Author Topic: Coast to Coast FKT (Fastest Known Time)  (Read 2027 times)

Slogger

• Veteran Member
Coast to Coast FKT (Fastest Known Time)
« on: 22:04:04, 16/09/21 »
No, not by me! My fastest self supported crossing is 4 days 15 hours. An unsupported crossing of 4 days 12 hours, has been registered with the FKT website by Dexter Blake. Mind Dexter is in his early 30's, I was 72 years. Good to hear about others having a go at doing things differently to the norm and the way they prefer to do things.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Re: Coast to Coast FKT (Fastest Known Time)
« Reply #1 on: 11:23:13, 19/09/21 »
Cracking achievement - though I quite enjoyed a leisurely 11 day crossing!

Was your 4 day 15 hour crossing the one when my daughter and I met you on the section to Honister and you were suffering badly with cramp and thinking of abandoning? 

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:18:01, 19/09/21 »

https://fastestknowntime.com/route/wainwrights-coast-coast-united-kingdom

What is the difference between self supported and unsupported?

My best time was just over 7 days but I think I enjoyed the walk more when I took 13 days over it.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:16:05, 19/09/21 »
...What is the difference between self supported and unsupported?

Unsupported means no external support; you carry everything - so no popping into a shop for supplies for example.

Self-supported means that you can make use of things that are available to anyone - so popping into a shop is okay!

Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:35:44, 19/09/21 »
Unsupported means no external support; you carry everything - so no popping into a shop for supplies for example.

Self-supported means that you can make use of things that are available to anyone - so popping into a shop is okay!

Thanks.The late Geoff Bell was the pioneer of these unsupported attempts with his 4 days 21 hours Pennine Way in 1981.Back then we referred to it as solo as all the other attempts at the PW record were done using road support and pacers.As far as I am aware he even carried his own water!

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:02:06, 03/10/21 »
Cracking achievement - though I quite enjoyed a leisurely 11 day crossing!

Was your 4 day 15 hour crossing the one when my daughter and I met you on the section to Honister and you were suffering badly with cramp and thinking of abandoning?
Yes it was. Going well until Loft Beck when my upper thighs began severely hurting and I had to rest evry few metres during the ascent. I reached the top exhausted. I couldn't understand it as I'd never experienced anything like that before. Anyway I plodded on, on legs that didn't want to know any further climbs. I reached Grasmere at around 8.30pm, totally done in and decided to retire from my attempt there. I managed to get b&b. I awake around 6.30am, it was a beautiful morning, so rather than rush home decided to plod on at a pace my legs were comfortable with. I left Grasmere at 8am. During the climb from Patterdale my legs began to come to and i managed to keep on going through Shap, past sunbiggin tarn and reached Smardale Bridge at 3am next morning where I pitched my tent. I had clawed back all my lost time and was now back on schedule. I left there at 6am. Next overnight stops were Grinton near Reeth, Ingleby Cross where I only camped for a few hours late afternoon, and went on from there at 11pm on the 4th day and reached RHB the next day early evening. I now realise that my problem with my upper thighs on Loft Beck were to do with my hip arthritis. Currently one replacement done and awaiting the other.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:10:16, 06/10/21 »
Yes I remember meeting up with you shortly before the descent to Honister, and then following you on line for the next four days!  Fingers are crossed the second hip gets sorted soon. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy