty much anywhere away from the well known hills, for example the Kentmere Horseshoe, Back O'Skidda, Black Combe, the Dodds, and if you are looking for real solitude, why not explore some of the out of the way corners like:

Hard Tarn below Nethermost Pike
Glencoyne Head path above Ullswater
Nether Beck north of Wast Water
Lingcove Beck below Bowfell
Green Crag and the other hills south of Eskdale

PS - the most remote spot that I have been to this year is probably The Other Langdale - a trackless valley that runs for miles into the heart of the Howgills.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy