Author Topic: Cold feet, how do you keep yours warm?  (Read 1607 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Cold feet, how do you keep yours warm?
« on: 18:02:03, 17/09/21 »
I'm going to climb Great Gable on November 11th and I remember clearly that when I last climbed it in 2019 and how cold my feet became as I got near to the summit. It was a very cold day anyway, with a bit of surface snow around and an uncomfortable wind as well.

I was wearing my Berghaus Superlight boots, Sorbothane inserts and thickish socks, I don't know the blend or the brand. I'd never had cold feet before but I did on that day.

So any suggestions about how to solve such a problem if it happens to me again?

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
Re: Cold feet, how do you keep yours warm?
« Reply #1 on: 18:46:33, 17/09/21 »
Do it in June!

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:19:30, 17/09/21 »
The Berghaus Supalite boots are an extemely lightweight 2-3 season boot (nearer 2 season than 3) and I believe they're the lightest leather boot on the market hence thin and are definitely not designed or intended for winter cold weather high level use. A 3 Season leather boot would be constructed from thicker leather and therefore provide more protection.

I would suggest that you would also benefit from wearing 2 pairs of thinner merino wool socks rather than just one pair of thick, blend and brand unknown socks. The air trapped between the layers would improve the warmth.

You may not like it but probably the biggest benefit could be gained by wearing a decent pair of Gore-Tex or eVent gaiters over the top of those thin boots.

Wear clothing and footwear appropriate to the time of year and the weather conditions.

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:34:01, 17/09/21 »
Oddly, cold feet are a bit of an alien concept to me (short of taking my shoes off, obviously). Until recently I didn’t suffer from cold hands either, but now I need to wear gloves on cold days. On the other hand, I really suffer with being too hot!!

(Obviously zero help here!)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:40:57, 17/09/21 »
My winter footwear is 3 season leather boots, thin Tesco thermal socks (high wool content), with a thicker pair of loop stitch socks over the top of them. If it is wet, I'll be wearing waterproof overtrousers too  - I know that you don't go down this route, gwm, but covering the legs with an impermeable windproof and waterproof layer helps to keep both legs and feet warm.

In really cold conditions, especially with snow on the ground, I will be wearing fibre pile salopettes under my overtrousers, and gaiters on my boots - makes me feel indestructible and keeps me toasty, even in full on winter conditions.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:20:26, 17/09/21 »
Cut insoles from radiator insulation...very thin foam silverised on one side. Place under regular insoles shiny side up to reflect heat back  into your boots.
It's all uphill from here.

BillyHill

« Reply #6 on: 23:45:22, 17/09/21 »
Can we extend this thread to hands / fingers?  :-[

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:52:33, 18/09/21 »
I've no problem with my hands/fingers. I use a cheap pair of Thinsulate gloves (£1.99 at Decathlon last year) and if it gets colder I just pull my Montane mittens over them. Of course, they will only work down to a certain temperature but to date, my hands have never been what I call cold. I've had cold hands in the past when they have been wet for too long but I've solved that problem now by 'inventing' a couple of waterproof conical tubes that secure around my wrist and overhang my fingers by about an inch.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:53:26, 18/09/21 »
I have some reflective radiator insulation, I'll give that a go, thanks.

BillyHill

« Reply #9 on: 11:39:18, 18/09/21 »
I've no problem with my hands/fingers. I use a cheap pair of Thinsulate gloves (£1.99 at Decathlon last year) and if it gets colder I just pull my Montane mittens over them. Of course, they will only work down to a certain temperature but to date, my hands have never been what I call cold. I've had cold hands in the past when they have been wet for too long but I've solved that problem now by 'inventing' a couple of waterproof conical tubes that secure around my wrist and overhang my fingers by about an inch.

My issue with cold fingers / hands is a bit more fundamental to be honest.
I think Im pretty fit for my age in general and lead a fairly healthy lifestyle.
But more recently in winter, at times I think you could put a pin through my finger tips and I wouldn’t feel much pain.
I’m ok walking in most conditions with thick gloves on, but as soon as I remove them and exposed to the cold, they soon become numb.
One of those things, doesn’t stop me doing my thing and there are worse things in life to worry about

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:18:24, 18/09/21 »
My issue with cold fingers / hands is a bit more fundamental to be honest.
I think Im pretty fit for my age in general and lead a fairly healthy lifestyle.
But more recently in winter, at times I think you could put a pin through my finger tips and I wouldn’t feel much pain.
I’m ok walking in most conditions with thick gloves on, but as soon as I remove them and exposed to the cold, they soon become numb.
One of those things, doesn’t stop me doing my thing and there are worse things in life to worry about

It sounds like you may possibly have Raynaud's Syndrome?

Put Raynaud's in the search box top right on every page and see what results it throws up. Also check Google.

BillyHill

« Reply #11 on: 12:24:11, 18/09/21 »
It sounds like you may possibly have Raynaud's Syndrome?

Put Raynaud's in the search box top right on every page and see what results it throws up. Also check Google.

Thanks!
I’ll type that in (once  my fingers have warmed up  :) )

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:08:51, 18/09/21 »
For winter I wear my 3 season leather boots. Cotton sports socks from Sports direct and winter walking socks from Peacocks.  The only change for summer, if I'm wearing those boots, is I wear summer walking socks over my sports socks. But I seldom wear boots in summer. Works fine on solid ice or warm peat.  O0

Personally I think much of it is down to the circulation, in your feet.  If it's good then you can cope with quite a big range of temps, if not then you need to change your foot wear more. But I'm no expert on such matters.

Thomas Pedersson

« Reply #13 on: 10:18:14, 20/09/21 »
Hi. I have Raynauds phenomenon, in my hands one or two pairs of buffalo P&P mittens and a gtx over mitt as required. Feet my feet are okay in winter with two pairs of merino liner socks or Lorpen liners, leaving enough room to easily wiggle toes, I wouldn't recommend cotton socks, once wet they stay wet. I remember doing my winter ML in the late 90s and many participants had similar cold feet issues despite thick socks, but compression from lack of boot volume lead to poor foot circulation. Certainly something to consider.
I have dedicated winter boots for cooler, wetter, snow and ice, big clumpy boot warm and secure, as in a previous topic I use Trezeta Evo Top or Itturi cold weather high liability boots.
Now point two foot anti persperant, I never leave the house on a walk without spraying them, damp feet and boots conduct heat away from your feet, and also damp sweaty feet are more prone to blisters as wet skins tear and abrasion strength is diminished.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 21:08:15, 21/09/21 »
I never suffer from cold feet.  Not in foot temperature terms anyway..

(also of no help to the OP whatsoever  :D  )

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy